PDA

View Full Version : Westland Scout that served in NI and the Falklands

Gazzer1uk
4th Sep 2013, 21:24
Folks,

I am hoping to build a flying model of a Westland Scout, probably at 1/4 scale, not an overnight project and it is going to take some time.

At this point I am researching mechanical feasibility, well that is to say my ability to be able to build it! There is every reason it will succeed as a 1/5 scale kit is available!!

However, I lived in NI from 75 to 80 and I'd like to model a version that flew in Northern Ireland as it is quite possible I saw it operationally flying as I was that snotty nosed kid hanging around the pad at HQNI (if you were the pilot or aircrew at the time!). Thus a bit of a reminiscing for me.

In doing the model I'd like to also cover the version that flew in the Falklands armed with the missiles.

This would give me some options such as fitting a Nitesun device and then the version with the missiles, even if a differing paint scheme is required.

However, it may well be that an aircraft from NI never went to the Falklands which would mean I need to build 2 unless someone knows of a version that flew with the missiles, which I certainly never saw and anticipate was not the case!

If anyone can let me know, I'd be grateful as well as a potted history.

The model will feature a shaft driven turbine engine, but sadly I doubt can reproduce those awesome sounds of the Scout, the buzz at full rotor speed and the gale and howling sounds when at hover or slow flight/take off.... but you never know.

If you Google Len Mount Westland Scout, you can see the 1/5th model..

Thanks in anticipation,

Gaz

HeliStudent
4th Sep 2013, 21:46
qIvDqJeRKzI

Or better still -

h873mgInAJs

Give these guys a call: Len Mount Scale Helicopters (http://www.lenmountscalehelicopters.co.uk/)

Gazzer1uk
5th Sep 2013, 07:31
Thanks Helistudent,

I am in touch with Len and the models you see are from his kit in the unfinished model and the second painted are from his original moulds and endeavour etc, so it proves the theory. I hope to get some of Len's considerable experience and advice. Sadly the painted version suffered a tail rotor failure and is no more..... but rumour suggests he has started another one which must be from scratch as the moulds etc have been sold to a kit manufacturing business.... something to behold when it gets here!

However, it is the subject that I am after researching and PPRUNE is one source to maybe find the beastie, not something Len can help with unless I copy his, which I may end up doing, but want to find a suitable alternative that I have an association with.

Cheers,

Gaz

ExGrunt
23rd Sep 2013, 13:11
Hi Gaz,

I think you might struggle to find a single scout that flew in both places. IIRC the scouts that went south in '82 were from 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron and 656 sqn AAC, which was a Far East sqn then UK based formation for Out of Area.

HTH

EG

Gazzer1uk
23rd Sep 2013, 14:18
Thanks EX,

I have had a lot of response to the same thread on a different area of the forum, but struggling to find an aircraft that did both.

That means I am likely to have to build 2!!!

I've asked the Air Corps Museum Archives to help, but it is looking quite unlikely from the info I have so far gleaned.

Thanks for the input!

Gaz

ExGrunt
26th Sep 2013, 18:28
Hi Gaz,

TBH, if there was one that did both my 2p would be on it being a bootie cab.

Back in the '70s things were much more 'make it up as you go along' than in the later decades of Op BANNER. The AAC might not know what the Navy were up to in the late 70s/ early 80s. You might have better luck with the RM Museum. I have a three quarters forgotten memory that the RM cabs were completely independent and not even part of the Fleet Air Arm

HTH

EG

ludgar
26th Sep 2013, 18:33
The RM cabs were Army-owned and seconded from there - and I believe rotated as required.

Dan Gerous
26th Sep 2013, 21:24
Gazzer, don't know if you have any reggies, but I dug out my slides from the Falklands, taken Dec 82-May83, and have the following. XP907, XV121, XV137, XV139 and XW799. All were with ARMY titles on the side. Some were flying and others battle damaged and placed by the float plane hanger.

Geezers of Nazareth
4th Oct 2013, 19:03
Gazzer, I can probably find a list of all those that served in the Falklands 'during the conflict' (not sure about any afterwards). I seem to remember that they were mostly 3 CBAS (RM) and 656 Sqdn (AAC) I think.

Gazzer1uk
4th Oct 2013, 20:56
thanks guys,

If you are happy to pass on details of aircraft in either location, I would be very grateful in any case, and with a bit of luck, we will find the elusive "I was there, in both camps"!

I do appreciate your input,

Many thanks,

Gaz

Geezers of Nazareth
6th Oct 2013, 21:50
Gazzer,

what I can find ...

3 CBAS - XP902, XR627, XT629, XV140, XW615, XW616
656 Sqdn - XR628, XT637, XT649, XV130, XV139, XW282

These were the ones that I could find that were there 'during the conflict'. There were a number of others that were one their way south when hostilities ended, so I have discounted those. I'm surprised how few there were ... somehow I thought that there were more. I know that there were quite a few Gazelles, but just 12 Scouts seems hardly enough.

Does anybody have any of these in their log-books, either pre- or post-Falklands? Any tales to tell?

As far as I can tell (UK Serials web-site, CAA web-site) none of these are still around as a complete flying airframe; some may exist as parts, or stored in a shed or hangar somewhere.

Gazzer1uk
7th Oct 2013, 08:07
Thanks very much for this, will cross reference with details of any from Northern Ireland and see if I can find some pictures etc very grateful for the help, Gaz