PDA

View Full Version : Hours building in California...where? help please

TRANQUILLO
31st Jan 2002, 03:07
Hi guys I am going to California in July with the aim of build about 30 hours in 8 days...

I would like to hear from people who had personal experience of flying there about FTOs,prices,aircraft conditions and locations....

I have a (UK)JAA PPL 80hours TT and I would like to know how to get the conversion to FAA PPL to fly in the USA....

Thanks for your time...

PI

Idi Amin
31st Jan 2002, 03:53
Hi pilota,

I'm a CFI in the US. Flew in California with an outfit called Pacific Coast Flyers in San Louis Obispo. If the sole purpose of your trip is to build time, this might be a good place to look, since the prices are a little bit lower on the central coast than in the LA or SFO areas.

To converting your license, I udnerstand that it is fairly easy. I had a brit come in and ask the same question not too long ago. According to the FARs, you basically just need a license, a current medical, to prove that you can speak and write english, and a translation of your licenses if appropriate. Which I imagine you won't need since yours are British. He said he went to the FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) and got it all done in about an hour.

Good luck,. .TFR

Dude~
31st Jan 2002, 06:11
use the seach engine. ITs been covered over and over. theres is loads in there. oh and check out Air Desert Pacific for cheap hrs

PanicButton
31st Jan 2002, 13:45
I flew 165 hrs. in LA a year ago. 100 of those were in twins. When I arrived in LA I had a CPL, a frozen ATPL and 400 hrs. in SEP. I started out at ADP (Air Desert Pacific) and didn't stay for long. The maintainance was poor and the instructors fresh out of school. I took my money after 35 hrs. in the Seneca and went to another school at Van Nuys airport. Flew a Seminole out of there for the rest of my 100 twin hrs. and then 65 hrs. in a Skipper and a C-152. ADP may have changed in a year. Anyway I realy liked flying in California although 80 hrs. is a bit little for flying in cities like LA and San Fransisco. You should check out smaller places like Chico, Ranchero, etc. Also get recent info first hand info. on schools before you go.

Julian
31st Jan 2002, 14:21
Pi,

You dont need to convert your licence to a full FAA PPL, you can get one issued on the back of your UK PPL, which you must carry at all times with you (and photo ID dont forget!), the make the FAA issued licence valid. You used to be able to walk into the the local FSDO and get one issued over the counter, FREE, within about 10mins after filling in a form, although since 11/9 you now have to make an appointment - apparently at Longbeach people were being met at the door and if you hadnot made an appointment they would not even come out and speak to you! The licence issued there and then is a 3 month temporary licence, you permanent one will be sent to your home address within 6 weeks.

As for hour building I used Rainbow Air Academy at LGB, been several times. Good choice of aircraft, well maintained, friendly staff, prices about $50-$90/Hr for SEPs and $160/Hr for a twin (off the top of my head!)

<a href="http://www.rainbowair.com" target="_blank">www.rainbowair.com</a>

Julian.

18greens
31st Jan 2002, 14:41
Try plus one flyers <a href="http://www.plusone.org." target="_blank">www.plusone.org.</a> in san diego

They are not a school but a very large flying group with about 30 planes. It costs $100 to join then you can fly all of their ac subject to checkout. They don't mind how long you fly per day as long as you do an hour.

There are plenty of instructors around the FBO to check you out.

TRANQUILLO
31st Jan 2002, 18:33
HI GUYS,

Thank you very much for all the info and for the time you took to reply.

JULIAN do you have an address or tel numb to contact for the licence conversion in LGB?(As you have been there several times I think you have used this office yourself...),thanks in advance.

18 GREENS after you pay the $100 what are the charges that I should expect? If they are in the region of $50-$60 hour it's probably better to go to a normal FTO and get the same hours saving $100.....If it's cheaper it's an other story.

Cheers everyone

PI

Julian
31st Jan 2002, 19:38
PI,

Afraid I dont on me but they are just down the road from Rainbow, if you get in contact with them they will be able to give you the details. gice Rainbow a call, you will probably get Jenny and she is very helpful. They can also give you details of sorting out your FAA medical which you will need to fly over there (sorry forgot to mention this before!)

18 makes a good point as well, I have heard of a group based at Carlsbad, San Diego (McClellan Palomar Airport) who run the same sort of scheme, you pay $75 and you following a checkout you get a key which fits all aircraft, you just book them out as needed. Apparently do an Arrow Iv for $70/Hr! They will also let you use the aircraft with you own instructor if you want one for training purposes. Not fully sure of the details yet but intend to try and find out for when I get over there next....

Julian.

Gazeem2
31st Jan 2002, 22:42
When I was in California last year at this time, the LA Basin had naff weather, either clouds or the 'Marine Layer'.

However, a hundred or so mile inland at Palm Springs it was glorious sunshine every day.

There were a few outfits out there offering aircraft, the one I saw looked quite professional, I don't have their name but I'm sure they're on the web.

18greens
1st Feb 2002, 15:27
You pays your money and takes your choice. Check out the website.

The advantage of Plus one is they have excellent availablity and don't get the aircraft clogged up with students. They also have so many aircraft that if one goes tech you just grab the next one in the line.They have 8 172's plus a couple of 152 They also refund fuel at full price (not $2/gall as most schools do). The minimum you need to fly is one hour if you book the ac for a whole day and if you book less then there is no minimum.

The planes are nice, not tired old school planes.

If you hire a school plane and it goes tech will they have avilability for the rest of your hol.

Plus one also have a duchess at $140/hour, go and do a twin rating.

What ever you do have a good time, the states are an excellent place to fly.

Julian
1st Feb 2002, 15:55
Gazeem, Yep know the marine layer well !!!

The weather in CA is one of the reasons I keep reurning to fly there, you can find anything you want. On the coast is great for IFR training, inland for perfect VFR and dont forget you can fly into mountains (well not literally I hope!), and high density altutides and of course ski resorts - aiming for the black strip in all the snow is good fun!

There is also the infamous Catalina Island (Avalon was the home of the founder of Wrigleys chewing gum apparently), if you muck up your lanidng in either direction a cliff face is waiting to remind you!!!

Julian.