PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Flying?

Tomahawkgirl
1st Sep 2013, 21:51
Hi all, this is my first post so please be nice. :)

Ive recently got my PPL and am trying to work out how I'm going to build my 100 hours. Ive done a lot of looking around and figured that the US seems like the way to go as it is so much cheaper than the rates I'm paying here in the UK.
However, my newest idea is: if I'm going to fork out a good bit of money wherever I go, i might as well help people doing it or be of some use rather than just flying for the sake of flying. (not that I wouldn't enjoy that!)

Any ideas? Do you think there's any charities etc. that I could help out perhaps in Africa or somewhere. I know that bush flying jobs generally require a cpl but I'm not looking for free flying. Im happy to pay my fare, just want to do something worthwhile.

Any thoughts/advice more than welcome, thanks!!

gordonquinn
2nd Sep 2013, 07:36
Callum, can you do glider towing with a PPL?

flyelmoair
2nd Sep 2013, 10:25
Callum,

Where did you see the new CPL requirements please? Disappointing if they are increasing the P1 prior to starting the CPL. if that is the case, there goes my financial budget! :ugh:

Morris542
2nd Sep 2013, 11:23
As of September 17th you now need 150 hours p1 and 50 dual to start your CPL!

Er... Have a look at this: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/230713_IN2013_116v1.pdf

No mention of 150hrs P1. 2.1 says " 150hrs flight time" - I read that as total time.

can you do glider towing with a PPL?

Yes

magicmick
2nd Sep 2013, 12:02
Indeed, however if you read on para 2.3 states that from 17th September you require 200hrs before attempting the skills test. Anyone passing a skills test before that date can apply for the CPL without 200hrs total time.

There’s no definite requirement mentioned for 150hrs P1 so if you assume you take 25hrs to complete the CPL(A) course you will have to build your hours total up to 175 before commencing the course rather than the old figure of 150hrs.

Sorry if this is bad news but it's the new legislation.

Morris542
2nd Sep 2013, 12:53
You could of course do your IR before the CPL. Thereby using the hours from the IR course as part of the 200hrs requirement in order to take the CPL skills test.

Edit to add: Obviously this is only useful if you plan on doing both the CPL + IR in the first place!

Tomahawkgirl
2nd Sep 2013, 15:21
I didn't think any gliding places hired pilots with less than 100p1. I must do more research! However I would quite like to try flying in a different country, get a bit more experience.

davidbrent
3rd Sep 2013, 18:07
seem to remember the minimum hours for doing either the IR or MEP rating were 75hours PIC.

200 TT needed for CPL Issue
with 100 PIC (inclusive of PIC/US)

Also beleive it is 150 TT to start the CPL training.

When i did mine i had everything done, CPL, IR, MEP, all with 75 hours PIC time, so went and did some post-exam hours building (which was relaxing)!!

acepilotmurdock
3rd Sep 2013, 19:15
Tomahawkgirl, if I was you I would go to American, were GA is set up very well, and the experience will be worth while, if the micro light pilots don't kill you going into uncontrolled airfields, but that's another story.......

plus you will build you hours very quickly with continuous flying which again is invaluable in my opinion. If you want any other advice drop me a pm I would be happy to help.

LPVL
4th Sep 2013, 10:58
Sorry to ask, what were the previous requirement (JAA) to start the CPL?

Tomahawkgirl
4th Sep 2013, 22:01
acepilotmurdock, Thanks for the advice. I've looked into that and it does seem like a good plan. Not sure where the best place to go is. Seems like Florida and Arizona are popular. I found a place in San Diego which looks pretty good and cheap too. Flying in Cali would be pretty awesome, not too far from the Grand Canyon too. :)

Snr
5th Sep 2013, 14:21
DavidBrent, I'm sure the minimum for starting the MEIR are 50hrs PIC X-Country, and I believe 100TT. Not as much as CPL since you could be doing instrument flying on your PPL.

Source: I started my MEIR several months ago.