PDA

View Full Version : BOMBER BOYS

Fg Off Bloggs
12th Sep 2013, 11:06
Just received an e-mail from a Bucc Boy now resident in Australia offering this as a worthy tribute to those who flew, fought and died in Bomber Command in WW2:

Full Moon Tonight music video (short version) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/ot_-t-zz_hk)

His message from Oz follows:

The song is written by my chum Peter Knight who lives in Coonabarabran. His Dad was a Nav on 460 Sqn based at Wickenby and Peter has released his diaries in book form as the “Warrumbungle Warrior” after the name of the hills around Coona. Peter also wrote the song, “Full moon tonight” which is sung here by a Riverina country singer called Grant Luhrs. Very evocative I think.

I think as bomber crews ourselves it is worth a watch and it would be nice if the song could be publicised in the UK and further afield. I love it; it is very moving. It has been around for some years but never been “a hit”. Maybe You-tube could change that? It is always a mystery why it took so long for the bomber guys to get the recognition they deserved.

Also reading a fascinating book called about Max Sanders DFC, “Out of the Darkness” A Tasmanian Nav who only recently could bear to relive his experiences of 31 ops on 419 RCAF Sqn.

If you can help promote the video and the song, then please feel free to do so.

As ever
Your obedient servant
Bloggs (Fg Off for the use of!):ok:

Madbob
12th Sep 2013, 11:23
F/O Bloggs

Thank you. A fitting tribute and a poignant memorial to those that served in Bomber Command. My dad was a Stirling pilot, amongst various other things he flew. I have his log books as he died last year and wish that he could have seen the BC Memorial in Hyde Park. He would have cried watching that video.

By the time he was de-mobbed in June 1946, after 6 years in the RAFVR he had flown 1,624 hours in total and had 265.15 on ops in the Stirling.
The sad thing was that he seldom spoke of it, not until he was in his eighties. Understandable really I suppose.

Many thanks again.

Madbob
F/L RAF (ret'd)

sled dog
12th Sep 2013, 18:57
Lots of dust in the kennel at the moment......

Ali Barber
12th Sep 2013, 19:30
460 Sqn RAAF was based at Binbrook for part of their wartime existence. In the early 80s, the survivors hired a 747 to come over for a reunion and hold a memorial service at Binbrook church. They shipped a container of Aussie beer over in advance, but it got caught up in a customs strike and didn't make it to Binbrook in time. Their solution was to tell us to drink it when it turned up!

November4
12th Sep 2013, 20:05
It is in a similar theme to Mike Harding's Bomber's Moon. That one always gets me.....

Mike Harding Bomber's Moon - YouTube

Especially when Harding says it is dedicated to...

The memory of my father, FS Luis Arthur "Curly" Harding, a navigator in Lancaster bombers who deid with his crew when his plane was shot down returning from a raid over Germany. I is also dedicated to the memory of my good friend Jurgen Boch of Cologne, who was a small child in a bomb shelter in Germany on the night my father died, and to my mother who was a bride, a widow and a mother with the space of a year.

FS Harding (http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2766739/HARDING,%20LOUIS%20ARTHUR) was shot down a few weeks before the birth of his son.

baffman
12th Sep 2013, 22:34
Fg Off Bloggs, thank you very much for this. I've had a request for a link to be posted on another site, which will be done.

Thanks also to November4 for the info about Mike Harding and his father.

PS Duly posted at www.baff.org.uk (http://www.baff.org.uk)

Fg Off Bloggs
13th Sep 2013, 16:32
Surely more people need to see this! 1306 viewings is pretty poor for this excellent tribute!

Bloggs
(Fg Off for the use of but now awaiting CO's interview for unadulterated PPRuNe cheek!):cool:

Robert Cooper
13th Sep 2013, 16:53
It's getting around. I have posted the link one other site already.

Bob C :ok:

smujsmith
13th Sep 2013, 19:24
Duly linked on the C130 Ground Engineers Facebook site. They likes it "oi believes"! It's a cracker.

Smudge :ok:

rjtjrt
14th Dec 2017, 10:13
Such an evocative song.
Post 1 here needs a bump.

https://youtu.be/iRUQwOWuOfI

Wander00
14th Dec 2017, 16:00
Not the Pete Knight, flight commander at Cranwell in earlyish 80s, by any chance