PDA

View Full Version : Last chance to see...Vulcan, Shackleton birthplace

ShotOne
17th Sep 2013, 13:26
The Avro heritage centre is a small museum in what was the Avro factory, birthplace of Anson, Lancaster, Lincoln, York, Shackleton, Vulcan, Nimrod (conversion work), BA146, in Woodford, Cheshire...but not for much longer. Within. The next few months the factory is due to be pulled down and the centre relocated. To view, arrange an appointment on 0161 440 0487 and their website is Home (http://www.avroheritage.com)

Depending on how you get on with security they may or may not allow a look inside the old factory (they're not really supposed to) but the guys in the heritage centre are a great bunch. There is probably a couple of centuries of RAF service between them and they would be delighted to chew the fat with people who have spent time operating and maintaining the fine aircraft they are proud to have built.

tonker
17th Sep 2013, 15:10
I used to drive past these en route the sim, and watched the Nimrods ebing constructed. The last time i saw them they were a pile of scrap hidden away on the far side, but visible from the Golf club.

There is still an old Bi or Tri plane on site, hidden away behind frosted glass in what looks like an old fire station.

Will try and identify it the next time i'm up for rejection:uhoh:

Sandy Parts
17th Sep 2013, 15:28
shame -great site. Did the Woodford families day with static MR2 back in 99(?). Our APU failed so we half-jokingly asked if they had any air-starter units lying around. The staff dusted off and drove out a late 40s vintage van with a museum piece air-start until mounted on the back. Incredibly enough, it fired up second-go with a cloud of black smoke and after the chief 'assisted' the pipe on and manually sorted the valve - away we went! (We'd hoped it failed as we were downtown on rates although not sure our livers could take another night at Bredbury(sp?) Hall. Still got the souvenir mug!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Sep 2013, 15:35
Thanks for drawing attention to that. Is that New Assembly that has the first appointment with the iron ball? Has the Club House and old AV's original sheds been reprieved?

It's ironic that after 74 years, the natives have got their own way; Assembly Shed, Woodford, Cheshire.: 8 Feb 1939: House of Commons debates - TheyWorkForYou (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=1939-02-08a.930.6)

Bigpants
17th Sep 2013, 17:22
Not quite the same but the aviation bit of the above contains some interesting aircraft including a Shack and early Lightning.

ShotOne
17th Sep 2013, 19:46
Don't know about the biplane tonker mentioned but there is a complete Vulcan on site (XM603) on far side of airfield by sim, and also a nose section. Security may allow you to drive over depending on how jobsworthy they feel on the day.

For those (probably the majority) who wont have time or inclination to visit, the factory is a very extensive and impressive red brick building. It still wearsits wartime camouflage, although (oddly in view of the thousands of Lancs produced) it wasn't bombed. SK71QRis the postcode if your satnvving, but once again don't just show up, you need to ring to arrange.

Ken Scott
17th Sep 2013, 23:42
I am aware of the local feeling in certain quarters against this choice but I am satisfied, after most careful examination, that having regard to the needs of National Defence no other course was possible.

Those were the days! National Defence taking primacy.....a bit different these days where it trails behind the right to quiet, NIMBYism etc.

J31 MAN
18th Sep 2013, 10:46
Some info here;

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2978/8803/12246/222355/woodfordspdboardssept122?view=Standard

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2978/8803/12246/222355/woodfordspdboardssept121?view=Standard

Chugalug2
18th Sep 2013, 11:23
KS:-

Quote:
I am aware of the local feeling in certain quarters against this choice but I am satisfied, after most careful examination, that having regard to the needs of National Defence no other course was possible.
"Those were the days! National Defence taking primacy.....a bit different these days where it trails behind the right to quiet, NIMBYism etc."

I searched in vain in the thread for your quote, but then realised it was in the TWFY link from 1939! There was I thinking that the strong feelings were about the WMD delivery systems produced by Messrs Avro, only to find that the strong feelings were that they should be built, just elsewhere! Thus my faith is restored, far rather NIMBYs than CNDs, any day!

WH904
19th Sep 2013, 08:56
As I understood things, the old Avro sheds were to be saved, together with XM603, but everything else was to be demolished. I can accept that the factory site ought to be redeveloped but the flight sheds too? No - they should obviously be preserved. I guess they're not of national importance seen as they have nothing to do with sport.

STATSMAN
19th Sep 2013, 09:56
950 house on Woodford Airfield and now Cheshire East Council propose a new village on green belt at Handforth about 2 miles away. The local roads cannot take the extra traffic, the area will become gridlocked. When the road to nowhere is extended from the A6 at Hazel Grove to Manchester Airport that will be overused from it's day of opening.

I just wish for a small GA airfield at Woodford but I know that pie in the sky. Bet they will have no problem getting hold of JCB's to build the new Woodford Garden Village!!!:ugh: