PDA

View Full Version : Returning to New Zealand

Koa mahi
5th Sep 2013, 15:00
Greetings!

Looking for some local knowledge/advice on job prospects and converting FAA to CAA in N.Z.

Will be returning to NZ next year to convert my FAA ATP to a CAA ATPL. (Expat Kiwi living in the States). From what I have read off the CAA website it seems all I might need to do is complete the Air Law Exam and take a flight test (once my logbook and credentials have been verified) Is this about accurate?

Also, in regards to jobs.
My experience consists of over 5000hrs of jet time for an airline with about 500hrs of PIC. Of course in that is plenty of night/cross country/IMC etc. Everything that flying in and out of JFK for years would consist of.

With that experience but not having any connections or any flight time within NZ, would this be marketable?

Final question, anyone have an accurate link I could look at to order books or software to start studying for the Law exam prior to going back to NZ?

Thank you for any and all help. PM's are fine...

MicroLightNZ
5th Sep 2013, 20:34
Books seem to be available via Pilot Books for PPL, CPL, IR, BTK & ATPL & ground courses - Waypoints Aviation (http://www.waypoints.co.nz) - but also normally pop up a lot on TradeMe as well under Sports -> Aviation category:

Aviation | Sports | Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/aviation)

Hope that might help.

Koa mahi
7th Sep 2013, 00:21
Yes it does, thank you for the link! :ok:

lilflyboy262...2
7th Sep 2013, 12:28
An Easier and Cheaper way of studying for the Law exam is to go onto the CAA website.
Look up AC 61-7 I think it is. You will find the syllabus for all the exams. Find ATPL law.
You can find all the rules and regs on the website as well. You will want to get your hands on the AIPs as well.

Offcut
8th Sep 2013, 07:22
Yep, that's the way to do it. AC61-7 for the syllabus, then Part 121/125, CAA act 1990, and NZAIP for the details. All available and up to date for free online.

slackie
8th Sep 2013, 22:07
Nothing in this life is "free"... you'll end up paying for it in spades when you go for your first NZ Medical!! :{