PDA

View Full Version : IR Question how do you know the entry into a hold just by looking at the HIS or DI

wire12
16th Sep 2013, 14:20
Hey all,

I was on the sim practicing different entry’s into the hold but the technique I learned were I know the correct entry into the hold by just looking at the DI or HIS etc it did not work out for this particular hold for the heading I was on. I do not know why or maybe I made a mistake. The technique I have been using for years was giving me a result saying it was a direct entry but it was clearly a parallel entry when I paused. This technique was working fine up to this point.

I want to ask IR pilots what technique do they use when approaching a hold to know what entry it is just by looking at the DI or HSI.

I have copied the technique I use and want to ask is it correct.

First for right turn holdings: Divide your DI or HSI up in the following (clockwise):0-70 deg Teardrop, 70-250 deg Direct and 250-360 Parallell. Place your OUTBOUND holding course in either of the sectors and you`ve got your entry. For left turn holdings its the opposite. 0-110 Parallell, 110-290 Direct and 290-360 Teardrop.

Thanks.

justasmallfire
16th Sep 2013, 14:36
get a copy of 'RANT XL' I always use the software before revalidations for a refresher some good lessons on there for hold entry

Cobalt
16th Sep 2013, 17:44
What you describe should work.

On the rare occasions I actually have to fly a hold, I always set the CDI needle to the inbound track for orientation - this works for ALL holds, whether flown on a VOR radial, GPS track, or ADF [although of course with the ADF the actual CDI serves no navigational purpose].

The rear end of the CDI then decides the entry, using the method you describe.

Doing it like this avoids the error of accidentally miscalculating the reciprocal track.

OhNoCB
16th Sep 2013, 18:04
I use the same was as you describe and it has always worked fine. Can you remember the details of the situation?

pudoc
16th Sep 2013, 18:38
Before flight during the IR, I would always use your method to brief myself on expectations then use Cobalt's method to confirm it in flight. Always worked. Are you sure you didn't subtract/add 70 to the wrong thing by mistake? I did that once despite applying the method correctly loads of times before.