PDA

View Full Version : What did you sign up for?

Neoburner
29th Aug 2013, 08:07
Hello Ppruners

Came over this blog: What did you sign up for? - Air Facts Journal (http://airfactsjournal.com/2013/08/what-did-you-sign-up-for/)

I am currently doing my PPL and thought this was a good read.

So the question is: What did you sign up for?

I love flying, from the age of 15 I have always wanted to do it, albeit it's not cheap, but most things are the same in life, I found my bug, and this is why I have started.

I can't see myself going commercial as my current career I enjoy enough, but getting ratings to push myself maybe one thing I go for, who knows?

Anybody else care to share thoughts on why you got into it? Or even why you want to get into it?

Neo

thing
29th Aug 2013, 09:37
Because I like flying? The freedom, the abilty to get to places and back in a day that would be impossible in a car, the challenge and satisfaction of a flight well done, the views, the pleasure of breaking out of an overcast into a gin clear day with clouds like snow beneath you, being privileged enough to have the ability to do something that not many others do. The list is endless.

Bit like asking why someone goes fishing. Probably because they like going fishing...:)

Edit: Just read that through and it sounded a bit harsh, have put a smiley on the end.

There's another one I've just thought of as well that's important to me, the camaraderie of fellow pilots. Others may disagree but wherever I fly to I always get a good welcome and am talking rubbish (just like on this forum then!) about flying to a group of strangers who are talking rubbish about flying within five minutes.

Neoburner
29th Aug 2013, 10:16
Thank you for the post edit.

I have known a few pilots who fly for other reasons, for the money, for the glory, not because they enjoy it, in fact most I speak to in today's climate get pushed into it from family etc.

It's always good to see how and why people get into the hobby.

So like the one fisher-man fishes for enjoyment, the other fishes to provide food for the family, or for profit.

N

thing
29th Aug 2013, 10:32
I think there's a difference between pros and pilots like us though. We don't have to do it, they do because it's their living so I guess it's a completely different mindset. I wouldn't want to be a commercial pilot or instructor, I could see me getting jaded with it if I had to do it. Flying is the one thing in my life that is a pure indulgence for me and I want it to stay that way.

It's also nice just to sit around at the club on a sunny day and do nothing. There's many a time I've gone up there with the intention of flying and have been content enough just to pass the time swapping tall stories with mates lounging about on the grass.

Heston
29th Aug 2013, 10:42
Funny isn't it - most leisure activities that we pay to do for enjoyment are things that to other people are jobs that they get paid to do...

Neoburner
29th Aug 2013, 11:01
I have had moments when commercial pops into my head, but it seems unrealistic so I am going to head down the instructor route I think, something I could do on the side.

Time is a major factor for me so trying to juggle it about is always fun.

tomtytom
29th Aug 2013, 11:11
I use and abuse my ppl to take females flying. Lunches, walks on the beach, spa trips, romantic jollys over the lakes. There is nothing more interesting then performing weight and balence cals for a 172 with 3 girls onboard and myself :)

riverrock83
29th Aug 2013, 11:45
Now do you use the weights they tell you or do you bring some scales? Do you include handbag weight in the calculations?

Don't think I've ever considered flying to have "sex appeal"...

I do it for the challenge, for the learning experience, for the enjoyment, for the hobby aspect, to spend time with my in law(s)...

clunk1001
29th Aug 2013, 20:15
There is nothing more interesting then performing weight and balence cals for a 172 with 3 girls onboard and myself

When you're a little older Tomtytom, I'll tell you several things which are more interesting to do with 3 girls than performing mass and balance calculations...

The youth of today...:ugh:

:ok:

tomtytom
29th Aug 2013, 20:21
Hahahah im still young stupid and niave :) chicks do dig going flying. Sunday dinner at kirkbride walks on the beach at Caernarfon and spa trips at enstone :) nothing like flying around in a 172 with a fake moustache on some cheap shades and making them scream with a 30 degree banked turn followed by a fit of giggles :) definitely living the high life :p

clunk1001
29th Aug 2013, 20:28
You are right Tomtytom, I took 2 girls flying, and married the second one.....before I was your age.

tomtytom
29th Aug 2013, 20:33
Still clasping desperately onto that dream that Comercial pilots still get naughty with cabin crew

Steve6443
29th Aug 2013, 22:47
I signed up because I was afraid of flying. I would always drive everywhere, preferring a 10 hour drive to a 2 hour flight, I'd been to the Lufthansa course to alleviate fear of flying but no luck - in fact the people running it said to me that possibly learning to fly might help me.

A couple of years ago I had some cash left over and thought: I'll have a go with a "schnupperflug" (introductory flight). I hated it to begin with, the plane was bouncing around but at the end, I decided learning to fly is something I wanted to do. So I signed up, I didn't go solo until 22 hours mainly because of my fear of flying, my stomach was knotted, my knuckles were white on the control column / throttle but once I'd gotten my fear under control, everything went like a dream and I ended up receiving my licence with slightly less than 47 hours in the book.

Since then have flown all over Europe including crossing the North Sea in a 172 but the biggest benefit is that I'm no longer afraid of flying commercial airlines which makes my business easier.....