PDA

View Full Version : 777 Pilots' Guide?

Al Murdoch
5th Sep 2013, 13:11
I'm relatively new to the 777 and am finding the Boeing FCOM to be a bit, shall we say, vague.
Reading up on air systems yesterday I realised that I know almost nothing about air recirculation, pack operation etc - the answer just seems to be "trust computer".
I'd like to know more than that, so can anyone recommend a good book or resource to explain things in more depth?

Haroon
5th Sep 2013, 17:00
If you are new and feel that its not enough then rest assured its more than enough (considering what needs to be done). Love that plane.

However if you just want to read out of interest then that's different. May be you can ask your company for a copy of the maintenance manual.

Boeing manuals are not like airbus.

regards

flyboyike
5th Sep 2013, 17:04
Plane Boeing B777 (http://www.smartcockpit.com/plane/BOEING/B777.html)

Haroon
5th Sep 2013, 17:08
thats just FCOM, he needs more than that

Capn Bloggs
5th Sep 2013, 23:11
May be you can ask your company for a copy of the maintenance manual.
+1. I have the MM (in PDF) for my "Boeing". 5000 pages of pure heaven! :{

Al Murdoch
6th Sep 2013, 14:32
Capn, I don't suppose your Boeing is a 777 is it?

Capn Bloggs
6th Sep 2013, 14:40
Nah, sorry Al.

Godzilla777
12th Sep 2013, 14:54
After one year on the B-777, I know far less about this airplane than I knew about any other type after the same amount of time. Deeper information than that available in the Boeing manual appears to be unavailable. All the mx manuals are digitized and, so far, unavailable to me. The schoolhouse mantra is, "You don't need to know that." When I call my company's tech services personnel with questions, they usually don't know the answer, and either look it up (which is fine), or make-up something that is utterly false.

I've found that the best source of in-depth information is our line mechanics in London, who share our desire for depth, and enjoy discussing airplanes with pilots.

I find all this very frustrating. My visit to PPRuNe today was specifically to find sources of additional 777 information.

Anyone?

Haroon
12th Sep 2013, 16:15
thats what i said ... Maintenance Manual!

donkey123
12th Sep 2013, 19:32
The FCOM is light in certain areas i.e Air Systems, Hydraulics. But is quite comprehensive in others like Autoflight, Flight Management/Navigation and Communication. It seems pretty obvious which areas of the airplane Boeing feel we should have 'in depth' knowledge of.

Pugilistic Animus
13th Sep 2013, 22:38
Only 5000 pages? oh pooh....:}

Al Murdoch
14th Sep 2013, 09:27
Thanks for that helpful comment. It might be 5000 pages, but why don't you have a look at air systems or hydraulics as a previous poster mentioned? Perfect examples of where I would like to know much more. There is almost nothing in there. The Hydraulics system description, covering the Left, Centre and Right systems, is less than 4 pages long. Ditto the systems description for pressurisation and engine and APU bleed air There are 6 pages on the flight deck door and windows alone. Which would I prefer more detail on I wonder?

Capn Bloggs
14th Sep 2013, 09:41
I've found that the best source of in-depth information is our line mechanics in London, who share our desire for depth, and enjoy discussing airplanes with pilots.

Take a USB stick to your troops in London; they should have a copy of the MM on their computers somewhere. Our 5000-page MM is only 50mb (PDF) and runs well on my tablet.

BBK
14th Sep 2013, 09:49
Hi Al

Just a thought but can you get access to the CBT you studied on your initial course? I did that when I was swapping seats and it was easier than looking at the FCOMs.

Godzilla777
14th Sep 2013, 12:00
Capn Bloggs wrote:

"Take a USB stick to your troops in London; they should have a copy of the MM
on their computers somewhere. Our 5000-page MM is only 50mb (PDF) and runs well
on my tablet."

Thank you -- that's a good idea. Hopefully, it's in local PDFs in their computer, and not served up in small pieces over the internet from "the mother ship" in the States. I'll try.

Natstrackalpha
9th Oct 2013, 19:03
Don`t suppose anyone has got the AOM of the A320 family . . ? Or knows where to get one - will they have one on starting the Type Rating course?

Haroon
10th Oct 2013, 03:12
The Operator should have it

Kefuddle
10th Oct 2013, 05:27
More detailed FCOMs could be useful, but as long as they are split into two sections. One section for the that I should know when quizzed by a TRE and another section for all the nice to know stuff that nobody will ask me about during a sim briefing...

...there is a limit to the amount of stuff I can remember!