PDA

View Full Version : Starjet L1011 at CDG?

FurbleFawks
19th Sep 2013, 03:43
Hello, bit of a query here for the TriStar fans, like myself...

I believe that at Paris CDG, since 2005 there's been an abandoned Tristar (pictured below). I've emailed the airport authority to ask if this is still just going to stay there until they decide it will be scrapped, if they know the 'owners' will be making arrangements, or are they going to donate it off to the Le Bourget museum. I did get a reply, basically saying they had no idea what I was talking about and that I should speak to the museum. Not helpful, but hey, oh well.

Can anyone shed any light on what is happenning with this jet? - I believe it was last photographed in 2012 looking fairly grotty but in good condition.

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/5/2/7/96015_1120507725.jpg

DaveReidUK
19th Sep 2013, 10:56
Can anyone shed any light on what is happenning with this jet?It's an orphan. It was grounded by the DGAC following an incident in July 2005 when operating a service for Olympic.

The BEA were pretty forthright about their view of the operator in the investigation report. Some extracts:

"The investigation also showed that the airplane was in bad overall condition and that the absence of a framework for documentation made it impossible for the operator to ensure appropriate follow-up of maintenance operations."

"The investigation showed that, in general, there were numerous failings in the operation established by Star Jet. The safety inspections performed at several levels did not enable these failings to be corrected."

"The BEA decided to stop the investigation at this stage, passing on to the international community the task of dealing with this type of operator, whose total scorn for regulations and procedures is only matched by its complete ignorance regarding the basic principles of safety."

"Boarding started at 11h50 without the passengers being allocated seat numbers. Loading was completed by 12h20. Departure was delayed because the forward hold door was jammed open. At 13h00, the cabin doors were still not closed. A mechanic from Star Jet hit the electric closing system of the hold door with a hammer and a chuck, apparently in an attempt to separate it from the structure so as to be able to close the hold door manually. Some passengers, tired of waiting without being given any information from the crew and worried about the apparent state of the cabin and the noise, got up and asked to disembark, and this led to a mass movement. Around 13h30, roughly half of the passengers left the plane. After some time, some of these passengers accepted to return to their seats, while others refused to get back onto the airplane."

"When asked, neither the captain nor the operator was able to produce proof that the captain had been trained in cockpit resource management. It was also impossible to determine the process that had allowed this pilot to operate as a captain, or to determine which checks he had been subjected to by Star Air and Star Jet before taking on this role."

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2005/a6-m050704a/pdf/a6-m050704a.pdf

Hotel Tango
19th Sep 2013, 12:03
As a matter of interest, can anyone confirm that this a/c is still parked at CDG?

DaveReidUK
19th Sep 2013, 12:15
I haven't seen any recent news or photos of it (the one below is from last summer), but on the other hand I haven't seen any reports of it having been broken up, either.

One thing's for sure, it won't be flying out - technically, it's impounded (and unairworthy) and I can't see anyone coming up with the dosh, manpower and paperwork to get it back in the air.

http://www.irishairpics.com/images/iap_fullsize_images/1045009.jpg

48.9966, 2.5314 on Google/Bing maps.

Hotel Tango
19th Sep 2013, 12:23
OK, thanks. I asked because when I last landed at CDG in February 2012 I had a good view of that (cargo) area. Reading this thread I found it odd that I hadn't spotted an L-1011 sitting there. Then again my eyes are getting old and decrepid.

Big Eric
19th Sep 2013, 17:27
This is an interesting thread, many thanks for the info. :D

N707ZS
19th Sep 2013, 17:43
A snippet from the report.

GAMCO also specified that no fuel leaks had been found, while recalling that the tanks contained little fuel, which made it more difficult to detect a leak during the check.

spannersatcx
19th Sep 2013, 17:56
it was still there in January when I was working there.

OUAQUKGF Ops
19th Sep 2013, 18:16
Can anyone give previous service history - registrations of this Tristar?

Thanks.

N707ZS
19th Sep 2013, 18:30
1.4.1 Airplane history
The Lockheed Tristar airplane S/N 1222 had been purchased by BWIA West
Indies Airways (Trinidad) and entered into service on 17 October 1981 bearing
the registration 9Y-THA. It was parked in Port of Spain on 28 January 2003
when the fleet was renewed. On 3 November 2003, while it was still the
property of BWIA, Sierra Leone registered it under the number 9L-LED and
issued a certificate of airworthiness valid until November 2004. Its papers at
that time indicated that the owner was Star Air Ltd (Sierra Leone). The Trinidad
and Tobago authorities only cancelled its registration in October 2004. Thus,
contrary to the requirements of Article 18 of the Chicago Convention, the
airplane was registered in more than one state between November 2003 and
October 2004.
The airplane was only sold to Star Air Ltd on 7 October 2004, when it made
a ferry flight to Amman. It was returned to service on 27 October 2004 for a
flight to Rome.

History continues in the report. See post 2.

DaveReidUK
19th Sep 2013, 18:36
Can anyone give previous service history - registrations of this Tristar?

Delivered to BWIA as 9Y-THA in 1981. Sold 2003 as 9L-LED to Star Air (Sierra Leone), which metamorphosed in 2005 to Star Jet (UAE), aircraft re-registered as A6-BSM.

Worth reading the BEA report, which goes into some detail re the somewhat dodgy history of both the aircraft and its latter operators.

FurbleFawks
21st Sep 2013, 00:04
Thanks for the info on this. Kind of a sad thing to hear, really. I wonder if ADP can be persuaded to give it to the museum at Le Bourget then, or if they'd be interested in picking it up?

one11
21st Sep 2013, 19:31
it was still there in January when I was working there.

....and still there in June

jwcfbd
18th Jul 2016, 00:44
While looking for some info I stumbled across this post. Just to let you guys know she is still setting there and looking pretty sad. This picture was taken a few days ago.

avionic type
27th Jul 2016, 18:45
Was an avionics man with B.E.A /B.A on the type when they were new and shining bright, always brings a tear to the eye when I see one in that bad state hope it goes to a museum ,but I think it will end up a Cola tin or bake bean can engines may be worth a bit if they still have the log books but they be worth only scrap if the history is lost.:(

rowly6339
27th Jul 2016, 22:39
Been on these birds quite a few times but never really a fan, but that was because of the firm who was flying them not really the aircraft's fault to be fair. Always crammed in and most of the time sat next to cargo urgh lol.

Fishaman
27th Apr 2017, 11:48
Just to update the thread, she is still parked on the cargo area as of last week when I flew in.
Just how long will this go on for as we are already @ 11.5 years if my maths is correct! Does the airfield have the capacity to break her up ?

Damn shame.

falcon12
27th Apr 2017, 12:55
Fisherman,

The airfield, or airport first have to declare whether the aircraft parking fees are being paid or not. At an airport in the UAE, there is a similar Tristar, fresh out of heavy check with positioning hours only, has been standing for far longer that this aircraft because the owner still pays the parking fees. The aircraft remains in good condition as well!
If this A6 registered owes money then normally the airport would need a court order to remove it. If and when they ever get one, only then can they consider hiring an aircraft salvage company to dispose of it.
Its value? The material values of the engine metals. say $30K tops depending current metal prices. Cost to scrap? a lot more than that, which the airport usually has to pay.

Fishaman
27th Apr 2017, 15:01
Thanks Falcon, I did wonder about parking fee's being paid.

Just for my info, who owns the UAE parked Star?

DaveReidUK
27th Apr 2017, 17:20
As per previous posts, Star Air or Star Jet (assuming they still exist), take your pick.

It's not likely to have changed hands since, as no new owner will want to be on the hook for 12 years' worth of parking fees.

billyg
28th Apr 2017, 00:19
Now scrapped , according to Airfleets.Net

DaveReidUK
28th Apr 2017, 06:42
Going, going ...

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s1080x1080/e35/18013835_434284823581810_2640843105317683200_n.jpg

pax britanica
28th Apr 2017, 09:05
How sad to see the lovely Tristar end her days like that, quite upset me looking at your photo Dave, many many nice hours drfiting across the pond to and from Bermuda on one of the nicest aircraft ever made from my point of view. A very comfortable quiet ride and for the crew an awesome flight deck with what must have been the best upfront view of any airliner windows......

azzbo
28th Apr 2017, 15:20
As per previous posts, Star Air or Star Jet (assuming they still exist), take your pick.

It's not likely to have changed hands since, as no new owner will want to be on the hook for 12 years' worth of parking fees.

I think Fishaman meant the one in the UAE where parking fees are being paid.

I doubt StarJet/Air were paying any parking fees for this one.

DaveReidUK
28th Apr 2017, 16:05
I think Fishaman meant the one in the UAE where parking fees are being paid.

OK, I'm with you now.

But I'm still not sure which one he has in mind.

AFAIK, there are several TriStars parked at Ras Al Khaimah: N212AR (1212), N162AT (1220), N194AT (1230), N164AT (1238) and N389LS (1250), plus TT-DWE (1093) at Fujairah

Fishaman
28th Apr 2017, 19:17
Going, going ...

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s1080x1080/e35/18013835_434284823581810_2640843105317683200_n.jpg

So this is the CDG Star? It wasn't in this state when I saw it April 3rd, they must have put a shift in to strip it that far !

DaveReidUK
28th Apr 2017, 19:46
So this is the CDG Star? It wasn't in this state when I saw it April 3rd, they must have put a shift in to strip it that far !

The photo appears to be dated 22nd April.

Two weeks is more than enough time to cut up a wide-body.

How a 747 jumbo jet is reduced to scrap metal in under three days after its last trip... to the aircraft graveyard (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2176079/Boeing-going-gone-How-747-jumbo-jet-reduced-scrap-metal-days-trip--aircraft-graveyard.html)

falcon12
4th May 2017, 13:05
Fishaman,

Ultimate owner believed to be a sheik from Saudi Arabia paid via his business office I believe.

Fishaman
7th May 2017, 19:32
Cheers for the detail all :ok: