PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob get flying

ButFli
13th Sep 2013, 04:02
So I've always wanted to fly but never been willing to commit the money. However, personal circumstances have changed and now I'm keen to spend the money.

So, tell me what I do now. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

I'm only doing this for fun. I have no intention of flying for money. Not that I wouldn't love to, it's just that I have a well paying job and I don't fancy taking a low paying flying job to establish myself in a new industry.

So the first step is a PPL, right? I'm fairly keen on doing IFR flying. Can I get an IFR rating on a PPL, or do I need a CPL for that? Is it worth it for a recreational pilot?

And my main question, which flight school? Can anyone recommend a good one? It doesn't have to be the cheapest.

Is it realistic for me to do this mainly on weekends?

Thanks in advance!

Aussie Bob
13th Sep 2013, 04:19
Butfli: Your VERY FIRST STEP is to front up at a couple of flying schools, try Parrafield and Aldinga and meet some flying instructors then have a go. All your questions will be answered along the way. If you are not a self starter you will not get far.

You yourself need to research both RAA and GA schools and yes, you can hold an IFR rating on a PPL but your first step is to get the PPL and some hours up.

Enjoy!

LeadSled
13th Sep 2013, 04:33
ButFli,
Also take a wander around Murray Bridge.
Tootle pip!!

ButFli
13th Sep 2013, 06:50
Thanks guys.

I guess my main question can be summarised as:

Are there any Adelaide training providers that are particularly recommended? Or alternatively, are there any I should avoid?

Volumex
13th Sep 2013, 10:56
I'd look for the grey-haired instructors. In my experience (27 years PPL), the young ones are great at channelling you through to CPL but have a hard time focussing on just a PPL. The older instructors tend to be better at teaching stick & rudder and other practical skills.

Aussie Bob
13th Sep 2013, 10:59
Go to Aldinga and learn in a tailwheel aircraft.