PDA

View Full Version : Conditional Clearances

Galdom
7th Sep 2013, 00:06
Here is the setup at Auckland yesterday evening...

A330 Lands, A320 told to line up from inset taxiway, Dash 8 told to line up from end taxiway to depart after the A320, another Dash 8 at about 7 mile final so plenty of room.

A320 given "A330 clearing right cleared for take off" type clearance as A330 turns into hi speed taxiway but then comes to almost a complete stop with its tail infringing on the runway.

A320 aborts take off from around 100 knots and stops very quickly, the system works but there would have been a few jangled nerves in the cabin I am sure as the engines had spooled all the way to take off power for a few seconds prior to the abort. To give you an idea of how fast they were going, they had to wait for about 10 minutes at the holding point for the brake temps to get down again.

Is it just me or is this sort of thing happening more often?

Talkdownman
7th Sep 2013, 11:23
"A330 clearing right cleared for take off"
But where is 'the condition'?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2013, 12:24
I suppose he means that there's one on the runway clearing. Highly dangerous IMHO..

DX Wombat
7th Sep 2013, 16:44
Tenerife springs to mind. :(

Georgeablelovehowindia
7th Sep 2013, 18:06
Tenerife springs to mind. :(

Ah but which 'Tenerife' springs to your mind? The recent Iberia/Jet2 contretemps, or the 1977 KLM/PanAm disaster?

Charliedontsurf_83
7th Sep 2013, 20:44
it doesn't look like a conditional clearance at all. You've got a departure clearance with an info provided, that's all. In some european countries the tower guy would get busted for that..