PDA

View Full Version : General flight test question

flyer96
27th Aug 2013, 18:37
Dear All,

I have a question regarding the minimum age to take the general flight test for an EASA PPL.

I'm 16 years old and my birthday is in December. Today I completed my qualifying cross country and as such am nearing the end of the PPL syllabus, with just some revision flights to go. I have heard that the general flight test can be taken before the 17th birthday but I cannot find any legal document to support that despite trawling through CAP 804. I am well aware that I cannot have my license issued until my 17th birthday but it would be preferable to take the test now rather than later, while I am very current.

Any pointers towards any legal documentation that suggests that I could take my test before my 17th, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Josh

Whopity
27th Aug 2013, 20:03
The law states:
Regulation 1178/2011
FCL.200 Minimum age
(a) An applicant for a PPL shall be at least 17 years of age;

Apart from solo flight there is no other age stipulation regarding the training or testing. It is referred to as a Skill Test not a GFT.

dera
27th Aug 2013, 23:16
I'm not 100% fluent on Part-FCL but what is defined as "applying for PPL", as in, can you do the skill test, and apply later?

Whopity
28th Aug 2013, 10:24
Applying means arriving on the issuing officers desk; you can send it in early but they can't accept it until your birthday. If you submit it early it can be first in the queue for that days applications.