PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Generation Changes

rotor-focus
28th Aug 2013, 17:54
First of I just want to say that I'm completely new this forum. But I like it.

I have not started my helicopter pilot education yet. but I have been dreaming about it now for a very long time, so i figure I should just go for it, I need a career change, and I always wanted to fly Helicopters. enough about me.

I heard somewhere that there is going to be a Pilot career generation changes now in between 2014 and 2016. has anybody else heard this?

the reason I'm asking is that this will impact how soon I will start my pilot education, since "if it is" there will be a lot easier to get a job, when there is a demand for pilots rather then it not being a demand. and between the school first year and being an instructor the second year" I could manage to get over a 1000h of PIC.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating a previously asked question. I search but could not find anything on this topic.

Devil 49
29th Aug 2013, 15:05
"I heard somewhere that there is going to be a Pilot career generation changes now in between 2014 and 2016. has anybody else heard this?"

If that proposition is predicated on the "Viet Nam era pilots" retiring in that time period, it's a silly bit of precision. That process is ongoing and has been for decades. My seat will definitely be open sometime in the next decade, that pilot will have to be qualified at that exact moment or the job will go to someone else. If I quit tomorrow, you're out of luck between 2014 and 2016, exactly as you would be if I decide to stay until 2019. I knew a pilot who flew into his eighties...

Management opinion varies in statements of the impact of my contemporaries leaving the labor pool, some see significant shortages of experienced pilots, others point out that there is an existing oversupply of qualified (commercial licensed) pilots.

Yuh pays yer money and takes yer chances. Yuh have to play to be a winner...