PDA

View Full Version : VALE: Mr Don Collingwood (Fiji)

propelled
15th Sep 2013, 22:57
Sad news to report that Don passed away Saturday morning after a short illness.

He was a massive contributor to the Fiji tourism industry, and also well regarded in the local community for supporting and assisting local groups, especially local Rugby of which he had a passion for.

Don helped start so many careers, not only pilots, but engineers, admin, etc. Don will be missed by many.

Will have a rum tonight for the Don.
RIP.

Fijivillage.com

Collingwood passes away
Publish date/time: 16/09/2013 [09:08]

One of the country's icon in the travel industry Don Collingwood has passed away at the age of 69.

Don Collingwood who was a pilot and businessman, founded what became Pacific Sun in 1980, under the name Sunflower Airlines, which later changed to Sun Air.

Collingwood also established the Pacific Flying School in Nadi.

His son Ian Collingwood confirmed to Legend FM News that he passed away early Saturday morning in Lautoka Hospital where he had been receiving treatment for a recent illness.

Ian Collingwood said his father arrived in Fiji in 1974 from New Zealand and was well known in a range of communities thanks to his ownership and development of air travel within Fiji.

He said Don Collingwood was also well known as a keen supporter of Fiji Rugby.

He said Don Collingwood will be certainly missed by the family.

Meanwhile, the President of the Fiji Hoteliers and Tourism Association Dixon Seeto said he contributed a lot to the country.

There is an audio file attached to this story. Please login to listen.

The late Don Collingwood is survived by his two children and nine grandchildren.

The funeral for the late Don Collingwood will be held in Nadi on Wednesday at 11.00am.

The venue is yet to be confirmed.

FijiVillage.com - Fiji's home on the world wide web (http://www.fijivillage.com/?mod=story&id=150913bda64f1447a7282ab9c29b19)

hoggsnortrupert
15th Sep 2013, 23:13
Sorry Vale, didnt see yours before I posted:

H/snort:

tail wheel
16th Sep 2013, 01:47
So young......

Bye Don. Fair skies. Thanks for the great friendship, It's been fun over at least 35 years.

dhavillandpilot
16th Sep 2013, 02:28
One of the most interesting men you could ever deal with. A hard bargainer but you knew where you stood. I bought an aircraft from him in the mid 90's one of the hardest deals I ever had to negotiate.

Fiji just doesn't appreciate how much of of a debt it owes to Don in having a stable consistent third tier airline. Most of his competitors came and went, Dons Sunflower just kept on operating.

hoggsnortrupert
16th Sep 2013, 05:16
Can be sent via email to:

[email protected]:

Place "Condolences Don" in the subject line:

Roshin, Jacinta, or Lattiff will clear them:

I worked for Don 13 years, we didnt always agree, he never held a grudge, and all was forgiven over a beer or "more" at the old airport club.

On leaving Don, I was quick to realize, he was bloody good to work for:

I owe him a lot, a few years ago I was lucky enough to be able to tell him this, we bought each other drinks on several occasions, at Ed's of course! we were able to laugh and reminisce:

An industry ICON, a lot of people were better for, and have their careers thanks to Don:

Chr's
H/Snort:sad: