PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment - how to get in the game?

Krautwald
16th Sep 2013, 05:02
I tried to ask a similar thing in the training section, but maybe more will participate here.

When considering schools (integrated - modular, big - small, well connected - less connected) I came back to one question all the time. Apart from quality of training, which of course is a must, how does one actually get into the hiring game? Can school really help?

I believe that for some professions, certain points are very important. Let me give you an example for what I mean: my former roommate and good friend studied fashion design. Very strong competition for very few real jobs. She said once to me that the time at design school was vital because they would provide annual class fashion shows and of course graduation shows that the industry people would actually visit. It was the only free way for youngsters to be seen and recognized. Once graduated, organizing a show, renting a studio and showroom is your own business and usually it is very tough to pay for all that and even harder to get relevant people to show up at your sorry little place. So those 3-4 shows they do during college are their best shots, its the time in their lives where recruitment is as close as it comes - simply because visibility is provided.

I hope my point is clear. Does flight training have similar "shots"? Where are those recruitment environments, our points of visibility? Is it job fairs and exhibitions? In-school events? Where do you get yourself seen and heard of, and how important is your training year/school?

Regular job ads and selections are one thing, but can't be all there is - or is it?! Would be the first industry I know where none of the interesting candidates are known before the ad even goes out.