PDA

View Full Version : Modular training and different schools?

Tomg89
1st Sep 2013, 10:25
Hi Guys,

Im pretty well versed in the ways in which ATPL/CPL training can be carried out, so that's not a problem.
I currently hold a PPL and will be cracking on with ATPL's shortly, whilst building hours. Time is no constraint, but ill be doing ATPL's over distance as work overseas gets in the way a bit!

Is it more beneficial to take ATPL exams with an ATO which can then take me for modular flight training? Such as OAA/CTC?
Im looking at Bristol GS, as their distance learning support looks excellent, and about the most extensive that I can see for distance learning, which is why I ask, and i'd be looking at modular CPL/ME/IR/MCC after that with the likes of OAA/CTC?

Thanks!

mad_jock
1st Sep 2013, 12:17
Doesn't matter where you take the distance learning if your modular.

I choose Oxford because I was working abroad and there was a bus direct there from LHR. But if your on the easy network into Bristol I would go there for the same reason its easy to get to for the brush ups.

As for the who to do afterwards I don't really know about the CTC options but if your going to go with them you need to be in the group that's guaranteed a job at some point afterwards. Unless you are its pointless paying the extra. Other mod schools have far better reputations than they do for producing quality pilots. Airways in Exeter for example.

If you going on the ryanair they don't really care where you have done your training.

And if you are applying to smaller operators having a big name on your CV doesn't help one little bit and may even give a direct to the bucket.

Tomg89
1st Sep 2013, 12:37
Thanks for the response! I hadn't looked at Exeter, and like you say is it really a necessity to go to the big ATO's.... I have a CPL course within walking distance and would really like to use it, at Thruxton, but it seems quite quiet for CPL students, and I cant seem to find any reviews on them..

mad_jock
1st Sep 2013, 13:15
In general if you can't find any reviews on them and they don't advertise they get by on word of mouth advertising because they are good and get the job done.

The only thing I would say is that some but not all like to see you have done Cpl and IR at the same place.

Now the key to modular training is not to loose your income as your training so if you have a local school who are willing to fit in with your work. If you can come out at the end with no loans and the ability to pay for type ratings as required and also keep your flying current your streets ahead of most.

Tomg89
1st Sep 2013, 13:44
Now that's what im hoping! To be able to do it debt free, but at a slightly slower pace! Thanks MadJock.

Contacttower
1st Sep 2013, 14:19
I know the CPL training is good at Thruxton, they don't do that many students but they have a very good instructor who is probably the most experienced one I have ever met. Some of the aircraft a bit tired but they work fine for the job in hand and price is pretty good.

I don't see any particular benefit in doing the ATPL theory with the same school as CPL/IR especially if you are to do distance anyway. As MJ said just choose out of the good ones the most convenient. Bristol are very good, I also know GTS at Bournemouth despite being a much smaller operation provide a good personal service although they are bit behind on the technology side of things if you are into that sort of thing (didn't bother me...).

In terms of CPL IR I know some companies prefer both at the same school but provided you have a good explanation for doing them separately (say for example you had a gap between them due to cost and had to geographically move in the mean time) and they have both been done to a high standard shouldn't be an issue. Flybe are the only airline I know of to actually have CPL/IR in the same place as a stated requirement.

As far as modular at OAA/CTC is concerned the only reason to go to CTC is the potential to pass selection to the ATP scheme afterwards which if you pass gets you into the ATP hold pool...wait time is about 18 months at the moment I think but it is a proven route into the UK airlines.

As for OAA I don't really see the point over a good modular school like Airways because they don't give their modular students any of the career support that the integrated guys get although the training is of the same high standard.

mad_jock
1st Sep 2013, 15:00
I think we can forget Flybe for modular for the foreseeable future.

The RHS is a revenue stream, so they will be taking cadets for the foreseeable future if they take any at all.

Tomg89
1st Sep 2013, 15:22
Ill be there next week as its where ill be flying from for hours building etc.... I need to find out if they do the IR side of things too! I know the instructor is incredibly experienced, im just yet to meet them all there.
I hopefully won't be in desperate rush to get onto a big jet , in fact i'd love to do some twin turboprop work etc, maybe for a smaller outfit.

Contacttower
1st Sep 2013, 15:30
Unfortunately Thruxton don't do IR at the moment as far as I'm aware.

Bournemouth has a good selection of flight schools that do both...BCFT, PAT and CTC Take Off to name the main ones...

mad_jock
1st Sep 2013, 15:32
Good for you, is some of the most enjoyable commercial flying you can get.

If you are 23 you are in no rush what's so ever. If you think you would like it have a look at instructing as well. People who do CPL then Instruct then do their IR find things a lot easier while doing the IR. Then you can start applying for jobs with more hours than the rest when you get your IR.

But don't instruct if you don't fancy the idea of it, there are enough hour building pillocks out there who don't care about their students as it is. BUt if you do like the idea it gives you huge job satisfaction for minimal pay but it does teach you heaps about flying.

And smaller TP companys like ex instructors because they tend to need pilots with a bit of PIC skills who can think on their feet and don't need their hand held while they go to the toilet.

Tomg89
1st Sep 2013, 16:43
I definitely like the idea of instructing, and will definitely look at that once I have sufficient hours and experience... The plan is to get it all done debt free, and then not have to queue up waiting on that RHS so desperately! Thanks guys most helpful.

paco
1st Sep 2013, 17:08
Now there speaks a true cynic :)

I agree, tho

Tomg89
2nd Sep 2013, 18:13
I know right, its nice to have word from realists , as I can see the dream can be seriously cloudy!
Thanks guys