PDA

View Full Version : Part 145 Maintenance and RPT

Jabawocky
30th Aug 2013, 01:20
Without messing up the other threads, how is that the following is good for business in Australia.

Charter operator, with piston twins (or singles in their fleet for non RPT) needs to upgrade to RPT operations.

Now when an engine requires work or overhaul the engines must be sent to a 145 approved engine shop.

145 engine shop now needs to have a bunch of SMS and this and that officers....who can't be the same people, and this drives the cost of doing business up by well in excess of $100K a year. Possibly double that, which requires as a rough guess an additional 12-24 6 cylinder overhauls a year just to break even, let alone be worth it. So the price jumps up a heap.

OR.............the charter/RPT operator just buys an engine from and old engine shop in the USA and puts it straight on the wing.

Please not I am not in the business of this so I may be assuming things or have things wrong but this sounds like a recipe for disaster for local companies and as the rules and laws of this country are implemented and have a negative impact on Australians, how is this allowed.

If I am wrong and far from reality, happy to have the thread closed down.

Just wondering. Has anyone at AMROBA thought this one out?

LeadSled
30th Aug 2013, 08:58
------ just wondering. Has anyone at AMROBA thought this one out?

Jaba,
In recent times, AMROBA has thought of little else, and if you know what you are looking for, you can see AMROBA's diligent lobbying of Truss in the LNP aviation policy, launched today.
Tootle pip!!

The Coalition?s plan for Aviation > The Nationals > Latest News (http://www.nationals.org.au/News/LatestNews/tabid/94/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/8533/The-Coalitions-plan-for-Aviation.aspx)

The link is just to the press release, I am looking for a link to the whole policy, or ask <[email protected]> and he will send you a copy.

Oracle1
30th Aug 2013, 09:29
Just read the press release and it reads well. Its also looking like Krudd is going to get the ass kicking he so richly deserves. I just hope its not just election talk from Truss and that he actually follows through. I hope they sack some public service dead wood in CASA and ASA and ATSB. In my dealings with the Queensland public service I notice they are a whole lot more co operative these days.

Jabawocky
30th Aug 2013, 10:52
Thanks Leadie,

The problem is, it will be too little too late. The shops will be out of business, prices gone up, or just buy from the USA where no 145 will be required and we lose a whole industry.

One thing everybody needs to understand is this. Just like an airport, once you carve it up it will NEVER come back.

Just like the manufacturing industry, the cattle industry, the tourism industry, and you can go on for hours.

It is no secret on this forum which way I vote, but I have to say that despite making all the right noises it is all talk and BS. They say that and it is what we all want to hear so we believe in it. Why not say we ail bring back 80c/Litre Avgas. Same result.

The tax system needs 100% abolishing and start again with a flat company tax and a XX% applied to everything GST. I say XX because I do not know if it needs to be 13 or 17 or 23%, but abolish the entire system and do that. Put incentive back not taxation and punishment.

Same applies at CASA.....you know, sub out the WHOLE operation to the kiwis.

If only I were PM for 6 years to get it done. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm.....Jaba needs medication I think, what was I thinking.

The wise words of my friend Walter Atkinson.....the solution is at the bottom of a vodka bottle! :}

thorn bird
30th Aug 2013, 13:21
Trouble with people who don't drink Jabba...
When they wake up in the morning that's as good as their going to feel all day!!!

Grogmonster
1st Sep 2013, 03:56
Can anybody tell me if AD ENG 5, as it applies to PT6 turbines, will still carry on? If not there will be a lot of KingAirs grounded when Part 145 comes in.

Groggy

LeadSled
1st Sep 2013, 04:54
If not there will be a lot of KingAirs grounded when Part 145 comes in.

Groggie,

That will satisfy a small but influential group in CASA --- the major proponents of the "My job is to ground aeroplanes" brigade, aided and abetted ( and in some cases one and the same) as the "there should only be two kinds of aviation, airlines and military" mob.
Both quotes are first hand, and those who made those statement are in executive positions in CASA to this day.

Tootle pip!!

Oracle1
1st Sep 2013, 06:23
From Steve Creedy The Australian

THE federal Coalition plans to bring in a prominent member of the international aviation community to conduct an external review of aviation safety and regulations similar to the Wheeler inquiry into aviation security.

It will announce the move today as part of its aviation policy that foreshadows a potential restructure of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and a strengthening of the CASA board by increasing the number of members from four to six.

It is also promising a formal aviation industry consultative council that would meet regularly with the transport minister to address matters of concern to the wider industry, and an industry complaints commissioner to investigate grievances about the regulator or its operatives "in a reasonable time".

The external safety and regulation review comes after recent adverse findings by the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Committee and after industry feedback that safety regulations were being inappropriately applied and were too bureaucratic.

"We've had such feedback from the industry about the regulatory process and the operations of CASA, it simply has to be addressed," opposition transport spokesman Warren Truss told The Australian.

"We've also got the inevitable and ongoing differences of opinion in the sector about how everything should be done and I thought the Wheeler Review was actually a very useful exercise in dealing with aviation security.

"Not all the recommendations were perfect, but it acted as a circuit breaker and his report has effectively underpinned all that we've done on aviation security since."

Mr Truss said he thought it highly unlikely there would be a consensus on the best way to proceed with the regulatory system.

He said a Coalition government would not proceed with changes until the review was completed. He said he would like to have it completed so that key decisions could be made by March, when current CASA boss John McCormick's current term expired.

"There are some things I can do immediately without asking for an outside expert. It's just self-evident," Mr Truss said. "For instance, it's silly to have a board that the CEO is not answerable to, and things like that. But it's better to do it all in one go when a new person is appointed or there is a renewal of a term."

Mr Truss conceded that aviation had been an area "where angels dared to tread", but there was concern about the system wherever he went, particularly among licensed aircraft maintenance engineers.

"The big airlines, they can cope with this, because they've got the people and the systems, but the poor one-man operator or just two or three people at a country airfield, this paper war is something they can't very easily cope with," Mr Truss said.

The industry complaints commissioner would be responsible for investigating complaints about CASA personnel and delegates or authorised personnel.

The commissioner would be required to provide a quarterly report to the board and director of aviation safety that included a summary of activities, the number or complaints received and time taken to respond.

"The other issue we get constantly is criticism of differences in the way the same laws are interpreted in different offices by different people," Mr Truss said.