PDA

View Full Version : JAA/EASA/FAA licence

_nova_
12th Sep 2013, 15:44
Hey i have a potentially dumb question, but i've really been confused about this.

Now i know EASA/JAA is the European licence and FAA the american.

The question is: If i take my flight training in the US i get an FAA licence. WHen i return to Europe and convert my FAA to JAA will i then lose my FAA forever? or do i have 2 Licences??

Now are there other licences in the world? If a job opens up in South America/ Afrika/ Asia, would i have to convert to some other licence and would i then lose my european and/or american licence?

This may seem stupid and confusing, but it's been bugging me for so long now! :)

MarkerInbound
12th Sep 2013, 16:25
I can't speak for the JAA/EASA side. But if you earn a FAA certificate, unless you do something really stupid, you'll hold that certificate the rest of your life.

Outside the EASA world, just about every country has a CAA. And they all issue licenses. You could end up with a wallet full.

dbee
12th Sep 2013, 16:43
Training in the US may be either FAA or JAA depending on the flight school. I'm an old geezer now, but I think that you can have more than one licence, providing if you can afford to keep them current!

zondaracer
12th Sep 2013, 20:59
You definitely keep your old license. Conversion isn't really the best word to describe it.