PDA

View Full Version : GPS Software for US Sectionals

Dave Gittins
17th Sep 2013, 13:05
Have an IPad and use Skydemon ... which also works to some extent in the US of A .. but what is the best GPS software to use giving a full US Sectional Display on an IPad ?

I used Skydemon in Florida a couple of months ago and it certainly gave me some great functionalaity, just like in the UK showing en-route weather on the virtual radar .... it just didn't have as much topo info as a full US Sectional Chart.

Are there some which just work as a map and display your position on a sectional ? or are there any with Skydemon type full navigation features ?

7of9
17th Sep 2013, 13:18
Air Nav Pro Show sectionals as you fly.
I have used it.

172driver
17th Sep 2013, 13:18
Foreflight.

Victorian
17th Sep 2013, 14:56
+1 for Foreflight. I wish we had it here. So intuitive compared with that other excellent but frequently perplexing product.

Mark 1
17th Sep 2013, 20:38
I use Foreflight and recommend it.

If you want something for free, try downloading the fltplan.com app. You can download sectional and IFR charts and use them in flight. Not as easy to use, but free and also includes Canadian IFR charts and plates which cost extra on Foreflight.

Desert185
18th Sep 2013, 04:04
Foreflight. Period. End. :D

IFMU
18th Sep 2013, 13:40
I use foreflight. It is a scan of the sectionals with all the AFD info embedded. Frequencies, taxi diagrams, approach plates, the magenta line, it is great.
Bryan

alland2012
18th Sep 2013, 14:47
Another + endorsement for Foreflight.
I have just renewed my subscription, having done a year with the basic subscription, have now updated to the Pro version.

Dave Gittins
18th Sep 2013, 16:14
Thank you gentlemen ... fairly unanimous response then.

I'll look it up on the IPad tonight

AdamFrisch
18th Sep 2013, 16:41
Foreflight is brilliant.

IFMU
18th Sep 2013, 21:43
You can upload it on the iPad free tonight. Then you have 30 days to play before your charts expire. Costs $75USD/year for the basic subscription which also includes IFR charts as well as plates. If I did more instrument flying I would get the pro subscription as it puts your airplane on the IFR approach. Talk about situational awareness! Almost too easy.
Bryan

172driver
19th Sep 2013, 08:27
One more thing - if you only go the US say once a year, then you can also buy a 3-months subscription. No need to shell out for the whole year (although this is still amazing value for money!).

AviatorTB
14th Oct 2013, 20:37
IMHO, WingX is better than Foreflight. However, the last time I saw FF was 18 months ago and it had to have improved. Regardless, I believe WingX is a better app, better focused on the needs of the SPIFR user. Lastly, the few times over the last 30 months that I have required support, it was a simple phone call away. If it is not too late, look at WingX Pro 7.

Dave Gittins
15th Oct 2013, 12:18
I got a subscription to ForeFlight to try and get some idea how it works before being in Colorado Springs and Naples (Fl) over Christmas and New Year.

Also emailed a guy I have flown with in Colorado Springs who is a US instructor and a member of the Civil Air Patrol at COS and he says ForeFlight and has had it for the last 3 years.

So far haven't found if it has the same vertical strip as Skydemon; which would be invaluable in Colorado with 6000 ft terrain and 9000 bases of airspace around Denver.

Thanks for all the endorsements

AviatorTB
16th Oct 2013, 03:00
The terrain strip is just one more reason to try WXP.