PDA

View Full Version : Westwind II

Zeflo27
22nd Aug 2013, 12:23
Hi

Interested to read about anyone's experience operating the Westwind II good or bad.

Many thanks.

g450cpt
22nd Aug 2013, 15:04
Hello Zeflo,

I have several thousand hours operating both the WW and WW2, although that was quite a few years ago. Great airplane just not much to look at. One of the only aircraft that I know of that doesn't have calendar inspections other than the O2 hydro test and the transponder, pitot static test every 24 months. Normal inspections are 200 hrs A check, 400 hrs B, 200 hrs A, then 800 hrs C. Very reliable, lots of range for an entry level jet just a little slow (.72 to .74 normal cruise). It has heated exterior baggage (not pressurized). Where are you going to be based? Get a good prebuy. Trimech in KFTW (Ft. Worth, Texas USA) is probably the best WW MX facility anywhere. If possible have them do the prebuy and the B and C checks when due. PM if you have any specific questions about the airplane. Good luck.

g450cpt

con-pilot
22nd Aug 2013, 16:42
I have quite a bit of time in the Westwind II and somewhat less in the straight Westwind. The II is a little faster than the I and it can climb, on average, one flight level higher at the same weight as the I.

Basically it is an honest straight forward flying aircraft. As g450 posted, as far as maintenance is concerned, just hourly inspection and as far as I know, corrosion has never been a problem with the Westwind aircraft.

To achieve the maximum range you will need the aft baggage fuel tank. Back when I was operating a Westwind II my mechanic (engineer) could install/remove the tank is just a couple of hours. If I remember correctly, the aft baggage tank gave you an extra hour of fuel at LRC (Long Range Cruise) flight profile. West coast to the East Coast could nearly all be made non-stop in the II. Also I flew SFO to Hawaii in the II a few times, but to have a dry foot print, we had to wait for favorable winds. So there were times the passengers had to take the airlines from SFO. Also, East coast to West coast non-stop was possible in the summer most of the time. In the winter, never attempted it as the upper winds are generally too strong.

One thing about the aft baggage fuel tank. From what I've been hearing, the tanks are becoming very rare and hard to find. As far as I have been informed, there are no spare tanks.

One word of caution about extended over water flights. Knowing what I do now, I would not attempt a flight to Hawaii now. Not because of fuel, but because of the landing gear. A good friend left Midway Island heading to Wake Island. About an hour out the right main gear up lock hydraulic line ruptured and the right main gear came out of the gear well, there is no mechanical up lock on the gear, only trapped hydraulic fluid. The drag of the extended right main gear was significant. They were able to turn around and make it back to Midway. He told me that the drag, coupled with the inability to stay at altitude, if they had been more than two hours away from land, they would have forced to ditch.

So keep that in mind.

I've seen Westwind IIs for sale lately for around $400,000.00 USD. So for that price you're getting a pretty good aircraft. The II also has decent high and hot performance.

Oh, please keep in mind that I have not flown/operated a Westwind II since 1984. The Westwind II I flew was serial number 356, we received it new from the factory in January of 1980. At least I think it was in 1980. :\

Ricardo1958
7th Sep 2015, 00:28
Hi., somebody has some experience about Westwind range., Im looking on website and I can see range from 2,300 to 2,900. I´m looking for a Westwind II basicly for the range but its a lots of comments but I wish from somebody who has experience in the aircraft.
Also, its some simulator trainer in US., to perform the certification ?
Thanks
Ricky

con-pilot
7th Sep 2015, 20:58
Unless you have a very strong tailwind, 80-100kts, you will never get 2,900nm out of a Westwind II. 2,300nm is a much more realistic number, if flown according to the long range profile and that is with the aux aft baggage fuel tank installed.

As for training, check with Flight Safety Wilmington, Delaware.

levite
24th Apr 2017, 13:41
Will the WW II land and take off fully loaded on 5000ft safely?

porterjet
25th Apr 2017, 17:23
I have done 6 hours in a WW2 with the tank, but that was at .72 reducing to .70M. Any headwind and you are better off just pumping gas out the back and landing halfway. The 2 will go .76-.77 as long as you don't want to go high.

5000 feet fully loaded? It's been a while but I don't think so especially at any altitude above sea level or warm temperatures.. On the other hand a light WW2 is a pretty good short field airplane. There is a pretty big difference between the 1 and 2 in performance.