PDA

View Full Version : HOUR BULDING - please

steve1977
12th Sep 2013, 13:53
Hi to everyone.

Probably there are already answers in the forum but with all these post i can't find the right answer.

I have got a PPL (UK) and i would like to do some hour building between november and february.

I would like to do something intensive as i have to take time off work and UK is not the right place.

First question. Any good suggestion where , specificaly?
Second question : If is America, is it time consuming the conversion from Jaa to Faa? I don't like for principle too much burocracy.
Third question : Any place outside Europe that doesn't require conversion from my licence?... something simple like just go... and fly !

Many thanks to everyone that will help me

Barcli
12th Sep 2013, 15:13
use the search function and spend a little time on some homework.....;)

BackPacker
12th Sep 2013, 15:48
You can easily get an FAA PPL "based on" your JAA/EASA PPL. It's informally called a "piggyback" PPL. Details are in 14 CFR part 61, Section 61.75:

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=87e4accb61d24e9d00cd660fe0dd3c9c&n=14y2.0.1.1.2&r=PART&ty=HTML#14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10)

Note that some countries CAAs (including the UK and Australia) may not release your data to the FAA without your authorization. And the FAA will contact the CAA that issued your licence for verification. So for these countries the steps are slightly more complex, as you need to authorize your CAA to release your details to the FAA.

All details about the process are here:
Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

Furthermore, you need to do a BFR before the piggyback FAA PPL is valid. This is usually combined with a checkout that's a typical FBO requirement anyway.

On the other hand, why limit your hour building to the UK or go to the US? Why not make the grand tour of Europe? Even in a light aircraft you should be able to outrun/avoid most of the nasty weather if you always plan a few days ahead, and don't have any specific destinations in mind. And at most airports you'll find friendly people who don't mind helping you find a hotel and taxi, and who will help you find a spot for your aircraft overnight.

flyingchik
30th Sep 2013, 14:33
Just wanted to add..

The conversion process to the the FAA 'piggyback' licence is very pain free.
They quote 45-90 days, but a friend of mine just got his licence validated and it took exactly 4 weeks from the day he sent his request to the CAA to the letter arriving at his doorstep.

I have gone through the process twice myself (first time for my piggy back, second to allow me to do my instrument rating) and it took about 6 weeks to get the letter through each time. The FAA are pretty good about this.

Then when you arrive in the US, it takes maybe an hour max to get your licence at the FSDO. Then you are pretty much free to go find an a/c to rent. You will have to do a Biennial Flight Review to make the licence valid and then you are good to go. Once I arrived in the US I got all this done within a day and was on my way by late afternoon.

The major benefits of the US as I am sure you have heard is that not only is rental and avgas cheaper, but there are no landing fees(apart from a few exceptions) and the airspace isn't as congested.
However, just make sure you plan to fly enough to outweigh the costs of your flight over to the US, and what the extra will costs will be of accommodation/food/car rental etc.

stevelup
2nd Oct 2013, 06:42
Do the UK CAA bit first. For me, that took longer than the US side of things!

The key thing for the FAA paperwork is to use fax not post and you'll get it through in days, not weeks. I faxed mine on a Friday and had a fax back on Tuesday.

Just be aware that some (all?) of the FSDOs in Florida are not playing ball any more and are insisting you make a paid appointment with a DPE. I think the rest of the country is unaffected by this.

Having said that, with the whole US government shut down at the moment, it's anyones guess how long it would take. Although they say aviation isn't affected, it's difficult to believe that would extend to non-essential services like this.

A and C
2nd Oct 2013, 07:48
The aim of the hour building should not be just to pack hours into the log book but to also increase your knowlage in an appropriate environment, there is no doubt that flying in the USA is easy and fun but it is not the best preparation for an EASA ATPL skills test.

As you have said the weather in the UK is unlikely to meet your time requirements so I would take a look at places in the south of Spain, the weather is at least as reliable as Florada at that time of year and you will have no Homeland security or licence problems. At that time hotels are cheap in Spain as are the flights with the LoCo airlines.

sapperkenno
3rd Oct 2013, 14:19
Get out to America. GA is simply more "accessible" there, and this makes it more fun when you can fly into most airports with no need for any PPR nonsense or landing fees. As far as it being "nothing like an EASA ATPL test" (whatever that is) - I'd say it's simply what you make of it... If you don't use the flying time practising holding headings/altitudes accurately, flying Nav legs accurately etc then that's entirely up to you.

A and C
4th Oct 2013, 22:39
GA flying in the USA has its place, I should know I did the FAA CPL/IR & FE and ended up flying for a Part 121 airline.

How ever Steve1997 is clearly looking to get an EASA (f)ATPL so he can plan and fly a program aimed at polishing skils that have a direct relivence to preparing him for the EASA ATPL skill test or he can as you helpfully suggest spend his time and money burning holes in the sky and following roads from city to city in the grid patten USA.

SuperBus
6th Oct 2013, 18:22
Steve - I have just posted a query about where to advertise my low hour well equipped Turbo Arrow share - perfect for hour building as the group charge only fuel cost per hour. They even share the cost of your landing fees!!!

Just sent you a PM.

cheers

sserg
11th Oct 2013, 11:55
HUNGARY: LHKA-LHOY-LHEC
- the cheapest place to fly as much as you can.

VMC is almost every day.
Renting price is from EUR 80 wet.
Most of places have no landing fees.
Rooms are from EUR 7.
Transfer to the base airfield is included.
Very kind and helpful FIS.
Delicious meals for EUR 5 a day.

If you get bored of this simple way -
just fly to
Slovenia - for IMC or mountains,
Austria - for RT. And mountains.

Ebbie 2003
13th Oct 2013, 17:14
Unless you are looking to fly say a hundred plus hours in a very short period going to the US will not be cheaper when the cost of the flights to the US, accommodation etc etc is taken into account.

Getting a friend with an interest in riding along in the right hand seat and cost sharing would reduce the cost - so plan a very, very long cross country/tour around the states - but the US can be difficult in winter due to weather as well.

The current issues they are having with the shut down is impacting issue of airman certificates so the piggyback may take a while.

Overall flying in the UK may be cheaper but the weather will get you too.

If you can get the licence sorted I would suggest renting in Florida and flying in the Bahamas - the allow LSA now so a way to keep the cost down a little.

You biggest problem is going to be licences, you have left it a little late and US politics seem to have bitten you too.

I will suggest this option - Barbados - in the winter the weather is pretty much perfect - there is a Tomahawk available to rent, getting a Barbados licence is a simple process - can even hook you up with some low cost if basic accommodation if you like. It is normal practice to fly single engine over open ocean here so an adventure - this maybe the only place in the world where 20hr ppl students do their qualifying solo cross country flights 100 miles over open ocean - kind of puts the Lydd to LeTouquet into perspective - and there's no SAR helicopters here, no helicopters for that matter;)