PDA

View Full Version : Flying across the Tasman

theaviator332
12th Sep 2013, 01:27
Hi all, was just wondering if anyone has attempted a flight from Australia to New zealand across the tasman. I am contemplating on attempting this trip and before departure I am hoping to gather as much advice and information as possible. Obviously the journey will most likely originate from Port Macquarie and then Lord Howe Island, followed by Norfolk island and then keri keri in New zealand or perhaps Auckland Int. (the aircraft doesn't have sufficient range to go direct to New Zealand and island hopping only involves legs with a maximum distance of 480nm-easily achievable by most aircraft at 140-150kts).

One of the major queries I have is regarding VHF radio. Obviously long flights over water are going to be outside VHF coverage and it would still be necessary to pass on position reports. Would it be recommended to bring along a satphone? Or simply try to contact airlines in the vicinity to pass on these reports. Probably don't want to be in a position where SAR is alerted.

This is a private aircraft registered under the Australian registry-so If i'm not mistaken, there are no restrictions in regard to flying it to New Zealand and around as well?

Any operational information regarding this flight would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone else has done it. Feel free to PM.

Kind regards and thx!

tail wheel
12th Sep 2013, 06:51
Hi all, was just wondering if anyone has attempted a flight from Australia to New zealand across the tasman.

It has happened on the odd occasion since that first successful crossing by Smithy in the Southern Cross on 3 September 1928.

Smithy's error was to take the Southern Cross to Brisbane where airport services are so bad, the aircraft is still there!

:}

falconx
12th Sep 2013, 07:35
Picture an AS350 heli transitting, good fun

Flyer20888
12th Sep 2013, 08:29
PM me and I can send you some detailed information on doing the cross Tasman trip

LeadSled
12th Sep 2013, 08:38
theaviator332,
It's really quite straight forward. Only occasionally have I had the luxury of an HF, if it was a light aircraft ( I must admit, statistically, for most of my crossings of the pond I have had dual HF and dual sat/com data link) I have just relied on VHF relays via ever helpful RPT aircraft.

Have at least two GPS, for a handheld, both a power plug and plenty of spare batteries. Nice to have an ADF.

Wear your lifejackets over water, not just have them just "available" --- just in case, remember Murphy's Law. I always carry two rescue beacons, one in my pocket, and one marine type beacon that will float. Make certain your liferaft certification is current, if it is new in the wrapping, have it repacked --- a comment not made lightly.

Do your homework on Lord Howe Island --- see if you can get a copy of the written brief Qantaslink use --- and at least for the first time, only go there when the met is very very favorable with L/V winds. The wind blowing in three different directions along the length of the (short) runway is normal. If you already know how to read the turbulence from the water surface, so much the better. This is not the place for lazy airspeed control on approach, and long floats --- use full control authority at proper approach speeds, not high IAS, to handle any turbulence, and and get the aeroplane on the ground.

Clear customs/immigration at Lord Howe, folks are very pleasant to deal with.

Norfolk, stop the night, great people, watch the weather like a hawk (not like PelAir), just like Lord Howe, be very conservative, it can change very quickly.

NZ- Check the current customs/immigration entry points on the far north of the county, and make arrangements in advance for the customs man to be there. Stay away from Auckland International as an entry point (even if you have the range) --- mucho $$$$.

Do your homework on all the paperwork you will need, make certain you tick the right boxes, your don't really want to pay NZ GST on the aircraft.

There are many small airfields in NZ that have card operated fuel pumps, but are otherwise not attended. Last time I was there and needed to use one, they were oil company cards, but there was to a program to upgrade so they would take any credit card.

All the NZ rules are on the NZ CAA web site, have a good look at the basic rules, and buy the NZ topo maps and study then carefully, make certain you understand the NZ controlled airspace --- quite straightforward and friendly.

NZ gets windy, and places like Wellington and anywhere in the mountains of the south island, be very careful, get comprehensive briefings from local aero clubs and the like before you venture into the hilsl. The standing waves and orographic turbulence can be aeroplane busting.

The scenery is spectacular,the native are friendly, as is the local beer, have a great time.

Tootle pip!!

theaviator332
12th Sep 2013, 09:16
Thanks Leadsled for the info, that stuff is excellent in terms of the operational side! Indeed I would expect permission is required from CAA of NZ prior to going there and flying around with an Aussie licence and A/C, I'm sure CASA won't have much issue as its just a private aircraft leaving and coming back. Hmm definately don't want to pay GST on the plane (is that even possible?). In terms of the fuel, I hold a BP carnet card and its my impression that this is widely available in NZ in terms of fuel bowsers. I have heard that the carnet cards don't work with the pumps though? Are you aware if Australian ASIC cards would suffice to go airside over there? Especially at the Intl.Airports. Also when contacting the RPT ops overhead for positional reports do you just use inter-pilot air 123.45 or simply 121.5 to get their attention?

Thanks again for the info guys!

haughtney1
12th Sep 2013, 09:46
Be much more simple to put some long range tanks in and fly at 50' all the way across...no customs fees, no need to declare anything...and certainly going into NZ...no chance of interception:E

27/09
12th Sep 2013, 10:32
I would expect permission is required from CAA of NZ prior to going there and flying around with an Aussie licence and A/C No need to contact CAA.

Hmm definately don't want to pay GST on the plane (is that even possible?)No need to pay GST, not aware of there ever being an issue in the past. Arrange Customs at KeriKeri, they come out to the airport from the port at Opua (near Paihia). They're very helpful but you will need to prearrange for them to meet you plus there will be a small to moderate fee. Still better than going to Auckland.

In terms of the fuel, I hold a BP carnet card and its my impression that this is widely available in NZ in terms of fuel bowsers. I have heard that the carnet cards don't work with the pumps though Your best option is to get a BP swipe card before you leave Oz. Most places that have fuel have BP you just rock up anytime of the day swipe your card and go.

Are you aware if Australian ASIC cards would suffice to go airside over there? We're not as anal over here as you guys are in OZ about this. Might be useful as they look similar to our ID cards, but probably not necessary, have your licence and or a photo ID like a passport will probably suffice.

27/09
12th Sep 2013, 10:38
Be much more simple to put some long range tanks in and fly at 50' all the way across...no customs fees, no need to declare anything...and certainly going into NZ...no chance of interceptionI do believe an enterprising young Aussie did this some years ago hiring an aircraft for a weekend trip away. He landed at a country strip to avoid making a declaration but got stymied when he couldn't get fuel for the return trip.

Much excitement when an eagle eyed local noticed the Aussie rego and the police turned up. Not sure what happened to pilot or aircraft.

VH-XXX
12th Sep 2013, 11:15
When you arrive there you will have to stay in your aircraft whilst the quarantine mob spray their fly spray into your window vent to kill off the nasties. If it's a hot day (if that's possible in NZ) you'll be cursing them!

theaviator332
12th Sep 2013, 11:25
Surely they don't spray the stuff into the A/C while your still in there? Any kind of spray that has the intended effect of killing off insects/other stuff surely wouldn't be safe to inhale? :sad: :ooh:

yarpos
12th Sep 2013, 11:58
we (aus) routinely did it on inbound international flights for years .... flight attendants marching down the aisles discharging spray cans. Squirting one bloke in a 182 (or similar) seems small beans really.:ok:

LeadSled
12th Sep 2013, 15:27
theaviator 332,
Good stuff from 27/09.
My reference to customs and charges was well found, there have been some serious stuff-ups.
One chap, who flew an ultralight to NZ was presented with bill of about $5000, took the shine of the celebration of the first direct crossing of the Tasman in such a small aircraft.
I had a big blue when I had an aircraft stuck at Ardmore, and I brought in a spare radios from home, finally got my money back after a long battle ---- all because the wrong box was ticked.
You just get the odd one who doesn't believe you are not going to sell the aircraft or spares in NZ.
Tootle pip!!

cptkris
12th Sep 2013, 20:38
Yes, twice this year.

Route: fly over the islands; theoretically you could get across in one hop but you wouldnt have any fuel for a diversion to an alternate. We carried extra fuel enabling us to continue from NZ to Norfolk and then onwards to La Tontuta, New Caledonia (has ILS)

Customs: if you are not importing/exporting its quite easy. Just a crew declaration, cash declaration if you carry cash and your entry/departure cards. Have it all sorted before departure and everyone will be happier along the route. If you are importing -get a GOOD customs broker. You must enter and leave the country from a customs airport so we used KeriKeri. Kaitaia is closer but KK is close to Opua which is a favoured entry point for pleasure yachts and so there is a guy living up there. Will cost you a couple of hundred nz to get him out on sundays. You need to notify customs at latest 24hrs to international ops. Form om nz customs website.

Customs are easy but the DAF (the pest people) are fairly anal and so you must enter the country at a place where there is not only customs but also DAF. They will require you to spray the aircraft before exiting or opening doors. No big deal and no you wont die. If you did want to make life easier, get a bottle of the "top of descent" spray. Spray airborne and show can on arrival. (The Aussies will take it off you thou but the islands will let you keep it. )

Islands: Norfolk, friendly people but not an overly exciting place. Lots of pine trees. Elevation of apt is fairly high and wx changing rapidly so beware of the cloud. You may not be able to and on into wind rwy as the threshold may be too high. (As was the case when I flew in once) When fire service are on stby they score the landings of incoming Jets and write it on a big board outside their station for when you taxi past. -lol
Lord Howe; tropical paradise. Lots of cool mountains and theres Balls Pyramid which is a strange very tall rock formation poking out of the sea some 10nm south of LHI. Check it out!
LHI gets EXTREMELY bad turbulence (qantas q300 cant get in) with wind from certain angles and over 12kt strengths (which is most of the time). Wind direction can be very different each end of rwy so a second met station is positioned on the western threshold which will broadcast in different voice on AWIB.
Recommend stay a night or two at the pine tree place (appears expensive but all meals included and its great -they even packed a lunch bag for us!) Locals throw great parties.

The Island people are very helpful and will phone each other to ensure your safe arrival. Make sure however you call ahead to all the places.

FUEL; in NZ, BP and Z have bowsers everywhere but credit card always works, however for credit card you must call ahead. In fact, always call ahead just to be sure. NF gets its AVGAS in drums but put it into a underground tank.

Procedures; IFR -must have HF, VFR; pretty sure you don't but not 100%.
Have a liferaft and if single, I would grab an immersion suit. Consider a Personal Locator Beacon, cheap but can be hired also. We use them all the time for offshore yacht racing.
Norfolk is Aussie territory but halfway from LHI you will enter Auckland FIR. Oceanic, go flightlevels -set 1013 and when in NZ hemispherical is north/south, not east west. Rule of thumb: they are Odd in Auckland (north odd).

We flew at 55% all way to conserve fuel but it made for a long haul, despite being in a twin. I found the fuel numbers in the manual to be extremely accurate. If you have retractable gear, also consider PNR for a gear malfunction causing the gear to fall out half way (loss of hydraulic pressure)

Pee bottles could be good just in case. We carried but did not use as our flight times wee only 4.5hrs however with the ferry tank we had 11hrs endurance or there abouts.

International flight plan, very similar to normal but you also give an email address to which a copy will be sent.

Make sure your nav equipment is certified for sole means oceanic - between NF and NZ there is 100nm out of range between KT and NF NDB. Also, grab an iPad. You need ERC H5 to get across the ditch and from there, the NZ charts.

Thats about all I can think of for now.

/mr.ferrypilot

27/09
12th Sep 2013, 21:00
FUEL; in NZ, BP and Z have bowsers everywhere but credit card always works, however for credit card you must call ahead. In fact, always call ahead just to be sure.

Most smaller airfields in NZ will have a swipe bowser but no one there who can take credit cards for payment, or if there is you have to go traipsing around to find who will, so best to get a swipe card that works in NZ.

Definitely check that LHI and NSF have fuel especially NSF as weather can disrupt delivery.

between NF and NZ there is 100nm out of range between KT and NF NDB.Probably depends on your ADF receiver as both KT and NF NDB's are pretty powerful. I know that some ADF's will pick up KT on the ground at NF well at least that used to be that case. I've been there once and had ADF coverage all the way.

DAF??????? do you mean MPI? or the old MAF?

Here's what you need to know Aircraft | MPI Biosecurity New Zealand (http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/aircraft)

troppo
12th Sep 2013, 21:16
May be 20 years ago some guy flew a Baron from QLD direct to Waharoa/Matamata (?) with some parrots or similar on board. Like most Australian's I under stand he liked a cockortwo.

Australia...full of budgie smugglers

cptkris
12th Sep 2013, 21:56
Dep agriculture and forestry and fishery. (Oz). You are quite right in the NZ counterpart.

UnderneathTheRadar
12th Sep 2013, 23:22
I'm curious to know how often this is attempted? 1052NM great circle and should have decent tail winds 90% of the time.....

ad-astra
12th Sep 2013, 23:32
Smithys error was to take the Southern Cross to Brisbane where airport services are so bad, the aircraft is still there!

tail wheel

Forever more my four wheel drift around the International Terminal roundabout and into the staff carpark will be ever so slightly slower and with a smile instead of a grimace as I think of 'Smithys error'!

Alas the subtlety and irony of that very funny comment has been lost on the wider audience.

I now fly with First Officers that do not even know the Southern Cross is even there let alone the significance of this truly historic aircraft. Their loss!

Sharing the bookcase with the ever increasing number of Volumes A to Z of how not to enjoy airline flying are first editions of 'The Old Bus' and 'Story of the Sourthern Cross - Trans Pacific Flight 1928' as well as all the P G Taylor yarns.

I know which ones I would rather read.

Sorry for the thread drift.

VH-XXX
13th Sep 2013, 00:10
One chap, who flew an ultralight to NZ was presented with bill of about $5000, took the shine of the celebration of the first direct crossing of the Tasman in such a small aircraft.

Surely you would be referring to Ben Buckley who flew over direct from Mallacoota (from memory) in his 2-stroke Rotax 582 Lightwing? Nobody in NZ believed him until he arrived...

Surely they don't spray the stuff into the A/C while your still in there? Any kind of spray that has the intended effect of killing off insects/other stuff surely wouldn't be safe to inhale?

I'm not sure how old you are and if you'd remember, (as noted in previous post too) however not that many years ago on international flights when you arrived the hosties walked down the isles with their cans of fly/bug spray polluting the interior. I believe nowadays they simply inject the spray into the air conditioning system on descent which is one of the reasons why people often start coughing on descent. Would be I interested to know if this is still in use though?

I'm not aware of anyone having died from fly spray.

A mate flew his ultralight to NZ and had to wait in stifling heat, busting for a piss for quarantine to spray into his vent.

theaviator332
13th Sep 2013, 00:20
Thanks for the insightful knowledge, much appreciated!

cptkris you mentioned the flight notification submission isn't too different-do you just use NAIPS international flight plan (internet) until you reach NZ and then use their internet flight plan process for flying around the country?

As for Radio calls going into New Zealand, I assume you give them the full VH-XXX but when flying around the country do you just use XXX for CTAF's/other aerodromes?

How are the winds generally speaking when crossing around late NOV/early DEC? Hopefully not 50kt headwinds I hope :ooh: A/C has endurance of 5.5-6 hours and cruises at 150kts tas (so around 800nm range)

Are there many forms in total you have to gather up and submit? I know theres the customs declarations, passenger/cargo manifest etc. Also which 'box' is the one if ticked incorrectly, they may charge GST

Also upon arrival do they take a look at the certificates of registration/airworthiness/personal flight crew licences etc?

cptkris you also mentioned ensure nav equipment certified for sole means oceanic? what exactly does the entail- the A/C has a functional ADF, VOR, ILS. And how long exactly are you out of VHF coverage for during the overwater segments?

ad-astra
13th Sep 2013, 02:49
I'm not sure how old you are and if you'd remember, (as noted in previous post too) however not that many years ago on international flights when you arrived the hosties walked down the isles with their cans of fly/bug spray polluting the interior. I believe nowadays they simply inject the spray into the air conditioning system on descent which is one of the reasons why people often start coughing on descent. Would be I interested to know if this is still in use though?

VH-XXX I have never heard of such a system.

Current policy is for aircraft to be sprayed during regular maintenance using a long term surface spray by approved personel which is then valid for a period of up to 8 weeks . A Residual Disinsection Certificate is then carried on board the aircraft and is provided to the appropriate Quarantine authorities electronically. The details of the Disinsection are confirmed by the PIC via the Gen Dec on arrival.

If the Certificate is not current then Quarantine will board the aircraft and conduct the manual spray that you have mentioned.

Either way it is a very good reason not to use the "5 second rule" on board an aircraft when considering eating a dropped jelly bean!

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/111992/daff-mpi-schedule-of-aircraft-disinsection-procedures.pdf

cptkris
13th Sep 2013, 02:58
Still file via NAIPS while in aussie territory so that includes Norfolk however thereafter you will have to go Christchurch Control. The nice people staffing the UNICOM can help you fax a flight plan if you cant get internet. The NZ system is called IFIS, www.ifis.airways.co.nz.

Radiocalls are fairly similar to australian ones, you will have to use the full Victor Hotel XXX when entering NZ FIR but may be abbreviated to VHX or VXX by each controller.
On the topic of radio requirements -flying in NZ you will encounter areas marked as CFZ and MBZ, that means Common Frequency Zone (much like a CTAF for an area) and Mandatory Broadcast Zones, in the latter you must report entering, leaving and a pos rep every 10 minutes.

VHF Coverage is not great, there is a repeater station for MLCEN on Lord Howe but not on Norfolk. You'll be back in VHF not until visual with NZ I'd say(never tried the distance, went to HF early)

Weather should be stabilizing towards summer, but generally a tailwind going to NZ.

Easiest thing if you want to make sure you dont forget is to visit the customs NZ and customs AUS websites. esp the NZ is very helpful in describing which documents are required. Not many forms, just crew declaration and entry/departure cards.

I have not been ramp-checked by CASA or NZ CAA at all so probably not. Check with the NZ CAA if you need a special flight permit but I really dont think you will. Anyway, the NZ CAA are extremely helpful, much more so than CASA IMHO. Do bring your passport though.

NAV: are you VFR or IFR? -we flew NZ reg planes IFR only. Our RNAV system was certified for oceanic. Providing you fly during the day, you should actually have NDB coverage all the way. Just ensure you crosscheck the requirements with your equipment list.

What sort of plane are you in?

Here's the customs website that lays down the law: in addition you probably need to arrange the ag-people to check for food/pests etc. No cargo manifest unless you are carrying cargo other than personal affects. No cash report unless carrying more than 10k$. Just need entry cards and your clearance from precious port. -this is a list of the crew with the details that will get stamped by the customs when you leave. do NOT lose it.

We never came into NZ so unsure about their procedures.

New Zealand Customs Service : Advance notice of arrival for private aircraft (http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate/arrivalbyprivatecraft/privateaircraft/Pages/default.aspx)

QSK?
13th Sep 2013, 07:02
Unlike Oz which operates on a N-S split, NZ operates an E-W split for its Table of Cruising Levels i.e.Odd thousands of feet between 270-089 degrees (IFR) and even thousands of feet between 090 and 269 degrees.

VFR same split but an extra 500ft on each nominated level

27/09
13th Sep 2013, 09:43
May be 20 years ago some guy flew a Baron from QLD direct to Waharoa/Matamata (?) with some parrots or similar on board. Like most Australian's I under stand he liked a cockortwo.

Australia...full of budgie smugglers

Yep that's the one. Don't remember what happened to him though. Bet the Barons owner was a bit miffed to find his pride and joy in NZ.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Sep 2013, 10:56
I think Bevan666 on this forum did over and back in a Bonanza (A36) a couple of years ago.

Dr :8

Capt Fathom
13th Sep 2013, 12:13
NZ operates an E-W split for its Table of Cruising Levels i.e.Odd thousands of feet between 270-089 degrees (IFR) and even thousands of feet between 090 and 269 degrees.

That looks like a N-S split to me!

theaviator332
13th Sep 2013, 23:21
Is there anything else important to know when flying around in New Zealand when compared to Australia? One of the differences pointed out was CFZ and MBZ zones, and controlled airspace might be slightly different. Also, do the major aerodromes like wellington/queenstown charge a lot for parking/visitors?

For those with experience flying around New Zealand, any recommendations on particular aerodromes to visit?

:ok:

On Track
14th Sep 2013, 02:58
For info on Queenstown parking charges go to queenstownairport.com where you'll find a parking fee calculator.

Parking facilities are not fantastic but you'll find ATC helpful. They get lots of itinerants, usually in bizjets.

If you are thinking of flying to Milford Sound have a chat to the instructors at the Wakatipu Aero Club first. It's a spectacular but very challenging environment and Milford is one place where local knowledge is vital.

27/09
14th Sep 2013, 03:18
Is there anything else important to know when flying around in New Zealand when compared to Australia?

Yep, the weather and the topography.

The weather can change rapidly and be quite different over the space of a short distance.

The topography means poor VHF coverage in many areas and the need to fly through valleys to get places. Flying in situations where there is no natural horizon.

A lot of you Aussies fly straight lines which is fine in OZ but doesn't work over here where due to weather and topography means having to fly around weather and terrain.

Ontrack is correct re Milford. I would recommend a trip to Milford BUT only if you go with or take a local instructor from somewhere like Queenstown or Wanaka.

27/09
14th Sep 2013, 03:36
For those with experience flying around New Zealand, any recommendations on particular aerodromes to visit?

Depends on what your interests are.

The Bay of Islands area is nice, since you're most likely arriving and departing from Kerikeri, stay at Paihia or Kerikeri for a day or two and explore the area take a day cruise around the islands or a bus trip to Cape Reinga.

The Coromandel area is worth a stop. Whitianga is probably the best spot to base yourself, good airfield, good beaches nearby etc.

Taupo is a good place to see geothermal activity. Rotorua is better known and but Taupo is a nicer place to stop. The closest I can think of in OZ to Taupo is Jindabyne except there's not geothermal stuff at Jindabyne.

Omaka, (Blenheim) great place to see the Marlborough Sounds from and there is a fantastic aviation museum there.

If you're into gliding or not Omarama is a neat place to stop with the hotel in the airfield.

Queenstown or Wanaka. Queenstown is more touristy Wanaka is more laid back and I think a better climate. Both worth visiting.

Croydon Aircraft Co. at Mandeville is a must if you're into de Haviland aircraft.

A trip up the West Coast of the South Island is a must stopping at Hokitika or Westport or both.

That should keep you busy. for a day or two.

theaviator332
14th Sep 2013, 05:30
A satphone equipped with bluetooth would probably work well across the tasman as I could connect it to the Bose A20 headset. What do you guys think? I know its been mentioned that I could communicate with passing jets on 123.45 or 121.5 but its probably best to have a constant link of communication especially if things get hairy.

- Inmarsat Isat Phone Pro - PRE PAID OPTIONS - ClientSAT (http://www.clientsat.com.au/inmarsat-isat-phone-pro-pre-paid-options/)

Keen to fly around milford sound and especially queenstown, and matamata (aka hobbiton ;))

27/09
15th Sep 2013, 08:15
Nothing to see at Hobbiton

theaviator332
15th Sep 2013, 11:38
Also, I can't seem to find KeriKeri anywhere on the list for New Zealand 'Customs designated airports'....I have heard that this is the best place to arrive after Norfolk and that many people choose it but all I can see is that you have to gain approval through submission of a form to the Chief Executive to approve...wasn't expecting it to be so hard? Does this mean i'm limited to only going to Auckland Int.?

New Zealand Customs Service : Airports (http://www.customs.govt.nz/about/contactus/airports/Pages/default.aspx)

Bevan666
15th Sep 2013, 21:17
Yes, I did a similar trip in 2005 in an A36 Bonanza. Here are a few things that stick in my memory;

File flight plans using NAIPS up to Norfolk. However, if you fly VFR (I did - didnt have HF or a sat phone for IFR position reporting), then Auckland will need to hold your SARTIME. You need to ring them (the australian briefing office rang me to let me know!)

Send position reports via relay - there are always aircraft flying overhead and will be reachable on 121.5.

Dont expect to see any shipping - I never saw a boat at all. Yes I was always looking.

Carry a raft, grab bag and wear lifejackets (constant wear types like the heli operators use). We had a bunch of kit, rations in the pockets and each occupant had their own ELB. See EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information (http://www.equipped.org) for tips. Assume you will only make it out the door with the kit attached to you. The rest is a bonus.

Ring Lord Howe and Norfolk a few days in advance to confirm they know you are coming AND have fuel. They do run out from time to time, and let me tell you, you don't want to be stuck on Norfolk for a week or two. They are astounded by the number of people who arrive unannounced, on this little island in the middle of nowhere. Fuel status is not usually NOTAMed either.

Dont take the mention of cross winds and turbulence lightly at Lord Howe. We landed in about 10kt of wind, and it gets rough on final.

Know how to calculate a point of no return and a last point of safe diversion. Expect your GPS to report no nearest airfields at TEKEP.

For NZ arrival I entered and departed from Whangarei - the harbour is close so you dont have to pay too much for customs and MAF. Great aero club there.

File flight plans in NZ via IFIS. Get a temporary met service account from metservice for weather. They are different and not integrated at all. (MET is a paid service in NZ).

Your carnet's will not work in the automatic bowsers, even when you are told they will work. :uhoh: People do not usually have a call out fee :ok:

Dont assume every airport has AvGas. I turned up in Dunedin on a sunday, and was lucky to get fuel from a heli charter operator who luckily was at work.

Do fly down south around the mountains. It is amazing.

We did about 50 hours of flying, in Feb March. It was just fantastic and good on you for giving it a go. You'll have a ball.

Bevan..

Bevan666
15th Sep 2013, 21:19
Just ring up customs in NZ and they will arrange the boatie customs to come to you (and the reason I went to Whangarie was the harbour is close so the fee was not bad ($80 or so I recall))

theaviator332
16th Sep 2013, 01:22
Hey thanks Bevan for the advice! So if an Australian BP carnet doesn't work down there, do credit cards (most bp pumps don't even accept credit cards in oz-found that out the hard way). Or you just go to airports with trucks that can come out?

Any difficulties navigating around NZ?

Also for the trip across did you get a life raft that conforms to CASA requirements (TSO'd) or just any one? Does it even matter

Were you ever ramp checked over there for ASICs/etc?

Thanks again!!

27/09
16th Sep 2013, 01:30
Kerikeri is able to be used as a first place of arrival.
Information for aviators using Bay of Islands Airport Kerikeri, Kaitaia Airport and Kaikohe Airport in the Far North District of Northland New Zealand nz (http://www.bayofislandsairport.co.nz/aviatorinfo.htm)

Gary Burton (NZ Customs) and Mike Cartwright (MPI) are the guys you need to contact. They will come up from Opua (Paihia) to Kerikeri airport for light aircraft arrivals. It's not far from Paihia to Kerikeri.

Port of entry to New Zealand at Opua Marina, Opua, Bay of Islands, nz (http://www.opuamarina.co.nz/portofentry.htm#customs)

27/09
16th Sep 2013, 01:42
So if an Australian BP carnet doesn't work down there, do credit cards (most bp pumps don't even accept credit cards in oz-found that out the hard way). Or you just go to airports with trucks that can come out?

I presume you already have an Aussie BP carnet. If so get BP to supply you an New Zealand one. This will be your best bet. Credit cards won't work at the pump.

Most larger regional airfields,e.g. Kerikeri, Whangarei, Ardmore, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Napier, Palmerston North, Nelson, Omaka, Wanaka, Queenstown, Timaru, Invercargill and a few others have operators who will sell you avgas during normal business hours, usually 7 days per week.

There aren't many places with a truck and then they'll want a carnet most likely.

Were you ever ramp checked over there for ASICs/etc? As I mentioned in an earlier post, very unlikely and then only probably at a major airport like Auckland or Wellington or Christchurch. A security card is not required, though at any airport where there is RPT flights you should always have your licence and or some form of identification on you.

Also for the trip across did you get a life raft that conforms to CASA requirements (TSO'd) or just any one? Does it even matte Actually your'e probably better off with a marine liferaft, at lot of aviation ones are crap in comparison even though they may be TSO'd.

flyinkiwi
16th Sep 2013, 04:50
The VFR cruise altitude split in NZ is N/S i.e. "odd buggers come from the south"
GA aircraft cannot fly into Auckland International without prior arrangement (you need to have your own ground handling organized beforehand) so it really is not worth the bother.
My personal preference for a Coromandel stopover would be Pauanui over Whitianga - more picturesque and walking distance to beaches/accomodation/dining/bars.
Most Aero/Flying Clubs will have facilities for checking weather and/or filing flight plans if you have internet access issues.
If you are a plane nut, visit Ardmore, Tauranga, Hood (Masterton), Omaka, Ashburton, Wanaka and Mandeville - they all have excellent aviation establishments, whether it be museums, restoration companies or warbird associations. The RNZAF museum at Wigram in Christchurch is also very good but sadly you cannot fly in any more.
If you intend flying around the South Island, check in with the locals at Queenstown or Wanaka and get an hour or two of instruction. It will enhance your safety as the conditions down there are as unforgiving as they are unique.

theaviator332
16th Sep 2013, 06:07
Cool guys, is the process fairly easy coming back the other way? Just go through Australian version of MPI and customs at Norfolk?

Bevan666
16th Sep 2013, 06:34
Norfolk Island isn't Australia - you'll clear customs in Lord Howe both ways

I had a TSO'ed raft, which was borrowed (I paid to have it repacked which needs to be done every two years). You dont want a dodgey raft out there!

Nav in NZ is bog easy. Keep the water on one side and off you go :ok:

When are you thinking of going?

I dont recall there being any security issues at all, even at Christchurch or Dunedin. They just aren't as anal about it as we are (which is a refreshing change!)

Hell, once I even lost my passport on the plane going to NZ and they still let me in! :O

27/09
16th Sep 2013, 06:52
My personal preference for a Coromandel stopover would be Pauanui over Whitianga - more picturesque and walking distance to beaches/accomodation/dining/bars.

Yep, agreed Pauanui is very nice and an easy walk to the shops etc and well worth a lunch stop. However there is much less choice in accomodation/dining/bars(are there any bars in Pauanui except for the Pauanui Club?). Also there's more to do close to Whitianga, Hot Water beach, Cathedral Cove, kayaking etc. Plus there's fuel at Whitianga.

27/09
16th Sep 2013, 07:02
Cool guys, is the process fairly easy coming back the other way? Just go through Australian version of MPI and customs at Norfolk?

Yep pretty easy both ways if you go Lord Howe and Norfolk.

Leaving New Zealand you only need to deal with customs, no need for MPI,( they don't care if you take nasties with you but do care if you bring them in.)

From memory at both Norfolk Is and Lord Howe Is you do the formalities when you arrive with customs and ag and any other fees, refueling etc. It pretty laid back and the local are very helpful and friendly. When you depart you just saddle up and leave. I think you need cash for the fuel at both places.

From Lord Howe you can depart to any place you want on mainland Oz.

LeadSled
17th Sep 2013, 09:34
Unlike Oz which operates on a N-S split
QSK,

You haven't been doing your amendments, naughty boy, the "NOSE" rule changed in about 1992.

BUT only if you go with or take a local instructor from somewhere like Queenstown or Wanaka.

That is very good advice ---- indeed, before you go anywhere near the hills, get very thorough briefings, and heed them --- I alluded to this in my first post.

Tootle pip!!

bankrunner
17th Sep 2013, 10:38
A satphone equipped with bluetooth would probably work well across the tasman as I could connect it to the Bose A20 headset. What do you guys think? I know its been mentioned that I could communicate with passing jets on 123.45 or 121.5 but its probably best to have a constant link of communication especially if things get hairy.

- Inmarsat Isat Phone Pro - PRE PAID OPTIONS - ClientSAT

Stay away from Isatphone Pro. It's ok when you're stationary, have a clear view of the sky and can keep the antenna PRECISELY vertical, but useless if you can't.

You're better off with Iridium if you want to be able to call from the aircraft enroute.

LeadSled
17th Sep 2013, 12:18
332 and Folks,

Forget the sat phones, waste of time and money ---- a sat-phone aerial that will actually work is (there are two chances of the aerial on the hand held working, none and Buckley's) will cost more than the cost of the whole trip.

Out of air/ground VHF, just rely on relays, airline crews are happy to help.

Tootle pip!!

Inverted Flat Spin
17th Sep 2013, 20:22
Have a look at the CAA's 'in out and around' booklets for areas like Mt Cook and Milford.

Good Aviation Practice (GAP) Booklets (http://www.caa.govt.nz/safety_info/good_aviation_practice.htm)

Bevan666
17th Sep 2013, 21:09
These days Irridium satphones can be had quite cheaply, and these actually work. Quite cost effective if you dont need to actually use it.

If I was doing it again (and I would in a heartbeat) I'd take one. I would still send position reports via relay. Gives the kerosene canary drivers something to do :ok:

RatsoreA
17th Sep 2013, 23:27
Forget the sat phones, waste of time and money ----

I have the InMarSat handset with bluetooth, and I have never had any problems with getting or making calls, both stationary, in my car or flying. I even had a plug plumbed into my new panel to accept it so I can talk using my headset.

I just open the antenna, pop it on the glare shield and away I go.

It does prefer to have a clear view towards the north, but other than that, it seems to work fine?!

theaviator332
19th Sep 2013, 04:41
Another good question is the availability of internet at lord howe/norfolk/and in NZ to submit flight plans and constantly monitor weather?

Bevan666
19th Sep 2013, 06:22
In 2005 I had to use the telephone at Norfolk and call Auckland center. The folks at the airport can also do a lot of stuff too.

Lord Howe didnt have mobile coverage in 2005 and hopefully still don't!

27/09
19th Sep 2013, 07:58
Another good question is the availability of internet at lord howe/norfolk/and in NZ to submit flight plans and constantly monitor weather?

You'll have no issues with internet in NZ. For Lord Howe and Norfolk just go the the Met office at both places. The Met office at Norfolk is up the driveway beside the airfield and at Lord Howe just a short walk across the grass from the tarmac.

The met guys are very very helpful.

You can file the plan at Norfolk with the help of the guys at the airport, the Met guys at Lord Howe will probably let you use their computer to file from Lord Howe.

cptkris
19th Sep 2013, 08:10
Lord Howe; The pinetree place has one computer connected so you can get wx easy enough. Norfolk is better, the terminal cafe has free a internet hotspot and the motel we stayed at provided wifi also.

LeadSled
19th Sep 2013, 16:01
Folks,
Interesting comments on sat-phones, 100% removed from the experience of colleagues of mine.
I still think it is overkill for a trip that is hardly pioneering.

27/09
20th Sep 2013, 01:52
I still think it is overkill for a trip that is hardly pioneering.

Agreed.

Adding more the 10 characters. :\