PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their medical suspended?

buffalowing
8th Sep 2013, 14:19
Hi,

I've been grounded recently due to medical unfitness.
Has anyone out there been in this situation?
Do you have any advice in dealing with insurers, airlines, etc?

How did you keep it together in the early days?

Any advice would be very welcome.

(I did a search and there isn't much about this topic.)

Thanks

MaximumPete
8th Sep 2013, 16:49
PM me with your e-mail address

Pucka
24th Sep 2013, 09:37
Buff and MP..would be interested in heads up too. Looks like I am about to get canned too after being shoved from pillar to post on a meds work up after a thyroid removal. The company got me to do a full MOT and now after finding a small anomaly...seems like I may be history!!

buffalowing
6th Oct 2013, 18:36
Hi Pucka,

The first thing I'll say is sorry to hear the news man. A month into this and it doesn't get easier.

I'd advice you -and anyone else in our situation- to read all the fine print in any insurance or income continuance you might have as there is a time limit for informing them of even a POTENTIAL claim; and it's not a big window.

So look out for that but hopefully you'll never need to go on to make a full claim.

PM me if you want to.

Best of luck to you.

Ka6crpe
7th Oct 2013, 05:04
I surrendered my medical after a serious motorcycle accident, and even after the surgeon certified that I was fit, I was never able to get my medical renewed. Hence recreational flying only now.

buffalowing
7th Oct 2013, 20:05
Ka6crpe:

That pretty much checks with what other pilots I've spoken to lately have told me: They'll suspend your medical in a heartbeat; to reinstate it... could take months if not years; or it might never happen.

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear you're still flying in some form.

blue up
8th Oct 2013, 16:01
Get loads of paperwork. If there isn't very much then the 'Authority' might actually bother to read it. My AME said to photocopy everything and send it in.
Also, when you finally visit the AME you should always walk into the room as if you were 101% fit and healthy, not like a semi-cripple. First impressions!!!