PDA

View Full Version : Is a CH7 a "PPL Helicopter" ?

Reely340
6th Sep 2013, 06:58
Technically a helicopter, definitely not a Gyrocopter :
CH-7 Heli-Sport (http://www.ch-7helicopter.com/aircraft.php?idp=4)

- two seats
- payload "170/220 kg"
- VNE 110kts
- Manufacturer sits in Torino, Italy (hence EASA world)

What is this, legally speaking?
May I fly it with a PPLH only?
Do I need a rating?
Or is that some kind of "Ultralight Heli" ? (does such aircraft type exists in EASA world)?

sidenote: how does one train in and acquire a rating for a single seat heli, like for instance the K-MAX? (FI instructs over the radio only?)

TIA
Peter

Dash8driver1312
6th Sep 2013, 08:17
I'm just disturbed when a company puts out international advertising and cannot be bothered to have their page proof-read. It makes me worry about their overall ethos.

Reely340
6th Sep 2013, 08:54
I see what you mean, but the English language is a very foreign one, for most Italians older that ~30. Back home in Austria proficiency in English was mandatory in primary school as early as 1973 (at least in my 4th grade) and after the age of 10 it is on par with German and mathematics.

Appr. 1988 I accompanied my then boss to a trip to an Italian electronic bill board manufacturer to discuss technicalities. We did not speak Italian, the engineer did not understand German and the translateress had absolutely no knowledge about electronics. A very long and bits per second wise slow conversation ensued ;)

Back on topic:
The part that makes a CH7 interesting is it runs on pump gas. So if it were legally considered to be a PPL(H) heli, one could do the bigger part of the pesky 180(?) h PIC time requirement for a CPL in a very cost effective way.

TRC
6th Sep 2013, 08:59
... cannot be bothered to have their page proof-read
I think it's quite fun as written...

.......to reduce vibration and improving sliding.

Ooh-er matron........ :p

Peter-RB
6th Sep 2013, 12:29
How would it perform on some of the hills around the North of the UK, I weigh according to me(not my legiron) 15.75 stones approx 110kgs I dont know of any tiny people who would like to accompany me in such a wee type of Heli.

Anyone out there actually flown one.....if so give us some low down!!

Peter R-B
Lancashire UK;)

muffin
6th Sep 2013, 14:25
I thought it looked rather nice, and the promo video on the French dealer's web site is good. Doubtless it will not be permitted in the UK though.

Reely340
6th Sep 2013, 15:41
@Peter-RB
Buddy over here owns one. Claims it'll outperform a S-300C (he probably meant w/o PAX) Sunday next week a friend of mine and me will pick up a S-300C and fly in to said buddy for a picknick and some nitpicking.
When questioned regarding rating, that buddy says he "flys it on his FAA license, 5h training and you're ok". There might be a little more (paper)work necessary to get it onto my EASE lic.

P.

RPM AWARE
7th Sep 2013, 08:43
Reely340

Where in the world are you located ??

puntosaurus
7th Sep 2013, 14:12
I'm thinking maybe LOWW ? Just a wild guess.

Reely340
7th Sep 2013, 18:19
bullseye! S300C is based in LOAG, CH7 in LOAP, a nice 70nm trip

tcamiga
8th Sep 2013, 02:07
Couldn't help but bite on this one.

The CH7Bt (basically a single seat version of the CH7Tandem) is going great guns in OZ.

Rotor Research Australian, New Zealand and India Distributor Cicare helicopters (http://brumbyhelicopters.com.au/)

;)

RVDT
8th Sep 2013, 05:50
So if it were legally considered to be a PPL(H) heli, one could do the bigger part of the pesky 180(?) h PIC time requirement for a CPL in a very cost effective way.

Probably not if your NAA insists that the time is spent in a helicopter with a type certificate. Check closely.

and acquire a rating for a single seat heli

In this case you cannot as there is no "type" as in Type Certificate. Its an ultralight.

alarotantejr
8th Sep 2013, 09:33
Hello
I flown and I still flying my CH-7Angel (single seat -two stroke engines)..In the past I flown a lot also with Ch-7 Kompress (tandem two seater-914 rotax engine) as instructor ( was more than 5 years ago so I'm not fully updated).
In Italy in order to fly those ultralight machine's you just need to go to a ultralight flying school in order to get a "national certificate" given by AeCI ( Aero Club d'Italia).
Ultralight aircrafts are considered as sport devices..so flying this machine is considered as a sport!! ;)
This certificate will last two year or one if you become instructor.... For carrying a passenger you need extra examinations and a minimun flying experience.
So you don't need a PPL. If you have PPL ( rotorcraft) you can directly ask to receive this certificate from Aeci. This certificate will allow you to fly all italian registered ultralight helicopters and is mandatory for all pilots also if they hold superior aeronautical license's ..(for insurance reasons i guess...)

For what I remember most of CH-7s flying around Europe were italian registered aircraft and most european pilots hold this italian certificate.

With new AESA implementation I don't know how it will be...
Aero Club d'Italia | Ente di diritto pubblico ? Membro della Federazione Aeronautica internazionale ? Federato CONI ? Membro della Europe Airsport (http://www.aeci.it/) ...........(italian only.... :( )

topendtorque
8th Sep 2013, 12:24
Ultralight aircrafts are considered as sport devices..so flying this machine is considered as a sport!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifI think that a very good interpretation as they are not able to be registered in the commercial work class in this country at least as far as I understand it.

Like most extreme sports bob sledding etc., I wonder how does one's personal Life insurance validation go if one was to "fall", while playing this particular sport? In that query I include for medical expenses under workman's compensation and also for a passenger, who may think everything is honky-dory until the bill is presented for payment, or their spouse / beneficiary is looking for the entitlements?

cheers tet.

P.S. These gadgets are universally disliked by every AOC operator in the Northern Territory. One CP told me he looked at one for a few days, and, was almost tempted to go for a spin, but bailed when he was about to lift his foot over the sill.

500e
29th Apr 2015, 10:10
http://www.mamba-air.cz/obrazky/servisni_technik_ch-7.jpg

The manufacturer of the CH-7 Kompress stipulates a mandatory maintenance check-up after 25 flight hours from commissioning, and every 100 flight hours there after or at least once a year. An overhaul is required after 1,200 flight hours.
Slow day & the Devil makes Work for idle hands:E

Hughes500
30th Apr 2015, 05:59
500e I see you have a new trainee engineer there. Not sure grandpa's missus will go a bundle !

500e
30th Apr 2015, 09:44
No pressure there then :=
Always liked red though

HeliHenri
30th Apr 2015, 09:59
Red ?!
But the helicopter is yellow, not red ! :}

HLCPTR
30th Apr 2015, 13:21
The red airframe will take you to greater heights and a softer landing!

N707ZS
2nd May 2015, 08:41
That looks like its got high maintenance costs, but a pleasure to service!