PDA

View Full Version : Engine out landing from cockpit.

AdamFrisch
3rd Sep 2013, 07:00
Jabiru in Australia, I believe. Good job.

Cockpit footage captures moment light plane loses power - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUZI69FSDag&feature=youtu.be)

Fuji Abound
3rd Sep 2013, 10:25
All looks a bit odd.

There seems to be no attempt to start the engine, not sure if any pattern was set up for identifying the landing site, and not much evidence of any pre landing checks other than the pads coming forward.

Doubtless it was the real thing, and all that really matters is the outcome was great, but the video seems a little unusual.

172driver
3rd Sep 2013, 12:39
Obviously planned. Look at the hand of the RHS guy just before the engine stops - pulls out the power.

RTN11
3rd Sep 2013, 13:07
The Jabiru is literally the worst aircraft I've ever flown. So cramped, uncomfortable and slow. I really can't think of one good thing to say about it.

Just look at how close the two of them have to sit, and the total lack of space to move their legs or feet.

This could easily be real, the Jabiru engine is just awful, the one I flew with cut out twice, and then had some serious oil pressure problems before it was scrapped.

172driver
3rd Sep 2013, 15:07
I really don't think it's real. Not only the hand movement on the throttle, also the way the two guys react, or rather, don't react. Way too calm w/o any attempt at troubleshooting I can discern. Unless, of course, this is just normal for a Jabiru and they are used to it..... :eek:

phiggsbroadband
3rd Sep 2013, 15:15
Anybody notice the 12 utube videos that are linked at the end of the video..
That's pretty weird also...

Maoraigh1
3rd Sep 2013, 19:47
Anybody notice the 12 utube videos that are linked at the end of the video
Aussie ABC News video - so links to their other videos.
There are many reasons why you might shut down an engine in flight. And if you can see a landing site, and are accustomed to strip approaches, why fly a pattern?
I'm slightly suspicious though. Pity I didn't get sound, which could clarify things.

Fuji Abound
3rd Sep 2013, 20:13
And if you can see a landing site, and are accustomed to strip approaches, why fly a pattern?

Because, unless height is not on your side, it gives you the best opportunity to identify any hazards and set up the best approach. By pattern, I don't mean a full pattern, by the way.

Brian Abraham
4th Sep 2013, 01:18
Reports say the engine started surging and were unable to restore power.

Photos here after wards with the bonnet off.

Plane makes emergency landing in Victoria Point paddock (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-victoria-point-paddock-20130820-2s8em.html)

Edited to add the cause was a cylinder coming off. If you look closely at the photo in the link you can see oil on the nose wheel spat.

172driver
4th Sep 2013, 15:00
OK, after reading a but more about this over in the 'Pacific' section, looks like I have to take my 'not-for-real' comments back. Seems this was real, but also seems that the RHS guy is an instructor and that an engine quitting is par for the course in a Jabiru - hence the surprisingly calm and unhurried demeanor.