PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham (Tollerton) EGBN Notamed closed due winds

fireflybob
15th Sep 2013, 15:45
EGBN notified as closed from 1200 UTC today due winds.

Seeing as the wind was straight down RW 21 it might have been a handy diversion for the odd General Aviation a/c which could not land at EMA due crosswind outside limits.

How times change.

foxmoth
15th Sep 2013, 17:41
Not the weather - airport manager obviously had the wind up and did not have the balls to stay open!:mad:

Tinstaafl
15th Sep 2013, 20:41
What was the wind velocity?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Sep 2013, 21:33
How the **** can an airfield close due winds? Unless there's some specific local problem like debris being blown onto the runway(s) so the airfield can't guarantee an uncontaminated runway surely it's the pilot's decision whether to attempt a landing or not?

fireflybob
15th Sep 2013, 21:38
The average wind speed was 25kts with a Prob 30 forecast for about 2 hours of tempo gusts to circa 38 kt - in fairness the main operator had cancelled all flying for the day yesterday lunchtime.

But I agree crazy to close just for winds (which were acceptable for some operations).

ShyTorque
15th Sep 2013, 22:24
It's a privately owned airfield so they can close as and when they see fit and for whatever reason.

Having said that, it does seem unusual.

Tinstaafl
15th Sep 2013, 23:56
25G38! Is that all? We had a 50kt ground ops limit in Shetland - and that was due to a door opening limit. We could manage more with additional precautions.

squawking 7700
16th Sep 2013, 15:29
I was flying 'round the corner' from Nottingham Tollerton yesterday and it really wasn't that bad but I suppose if it was trial flights and pre or early solo there's not much value to be had by the students.