PDA

View Full Version : Grass strip at Forfar in Angus

piperboy84
25th Aug 2013, 18:56
Hi all, I,m Duncan that has the strip at Forfar, I was wondering if any of the visitors to the strip today (Sunday 25th) noticed if a red MTOSport Gyrocopter call sign G-CFUW landed during your visit, I,d appreciate if anyone did see it there to let me know approximately what time it landed/departed.

Thanks Duncan

dont overfil
25th Aug 2013, 19:43
Hi Duncan,
I believe 'HL landed. Identical to 'UW. Returned to Perth 17.00.
D.O.

piperboy84
25th Aug 2013, 20:03
Hi Pete , I figured the Perth based red one landed but i think UW may have landed also.

Renmure
26th Aug 2013, 16:17
Hi Duncan,

Gyro HL probably did a low pass at 1430/1500(ish) then but then headed off to Strathallan direction cause the grass was long.

Myself (G-RS) and 2 mates (another flex and a 3 axis) came in at just after HL would have been there. We went to the cafe and phoned HL who then came back and landed at about 16.15. We all left at about 16.30 (I was last to go due to taking pics of the others taking off) and HL hovered around till I was off the ground. Myself and HL landed back at Perth about 5 mins after Pete on the tower put his feet up for the day ;)

piperboy84
26th Aug 2013, 17:04
Thanks Renmure,

Let HL know a fancy new (too me) Hayter 324 mower getting delivered tomorrow, I am overseas for a month, so providing the the GF or one the kids manage to master the controls the strip should look like a well manicured bowling green in a jiffy according to the salesman:8

Re: Time Pete put his feet up/and the end of his shift, those two actions may not necessarily be concurrent events !! :D, (sorry couldn,t resist)

Renmure
26th Aug 2013, 17:26
It wasn't that long.
Gyro pilots are just wusses ;)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/renmure/DSCN2387_zpsf8b457bb.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/renmure/media/DSCN2387_zpsf8b457bb.jpg.html)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/renmure/bcolin_zps791dfdfd.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/renmure/media/bcolin_zps791dfdfd.jpg.html)

Bigears
26th Aug 2013, 20:26
Hi Duncan,
Where can I find info on the strip?
I'd be interested in going, but of course need to check dimensions and availability (not just hours/days but permission) first.
Thanks

philippevd
26th Aug 2013, 21:10
Hi Duncan, your strip is also unknown to me, and I couldn't find it in my database. Do you want to add the info to wikiairports.com?

piperboy84
26th Aug 2013, 22:02
Biglugs

2miles east o' Forfar, E/W layout, about 1650 ft, left traffic,use safetycom, plenty wide,cafe about 200m S of 27 threshold over the fence and along the path. Watch for birds on final and some of the ones working in the cafe !!!

Bigears
26th Aug 2013, 22:27
Thanks Duncs :p
Just turn up or PPR?
Any noise sensitive areas?
Will need a wee breeze for me to avoid brown trousers on the take-off roll, but hope to visit in the near future. Cheers :ok:

piperboy84
26th Aug 2013, 22:44
Turn up fine, try avoid overflying village to the NW,

Will need a wee breeze for me to avoid brown trousers on the take-off roll
What u flying?

Bigears
26th Aug 2013, 23:00
Zodiac HDS (100hp). Would require several things to come together- headwind, firm ground, light fuel load, no pax, short grass and a good study of the performance figures to ensure no embarrassment or pucker factor (not in any particular order!).

piperboy84
26th Aug 2013, 23:36
grounds always firm as the strip was build on a old sand quarry which provides good drainage,

I looked at the specs for you plane at
Super ZODIAC CH 601 HDS (http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/601-hds.html)

its got slightly better TO/land capabilities than my aircraft and i generally never use more than 1/3 to a 1/2 the distance available even when heavy so don't think you will have a problem

Croqueteer
27th Aug 2013, 12:11
:confused:Hullo, I was brought up at Burnside, justwondering where exactly your strip is. I see a possibility just north of Rescobie, but the nearest village to the NW is aberlemno, a good bit away. I have a Jodel 120a, and hope to get up there sometime. I live in the midlands now, and at 71 its a wee while since I was in the area!

maxred
27th Aug 2013, 15:17
about 1650 ft,

If my calculator is correct, that's about 500 mts.

Ryanair would be looking to park a 738 in there, if they knew about it:rolleyes:

aviate1138
27th Aug 2013, 16:02
Lat and Long would be a help..........

Is the cafe the Trumperton Forge Tearoom?

mad_jock
27th Aug 2013, 17:00
They don't do metric in Forfar.

a metric Forfar bridie

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/00/65/76/657621.jpg

It just would nae be right.

maxred
27th Aug 2013, 18:02
One for three shillings, or ten for thruppence:confused:

Croqueteer
27th Aug 2013, 19:11
:ouch::eek:Mad Jock, whatever they were they are not Forfar bridies. To be Forfar bridies they have to be made by McLarens or the baker in East High St, the pastry looks totally different.

mad_jock
28th Aug 2013, 02:42
This is true its been years in fact back in the days of me driving lorrys since the day I had a true Forfar Bridie which we all know is superior to the Cornish imitation.

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Aug 2013, 05:27
Till you have tried and been tested.

For real, not a Ginsters.

glf

dont overfil
28th Aug 2013, 06:30
Bill McLaren used to bring some bridies in to the flying club at Dundee when he kept his AA5 there.
D.O.

mad_jock
28th Aug 2013, 09:29
I have tasted one in a village where everyone looks the same with webbed fingers, with a pub call the smugglers inn.

Mind you the ones in LGW next to the train station aren't to bad either.

Main thing about the Forfar Bridies made in forfar is that they get the meat from the local butcher and it will be local beasts killed up in Portlethen. Which to be honest is why alot of things taste better up north they just don't go through the same supply chain that they do down south.

Oh and if anyone is passing the killing factory on the way to Aberdeen from the south its well worth stopping at the factory shop. If its a bulk order go in in the morning and pick it up on the way back frozen or unfrozen your choice. They will go and cut what ever you like. Last time I was in they did us half a lamb for about 20% cheaper than the shops.

Flyingmac
28th Aug 2013, 10:00
Perhaps some bridies could be laid out to assist in finding this strip from the air. Failing that, some co-ordinates would be helpful.:rolleyes:

P.S. The best bridies in the world are locally made in Portpatrick:)

mad_jock
28th Aug 2013, 11:14
Maybe piperboy can do a bridie on request for landing.

Stick them in a cooler box at the side of the field if he isn't about :D

maxred
28th Aug 2013, 15:04
Maybe piperboy can do a bridie on request for landing

Remember its only 500 mts, need to watch your weight for getting back out:hmm:

some co-ordinates would be helpful.:rolleyes:

I am sure the co-ordinates will be provided shortly:confused:

piperboy84
28th Aug 2013, 15:04
Dare i say it, but I prefer Saddlers bridies over Maclarens. Cant beat a cup o' tea and an elephants lug after a long flight.

forfarstrip_zpsd0e5a46c.jpg Photo by renmure | Photobucket (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/renmure/media/forfarstrip_zpsd0e5a46c.jpg.html)

and this is the cafe someone was asking about

Tea Room - and Giftshop at Murton Trust, Forfar (http://www.murtonwildlife.org.uk/tearoom.htm)

mad_jock
28th Aug 2013, 15:19
I think they want you to go stand in the middle of the runway with a GPS and get Lat, long coordinates.

Croqueteer
28th Aug 2013, 17:44
:)That looks to be on Alfie Elder's farm. (Lochhead?) We were in the same Academy class.

mad_jock
28th Aug 2013, 19:55
I was just thinking i delivered there in an artic 15-16 years ago. JBT wagon.

piperboy84
29th Aug 2013, 01:14
That looks to be on Alfie Elder's farm
Close but no cigar, Elders place was the next field over, this was Dave Wilkies farm called Fledmyre, both were eventually bought out by Fyfes brick makers (same folks that own the quarry at the end of the runway at Dyce) and quarried, then half was turned into a nature reserve where kids who are having behavior problems and are barred from school finish up there education helping out under the watchful eye of an ex soldier park warden, based on the ones i met i think the kids just need a break its the friggin parents that need some re-education.

Hullo, I was brought up at Burnside, just wondering where exactly your strip is.

Burnside is on the downwind to base turn, many a fine summer spent there picking berries as a kid, in hindsight I reckon i should have stayed picking berries and skipped the London and LA rat race.

I was just thinking i delivered there in an artic 15-16 years ago
if you were delivering for Fyfes,Bardons or latterly Aggregate Industries that's the one

Croqueteer
29th Aug 2013, 07:41
:)Hullo, Piper boy. If you picked berries at Burnside you probably knew my dad, as he ran the berries there. we didn't have berries at Burnside when I was a lad, so my summer hols were spent picking at Foresterseat, which now seems to be a caravan site! Sorry for rambling on off topic.

PS Anyone going to Sywell?

mad_jock
29th Aug 2013, 09:58
More than likely dropping tyres, then through to pick up frozen peas then down to Glasgow to swap with the Shetland dry goods then back up to drop at the ferry.

In some ways my life hasn't changed much becoming a pilot apart from you had to work less hours as a lorry driver.

piperboy84
2nd Sep 2013, 22:28
New mower delivered, my non pilot mate just cut the strip and sent me a pic, he got it like a bowling green literally, he cut it ACROSS and DIAGONALLY the plonker :ugh:

Unusual Attitude
7th Sep 2013, 22:23
Planning on dropping in past tomorrow morning, interested to see what its like!

Regards

UA

piperboy84
8th Sep 2013, 00:38
All should be good, its recently mowed and another ppruner from downsouth who was reading this thread stopped in yesterday in a 182 on his way back from Wick said all was fine with strip and cafe. I am overseas right now making a frigging half assed miserable attempt at my IFR ticket so wont be there. Have fun !!!