PDA

View Full Version : Sao Paulo emergency landing August 2013

XV666
22nd Aug 2013, 10:39
Well, that was close!

Helicopter makes emergency landing in Sao Paulo (http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/805667.shtml#.UhXpHBYhodI)

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2013/08/22/226963b73e75421585abacc6ac4493e3.jpg

http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2013/08/22/b029900a1eba4b7a8b540989bb0e47dd.jpg

People gather next to a helicopter that made an emergency landing in front of the Marginal Tiete, one of the busiest routes in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Aug. 21, 2013. After the landing there was no reported fatalities. (Xinhua/Rahel Patrasso)

Max Contingency
22nd Aug 2013, 10:51
That will polish out. Try T-cut.

Vertical Freedom
22nd Aug 2013, 11:58
Awesome job a great BIG congratulations to the Captain :D

Welcome to the "Successful Autorotative Landing Following Engine Failure Club" :eek:

Land Happy always :)

Soave_Pilot
22nd Aug 2013, 12:15
Good job!! finding and landing on a spot in that brick jungle is not an easy job.

nomorehelosforme
22nd Aug 2013, 12:46
That is a great result, could have been a disaster, might need more than a bit of t-cut for a fix though!

arismount
22nd Aug 2013, 12:55
By comparison, I'll bet that twin engine purchase option doesn't look prohibitively expensive any more.

John R81
22nd Aug 2013, 13:37
Arismount - I am in awe! You can diagnose the cause of an accident from so little information! Authorities around the world can no dispense with costly investigation, and just send you a couple of photos and a link to a journalist's comment.

Engine failure, eh. There was I wondering about fuel, tail rotor, unusual vibration.

Lack of second engine, eh?

Who would have thought it?

Well done you :D:D:D:D

pilot and apprentice
22nd Aug 2013, 13:37
I can't find any indication from the 'article' that it was an engine failure.

Harry O
22nd Aug 2013, 13:48
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Well done to the pilot :D

HeliHenri
22nd Aug 2013, 13:59
Right John R81 and pap :ok:, how can we speak aout engine failure right now ?!

If someone speak Portuguese :

"A IBar, proprietária do helicóptero prefixo PRVIE, informou que a aeronave estava em voo de manutenção e levava apenas o piloto e o mecânico, que não se feriram. A empresa não informou se a aeronave já tinha apresentado problemas anteriormente ou se a manutenção era de rotina."

from :G1 - Helicóptero faz pouso de emergência em SP, dizem bombeiros - notícias em São Paulo (http://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/noticia/2013/08/helicoptero-faz-pouso-de-emergencia-em-sp-dizem-bombeiros.html)

I can already read "maintenance flight" and "one pilot and one engenner on board"

John R81
22nd Aug 2013, 15:08
Or.....

Google is my friend. Still no sign of the cause being 'lack of second engine'. It may turn out to be so, but insufficient information at this time.

It looks like the cab is very intact, despite the evident damage to MR and subsequent stress to MRG, etc. No fire, no cabin disintegration. The benefits of a modern design?

From Google:

A helicopter made ​​an emergency landing on the morning of Wednesday (21), near the Marginal Tietê, in the region of the bridge Casa Verde, in the north of São Paulo (http://g1.globo.com/sp/sao-paulo/cidade/sao-paulo.html) . According to firefighters, no one was injured. The Civil Defense was thrown.

The aircraft sustained damage to the tail and propeller. According to information from Infraero, the aircraft model EC-120 Colibri, manufactured by Helibras, took off at 10:28 and it was anticipated that she would return to the airport.

The IBar, owner of the helicopter prefix PRVIE, reported that the aircraft was in flight maintenance and carry only the pilot and mechanic, who were not hurt. The company did not say if the aircraft had problems previously presented or if the maintenance was routine.

At 11.15, the Traffic Engineering Company (CET) called on motorists to avoid the Marginal Tietê local track near the Green Bridge House, towards Ayrton Senna. At the time, the aircraft was on the lawn in the access handle of the bridge.

nomorehelosforme
22nd Aug 2013, 20:13
Who clarified the machine type?

Anthony Supplebottom
22nd Aug 2013, 21:08
Who clarified the machine type?

Do the images in post #1 not clarify the "machine type"?

AnFI
22nd Aug 2013, 21:23
... even if it was an engine failure it's evidence against twins since the consequences of the rare event were not serious enough to justify the downside of the twin for all the flights where an engine does not fail.

Brian Abraham
23rd Aug 2013, 00:52
... even if it was an engine failure it's evidence against twins since the consequences of the rare event were not serious enough to justify the downside of the twin for all the flights where an engine does not fail.You've obviously never had an engine failure.

If Boeing and Airbus were considering single engine airliners I'm sure you'd be the first to sign up.

OvertHawk
23rd Aug 2013, 07:41
AnFI

"the consequences were not serious enough???!"

Look at the photographs! :ugh: What part of that does not look serious to you?

I suppose you'd have been quite happy for your wife and kids to have been playing in that park at the time or walking along the sidewalk on the other side of the fence?

OH

DOUBLE BOGEY
23rd Aug 2013, 08:04
Hi Brian Abraham. Your reply post above had me laughing for a full ten minutes. Great Ozzie dry humour. Some more please.

DB

Um... lifting...
23rd Aug 2013, 09:26
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/Lifeofbrianfilmposter.jpg/220px-Lifeofbrianfilmposter.jpg

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Sanus
23rd Aug 2013, 10:42
Regardless of the number of engines, why carry out a maintenance test flight over the centre of a crowded city?

Top marks for finding enough space to land it well enough to walk away, not too mention parking it over a drain. Makes draining the fuel tanks so much easier.

Old Age Pilot
23rd Aug 2013, 12:39
... even if it was an engine failure it's evidence against twins since the consequences of the rare event were not serious enough to justify the downside of the twin for all the flights where an engine does not fail.

This is just one scenario. Are you saying that all single engine failures would turn out the same way? Maybe even in the exact same area? Probably not.

Had it of ended up ten feet the wrong side of the wall, and turned out to be engine failure, I'm sure you'd think differently. Unless you just think since they are rare who cares!

Nubian
23rd Aug 2013, 17:26
-Sao Paulo- 11 million give or take without the suburbs which take the number to about the double.
-More than 7000 people pr. square kilometre...
-Airport in the middle, (5th busiest in country) just across the road as pointed out above...
-in excess of 1700 civilian helicopters in Brazil, (unknown amount of twins)

A couple of points to consider... Not everyone can fly twins, and FAR from all crashes/mishaps/emergency landings happen due to the helicopter being a single engine... and yet there are loads of accidents with twins. So why not just drop the discussion until the cause of the emergency landing (yes, emergency landing...) is clear before starting yet another single vs. twin pointless pissingcontest!!:ugh:

AnFI
24th Aug 2013, 17:24
OAP sure it is possible that one freak event like an engine failure might be followed by another, like it leading to a problem (you suggest my wife and children managing to get caught miraculously underneath it). Neither mine nor any others were.
What if this happened and then that happened and then the ambulance had a puncture - well it would be pretty unlucky...
This is just a case of a forced landing leading to no major problem.

OverHawk "What part of that does not look serious to you?"
- I don't see any dead or injured - it looks like bent metal to me.

There have been a steady stream of twins littering the streets of SanPaulo - this is not a reason for twins

If you want to mitigate against engines causing this chain of events you can use a twin engined helicopter which in some cases will save the day - but it comes with other downside risk and payload inefficiency.
The risk needs to be extreme - getting wet is not such a terrible thing - drowning is.
We've got to get some rational thought into this field.

BrianA more than 6 with no power for one reason or another - no problems from them tho! I know your are a died in the wool 'twinist'
Obviously multi-engine is more appropriate for FW since there is more independence of the engine/thrust system ie no common gearboxes etc etc AND in an Airliner the result of a forced landing on an unprepared surface is very much near the fatal end of the spectrum. It is LESS appropriate in helicopters generally. (PC12/TwinComm)

If the consequences of an engine failing in a helicopter are just the inconvenience of having to land then it is definately not worth the additional risks born by the twin.
There has to be a bad consequence (near fatal) of the forced landing for the maths to work for twins.

Anyway no-one is actually interested in getting this subject thought about properly... too much vested interest.