PDA

View Full Version : Faa-training for jar-ops. What next?

maf
30th Aug 2013, 00:10
Hi everybody!

Im just out to ask a question and harvest some information, and if you are willing to share/answer, I say: thank you for spending your time on it!:ok:

Im a norwegian, married and have a kid, who is 25 hours into modular faa ppl(h)-training here in FL, USA (not bristow). Im aiming no less than to make this my living.

Problem 1 of 10^10:

Im a bit Jar and easa confused. I know alot of the rules, but whats best to do?

Should i finish faa ir and cpl before i convert to jar and finish up jar atpl

Or

Should i begin jar atpl study and preps as soon as my icao/faa ppl is in hand?

Which would be more difficult or expensive?

Its not that im asking you to make my descision, just asking for inputs if you have them (sensible ones, that is:O), because Im clueless when it comes to possible combos of how to do this.

I greatly appreciate any sharing of experiences and general inputs answers.

paco
30th Aug 2013, 04:01
Begin the EASA studies asap (once you have PPLH), because there is a lot to get through. PM me for details if you wish.

As for flying, I don't know where you are, but listening to the comments from some schools who inherit FAA candidates, the news is not all good, so you may need to budget for some remedial training for JAA.

If you are going for the ATP, that involves the IR - treat yourself for around 60 hours of seriously accurate flying before you turn up for the training. If you have an FAA IR, your training will be "as required", but make sure you at least get the rudiments of the ADF. That will save some training.

Phil

MartinCh
1st Sep 2013, 02:57
Ditto Phil's note/caution about NDB/ADF. It's needed for European IR flight test, even if you never use it afterwards. (unlike practical flying in Australia long distance). If the aircraft doesn't have it installed int he US, you don't have to demonstrate it on flight test (although should be covered by ground/sim training), if there are non-precision and precision approach capabilities.

EDIT: You'd be hard pressed to find R22/44 with ADF, too. Pretty scarce in small aeroplanes already unless VERY old instruments that weren't replaced with dual VOR/ILS 'gages' or something more fancy like HSI, Garmins etc

maf
2nd Sep 2013, 12:36
Thats true. The IR Robinsons at my flight school does not have adf. The Schweizer IR-trainer might have it on second thought, but at least they have a simulator with adf receivers.

paco
2nd Sep 2013, 17:32
A small tip: If you have full rose mode on your GPS, even a VOR will appear round the outside of the rose and behave just like an NDB.

Phil

maf
2nd Sep 2013, 23:11
Tip is copied and pasted to my notes. Thank you!