PDA

View Full Version : First solo

loggie1983
29th Aug 2013, 16:46
Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Having not flown since mid July with about 12 hours under my belt, yesterday I went up for what I thought would be an hour refresher training. Well after 3 circuits my instructor said 'fancy doing it yourself?', well why not!

The most nervous moment was setting full power and rolling faster and faster down the runway. Once up, everything was great (gorgeous views of the med for one). Completed downwind checks, turn onto base leg then finale with radio call (got a little nervous here!) noticed I was slightly low due to VASI on my approach, a little more power sorted that out, flared and touch down.

Again, amazing, I did it, quality, was one (as everyone says) of the best experiences ever.

Just wanted to say (think my wife and kids are getting bored of me talking about it now, so here you all are!)

Well, onto nav now.

Cheers:ok:

flybymike
29th Aug 2013, 17:02
Many congratulations, it's the beginning of much joy in years to come.

(You have also thoughtfully provided a solution to the perennial argument as to whether it should be "final" or "finals" by calling it "finale." I think I will adopt the same Italian flavour from now on;). )

Jeffs26
29th Aug 2013, 17:05
Wait until you get onto flying your qualifying cross country flight. For me it was the highlight of gaining my licence.
You'll be buzzing for weeks :ok:

foxmoth
29th Aug 2013, 17:24
Congrats and well done

knew the vis was good, but (gorgeous views of the med for one) from Devon, that is impressive!:}

loggie1983
29th Aug 2013, 17:32
Thanks all. You're right, from Devon, luckily I'm over in Med at the moment so got some good weather, well up until all the concrete heats up and the air starts bashing me about a bit and the afternoon winds here on the cost.

Looking forward to the cross country part and getting a little more freedom. I'm loving it, it's great, I know there is a lot more hard work to do, and to keep doing for the rest of my flying time, but nothing beats it!

localflighteast
29th Aug 2013, 19:35
congratulations.
I always love to hear about other people's solos. It brings all the emotion flooding back.

Have you stopped grinning yet ? :)

Well done :D
onwards and upwards

ac80
29th Aug 2013, 20:43
Big congratulations.

Did my first solo last Saturday too after about 12 hours.

Had absolutely no idea about it until after 5 circuits my instructor called the tower to announce that we were making a full stop landing this time as opposed to a touch and go as he was getting out!

His last words were "you're going solo mate, one circuit, see you back here" and with that he unplugged his headset, got out and closed the door!

To say I was nervous would be a massive understatement but the feeling afterwards was amazing! :D:rolleyes:

captain_flynn
29th Aug 2013, 20:54
Well done and congratulations :)

Steve6443
29th Aug 2013, 22:14
Ah yes, that first solo......

I remember being airborne and enjoying the rush of being alone when it dawned on me - I'm alone..... I have to land the plane.

Piece of cake, I thought and just after I'd turned from Crosswind onto the downwind leg, I was running through the procedure when my thoughts were rudely interrupted by a radio call

"Telgte Info, D-Mxxx Downwind, Runway 28 to land"

The thoughts which went through my mind were:

1) Downwind, that's where I am

2) Where the xxxx is he

3) ****, he's got priority as I spotted him

4) double ****, it's an ultralight so I'll have to drop the speed and extend my downwind in order to ensure I had adequate spacing.

Even so, I'm on final and the guy is pottering down the runway, making no attempts to vacate even though he's heard me call "final, number 2, number one in sight" and am wondering, at what point do I announce "D-Exxx, going around" when the guy in the Tower said "D-Mxxx, please expedite vacating the runway, student on first solo behind you coming to land....."

Congrats, just keep with it, one day you'll be doing your cross country exercises then suddenly you'll have your licence and joining the ranks of those who walk looking longingly to the skies......

StuartUK
29th Aug 2013, 23:35
Congratulations and well done. I did my first solo nav today which was absolutely fantastic as was watching two Apaches in formation land directly after me. My C152 looked like a child's toy compared to them.

I just want to point out that the Apache's arrival was nothing to do with me or my piloting!

thing
30th Aug 2013, 08:00
Well done that man :D:D:D:D. Welcome to the ranks of the terminally poor.:)

trident3A
30th Aug 2013, 09:00
Congratulations - the sense of achievement is amazing

clinique_happy
31st Aug 2013, 11:21
Congratultions

I have just this morning completed my first land away as part of my ppl h and must say I am absolutely buzzing! The licence is in reach

Shaggy Sheep Driver
31st Aug 2013, 18:10
Have to disagree with Jeffs. Nothing (certainly not the first XC), comes close to that first solo for a sense of elation and achievement. The very first time you fly an aeroplane on your own - whatever follows, and it can be some amazing stuff, can never equal that.

Congratulations! I remember mine back in 1978 after 10 hours dual was quite unexpected. Tom Dugdale walked away from the clattering old C150 having folded his straps on seat, saying in answer to my astonishment "you're better than you think you are. Enjoy it".

Metaphorically, I didn't come down to earth for days! 35 years later it's still a major highlight of my flying life.

localflighteast
1st Sep 2013, 13:44
I'm with Shaggy Sheep Driver,

my first solo literally changed my whole outlook on life. It made me re evaluate just what I could achieve in life if I wanted to.

It was about more than just flinging a plane round the circuit for 5 minutes, it gave me confidence in my abilities in everything, not just flying.

Since my solo I've done all kinds of stuff that I simply never would have considered doing before.

habdl
5th Sep 2013, 20:07
I had my first solo three weeks ago and for some reason it felt just like flying with instructor. Only difference was steeper climbs :)
So, I was kind of disappointed with the feeling, hopefully solo cross country will be different

srobarts
5th Sep 2013, 22:07
Well done, I remember by first solo some 44 years ago.
My cross country was equally memorable. From Carlisle round the Lakes and down to Blackpool- brilliant experience.

turbulentmonkey
6th Sep 2013, 02:28
Congratulations on the solo!

I remember lifting off the ground on mine and looking at the empty seat next to me thinking "S***!, now I have to land this thing!"

The solo x-country is an even more rewarding experience and you still have that to look forward to :ok:

All the best with the rest of your training

dagowly
6th Sep 2013, 20:46
Congrats! I remember having mine on my 17th birthday :) worked out really well timing wise!