PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory

banjodrone
22nd Aug 2013, 11:39
Just a few questions about doing the groundschool. To start the process is there anything in particular I need to do or anyone I need to contact other than purchase an approved study package and apply for the first exams when ready? If my ICAO licence is out of currency does it matter up to the point where I sit the first exams? After that point? Or does it just need to be current for the checkrides? Or has it all changed now and I need to go through an ATO? It would be much more financially viable for me if I could roll on with the studies for the moment and worry about the flying bit when that hurdle has been jumped. I have an ICAO CPL/ME/IR but it's out of currency and things being tight I was wondering if that would be a legal way to do things?

Thanks in advance.

Conan the Vulgarian
22nd Aug 2013, 13:08
You need to do the training through an approved ground school. If you have to do all 14 exams (not sure what you'll have to do with an expired ICAO CPL/IR) there must be 2 weeks of on-site revision and exam preparation before taking the exams, but other than that you can just do it yourself from the manuals.

The requirement to start study is an ICAO PPL, so I'm sure a CPL must cover that same requirement - nowhere in the regs does it say that the license has to be current etc.

paco
22nd Aug 2013, 14:54
As mentioned, you do need to go through an ATO, and you will need to do all 14 exams, with formal training. There are plenty of schools doing a distance learning package, but not all of them have the same time in the classroom as a minimum study time.

Phil

banjodrone
22nd Aug 2013, 18:53
Thanks guys.

So if I read that correctly Phil, I have to be assessed by a full flight training ATO (logbook etc) before I even start the process of the approved groundschool with a distance learning provider, consolidation weeks etc.

Does this then tie me to that particular ATO for the flight training or once I get approval from IAA/CAA then I can carry that over to any provider when I decide to do the flying part?

I'm thinking along the lines of the only ATO's here in Ireland having their own groundschool and insisting I use their material since they're my "assessors", rather than giving me a choice of groundschool such as your own.

Hope that's clear, I ask lots of odd questions lol.

paco
22nd Aug 2013, 20:32
We're not bothered about a logbook (as a distance learning ATO) - all we require is that you have an ICAO PPL. If you go to an integrated training provider they might be for the flying side.

You can mix and match your flying and ground training throughout EASA.

Phil

banjodrone
22nd Aug 2013, 21:06
Ok that clears it up. It's pretty much what I thought but sometimes reading the regs leaves a lot open to interpretation. That just leaves the medical as a first step to be sure I can clear it. Much appreciated :)