PDA

View Full Version : Commercial pilot qualification

switchatko
30th Aug 2013, 16:51
Hello everyone,

I will try to make my questions short.
I have been under pressure of my parents to study business related degree that I absolutely hated ever since and always wanted to be a pilot.
However, as nobody supported my decision since young age, I have never even touched an airplane.

I am 21 years old and am finishing my degree in IT business.

Now... I have inherited amount of money sufficient to cover the commercial pilot licence (about 60k £).
I have booked my appointment to check my medical condition and in case of having perfect eyesight and blood tests I am evaluating putting everything into it.
I was also thinking about military way, however as I have the money now I don't see the reason why.

I do understand the "regression" and situation in airlines and know that if I would have my licence there is zero chance of becoming actually a pilot in airline and the path is not easy.

My question is, if the medical examination and money is the only restraint or is
there something else. (compulsory engineering degree etc.)

Thanks for any information.

Dash8driver1312
30th Aug 2013, 20:00
You don't need "perfect" eyesight. Just within limits.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Aug 2013, 20:29
The big issue here is that you've not been near a flying machine. Until you've done that you don't know...

(1) If you like flying.
(2) If you have any aptitude for it.
(3) If you will be happier with flying as a job or hobby.
(4) lf you can pass the medical.

So, I'd recommend the following plan...

(1) Get a class 1 medical
(2) Do a PPL
(3) Ask lots of questions of your instructors
(4) Re-assess

No, you don't need qualifications apart from licences and medical but it's a huge jump without significant personaI knowledge. Advice alone, however good, isn't enough.

stn
30th Aug 2013, 20:45
I've said this a few times on this forum (and on few others too): I personally wouldn't train in present climate. Thing is, there are thousands of unemployed pilots fighting for few jobs on the line. Contracts are getting worse and lobbyists are trying to pass laws which will deteriorate the working conditions even more.

Even with cadetships and airline schemes I'd think long and hard before jumping on board. But most wannabes do it anyway despite wise words they're told before starting. Just like I did :}

My question is, if the medical examination and money is the only restraint or is there something else. (compulsory engineering degree etc.)Some companies require a degree when hiring a first officer, some don't. Naturally if there's two in every other way identical applicants, the guy with the degree will probably get the job.

switchatko
30th Aug 2013, 21:36
Guys thank you thousand times for the replies it helped a lot.

I have booked my first flights this week and cant wait to try it out.

I do understand my situation is not that bright.
I hope any university degree is a plus though.

One more thing, the commercial pilot licences prices vary in countries, I assume that is because of patrol prices, however, do the commercial pilot licence include PPL and instrumental and all the necessary qualifications?

Thanks a lot again its much appreciated.

PigeonVoyageur
31st Aug 2013, 10:40
Difference in price is due also to cost of living, for example, aircraft rental fees, instructors salaries, landing and approach fees at airfields.

Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) does not include PPL and instrument rating. CPL is only a module among others. They are: Private Pilots Licence (PPL), Hour Building, Night Rating, Multi Engine Class Rating, Commercial Pilots Licence(CPL) and Multi Engine Instrument Rating, ATPL which is ground class and Multi-Crew Cooperation (MCC) course which is in a simulator only. However, ensure that the price quoted by the schools includes or excludes any landing/approach fees, flight test aircraft rental and examination fees (where exams are required).

However the MCC and ATPL are not a must.unless you're aiming for an airline job.

switchatko
31st Aug 2013, 11:15
Thank you for all the help.
Its much appreciated.
Take care guys.

Torque Tonight
31st Aug 2013, 21:10
Genghis' post is spot on. I would add that from your post it is clear to me that the military path is not fo you. RAF interviewers are an astute bunch and I am pretty sure you would be wasting your time. Your motivations are not military and joining the RAF is not simply a cheap way to get to the airlines.

Regarding constraints, pretty much anybody can get a frozen ATPL. Getting a paying flying job is a very different challenge. Read some of the many posts on the subject to get a feel for the employment market and your prospects. Do you feel lucky?