PDA

View Full Version : CAA Exam Credits

whenever
6th Sep 2013, 12:34
I am an ex military pilot with a CPL and IR theory which pre EASA meant that on completion of a certified multi crew helicopter rating I was entitled to an ATPL. Now EASA require me to do 12 of the 14 ATPL IR exams ( I'm credited VFR coms and PoF). As frustrating as this is, I am currently studying for said exams, however two of the 12 are RNAV and IFR coms. I am convinced that these are the same exams as taken at CPL IR level as the exams are the same length in time allowed and number of questions to be answered (when doing practise exams on the Bristol Wed Site) as such I have been asking for clarification from the CAA for nearly three months now as to whether or not they are indeed the same exams and if so, why no credits for a CPL IR holder?

I am just being ignored or told to send the enquiry else where within the CAA. All I want is for someone to look into my questions and hopefully confirm my suspicions and amend the CAP804 to allow said credits or confirm that these exams are different from the CPL IR ones.

Has anyone else out there been able to either get the credits or confirm that these exams are different?

WE

paco
6th Sep 2013, 12:57
They are the same ones, but the directive will have come from EARSA

Phil

whenever
6th Sep 2013, 13:19
Thanks Paco,

I assumed as much, but why would EASA direct the CAA to make pilots retake some exams but not others? Is it nothing more than a money making exercise?

Oh well. I'll continue to jump through their hoops!

WE

paco
6th Sep 2013, 13:57
It's European law - the CAA have no choice, to be fair to them. But a casual observer might think the words money grab were appropriate. I believe the CAA took over £4000 for POF(H) resits over the last few months.

Phil