PDA

View Full Version : Canberra On Ch5 Friday

MightyGem
17th Sep 2013, 21:16
Big Bomber: Monster Moves:
A team of British engineers is given the job of transporting a Canberra jet bomber over 400km from Coventry in the Midlands to Newquay, Cornwall. Too large to be relocated in one piece, it must be dismantled for the road trip, which means disconnecting its fuselage, wings and tail, and building a support cradle for each component. Despite the journey being fraught with problems, the team hopes that one day the plane might even take to the skies again.

8pm.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
28th Sep 2013, 09:20
BIG DEAL. On 71 MU this was bread and butter stuff.

Aaron.

goudie
28th Sep 2013, 09:35
This was on another thread. I actually watched it and Aaron you are right, all in a days work for an MU. Some of the dismantling techniques they used would not have impressed RAF riggers!

Bill4a
29th Sep 2013, 11:18
Agreed Aaaron, it made me shudder to watch them! It might have been sensible for them to find a few ex 71 riggers to advise. After all, ASTF taught me, a lecky, the meaning of "Grolly" which has stood me in good stead over the years!!
Motto: "You 'old it I'll hit it" or "Don't force it use a bigger 'ammer!" :}

alisoncc
23rd Dec 2013, 08:19
Taking the wings off, they removed each of the wing bolts completely as they went along. Any Eng worth their salt knows to loosen all the bolts in a structure before removing any of them as the already loosen bolts will then take the weight, allowing all bolts to be loosened. Not impressed. (ex 60 MU Lightnings at Leconfield)

PS now showing in Oz.

Courtney Mil
23rd Dec 2013, 08:21
Well, I shall be watching. Thanks for the heads up!

alisoncc
23rd Dec 2013, 08:23
Courtney, notice the PS. That's Australia.

Courtney Mil
23rd Dec 2013, 08:41
Ah. So I shan't be watching then. Shame.

Wensleydale
23rd Dec 2013, 08:46
Obviously a pilot doesn't know that Canberra is in Australia!

BBadanov
23rd Dec 2013, 08:58
Thx for that, am watching it now. :ok:

alisoncc
23rd Dec 2013, 09:06
Obviously a pilot doesn't know that Canberra is in Australia! Pilots aren't expected to know where places are, that's why they have navigators. You'll be expecting them to cook their own lunch next. :)

Wrathmonk
23rd Dec 2013, 09:08
Courtney

An early Christmas Present...

Big Bomber: Monster Moves | Monster Moves | Channel 5 (http://www.channel5.com/shows/monster-moves/episodes/big-bomber-monster-moves)

Not sure how much longer it will be available for mind!