PDA

View Full Version : Sunstate aviation or sheble aviation

mrclumsy
26th Aug 2013, 07:30
Hey everyone ,
First of all yes , I have used the search function and read up as much as I can on these two schools . I am an australian pilot with a cpl looking at getting an U.S.A atp . I have contacted these two schools. It's getting to a point where I have to decide between these two within the next couple of days .
Any information or exp from people who have dealt with either of these two schools ( maybe even for an A.T.P) would be of great help.
Regards:}

nick14
26th Aug 2013, 18:24
Flown with sunstate, great place with lovely aircraft and usually descent availability. They are a little protective so will not rent solo any retractable or twin aircraft. Otherwise friendly place.

Stewsan
26th Aug 2013, 19:13
About 30 years ago I went to Sheble so its possible it's changed a tad.... But, it was a great experience. I went up with the old man, he shutoff the fuel on #2 in the old Apache and the knob came off. So, in 40c temps, I'm struggling to keep it off the cacti. He told me if I could make it back to the airport, I'd have my multi commercial instrument. It cost me $499 all in, and when I gave him $500, he gave me back a dollar. Not sure if it's changed, has it???

jayteeto
26th Aug 2013, 19:20
Renewed an IR with sunstate, totally professional, friendly and no 'hidden extras'.

S-Works
2nd Sep 2013, 09:21
I was distinctly unimpressed with Sunstate a few years ago. They messed a group of three of us around something rotten. We booked an aircraft and checkout with them and confirmed it in writing several times before flying. Arrived on the agreed day and no aircraft or Instructor. They wanted us all to do BFR's despite the fact we all had current BFR's done in the last 6 weeks. I have no objection to a checkout but paying for a full BFR and not telling us about it in advance and then not having an aircraft or Instructor was a shambles.

We went to Tailwheels at Winterhaven who did a quick check for Insurance and set us up with a nice G1000 172 with delivery hours only at our disposal for the 2 weeks. Prices were much better as well and the whole atmosphere was club like friendly.