PDA

View Full Version : Ab-Initio Second Officer Jet2

pilotchute
21st Aug 2013, 19:01
The experience prerequisite to apply left me puzzled. I'm sure it states they are looking for "Ab-Initio Second Officer" yet they require you to have an ATPL. Nothing "Ab-Initio" about an ATPL.

EK4457
21st Aug 2013, 19:28
pilotchute;

A valid point but not really that important.

A bit like noticing that a house you want to buy doesn't have matching curtains!

You need an EASA CPL/ME-IR/MCC/JOC/Class1 in order to apply. End of.

How long since a genuine opportunity like this has come along for low hour guys?

Fair play to them. They don't have to give us all a chance. Even if it is remote!

EK.

pilotchute
22nd Aug 2013, 02:56
You need an EASA CPL/ME-IR/MCC/JOC/Class1 in order to apply. End of.

You seem to have missed the point. You need an A-T-P-L for this position.

contacttower118.2
22nd Aug 2013, 06:13
I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean that, whoever wrote the advert probably has a loose understanding of what an ATPL really is.

EK4457
22nd Aug 2013, 08:19
I understand that you need what is unofficially called a frozen (f) ATPL in order to apply.

The wording on the website is technically incorrect but there you go.

Tell them they're wrong at the interview if you like!

Interestingly your licence needs to be UK issued.

A rare bit of positive discrimination towards those who may be UK based?

Leflan
22nd Aug 2013, 10:04
I'm sorry EK4457, but unfortunately, the rare positive discrimination is extended to the EASA for you licences... and I agree for the frozen ATPL

TeaTowel
22nd Aug 2013, 10:05
Need to fund you own type rating, not much of an opportunity for most. If you apply you wont be competing with all the rest on your assessment day just the 1 or 2 with money.

Unless of course it bonded.

contacttower118.2
22nd Aug 2013, 10:38
To be honest you just need to look at the numbers that apply to FR to know that there are plenty of people put there who are prepared to "self fund" the type rating. It goes without saying that there will be loads of applications for this and I would be assumed that if you turn up you have the money...that is how these applications work I guess...

EK4457
22nd Aug 2013, 10:41
Hi Leflan,

The advert clearly states that your EASA Licence needs to be UK issued.

Hi Teatowel,

This is as good as it gets AFAIK. If you have a plan to get an FO position with free type rating let me know your plan!

EK

contacttower118.2
22nd Aug 2013, 11:02
The advert clearly states that your EASA Licence needs to be UK issued.

Well if they can't differentiate between a CPL/IR, MCC +ATPL theory (fATPL) and a full ATPL I'm not sure I'd put much faith in the accuracy of the ad. Anyway it is very easy to convert to another European authority...to only hire UK licence holders would probably be against EU regs.

contacttower118.2
22nd Aug 2013, 11:03
This is as good as it gets AFAIK. If you have a plan to get an FO position with free type rating let me know your plan!

Probably is possible if you are good at networking/get lucky but I agree it is becoming the exception rather than the rule sadly...

olicana
22nd Aug 2013, 11:40
Do jet2 have a preference where the JOC was completed?

contacttower118.2
22nd Aug 2013, 13:22
Yeah I was wondering about the apprentices...I thought Jet2 was going to run that again this autumn. Are they doing this instead?

olicana
22nd Aug 2013, 13:40
I should have added to my earlier post, does it matter how many hours a candidate did in the sim on their JOC.

pilotchute
22nd Aug 2013, 15:52
I'm still betting that you need an ATPL. I doubt that Jet2 would make such a mistake on their pilot hiring webpage. The fact that the apprentices just went through not long ago would back that up.

Time will tell.

G1991
22nd Aug 2013, 16:11
I'm still betting that you need an ATPL. I doubt that Jet2 would make such a mistake on their pilot hiring webpage. The fact that the apprentices just went through not long ago would back that up.

Why would they call a 1500hr pilot (ATPL requirement) an 'ab-initio' yet a 500hr pilot (TR/non-TR FO) a DEC/Non-DEC FO? It's a mistake. It's meant to say fATPL aka CPL/IR. I wouldn't read too much into that. The 'Second Officer' bit "would back that up."

superman_900_1080
22nd Aug 2013, 17:00
What exactly will a 2nd officer do with them?
I realise on long haul that they are like a pilot monitoring or a relief pilot.
But jet2 don't exactly have any long haul flights warranting a relief pilot.

contacttower118.2
22nd Aug 2013, 17:24
It is clearly a mistake...caused by the creation of the term 'Frozen' ATPL as a shorthand for CPL/IR, MCC and ATPL theory and the subsequent frequent yet incorrect interchangeable use of fATPL and ATPL.

As the post above says I don't think Jet2 in their right mind would on the one hand advertise non-TR 737 FOs requiring only 500hrs and right next to it SOs requiring 1500hrs.

Darth_Bovine
22nd Aug 2013, 19:16
Maybe those stating that an ATPL is required are trying to reduce the competition for themselves. Perhaps that's not such a bad idea, I've heard that there's no point applying unless you've got and ATPL, 10,000hrs TT and military test pilot experience!!!!!!!!

NASA astronauts with minimum 100 days in orbit is what I heard. :)

TeaTowel
22nd Aug 2013, 19:46
Its simple really, call the position an SO and pay them half what they pay the FOs.

I hope the recent apprentices make the guys literally passing them out by paying as unwelcome as possible too.

This is the clearest example of two equally qualified pilot candidates both on paper and in person.......one has money the other doesn't, guess which one started pushing paper and which started flying the line?

pilotchute
23rd Aug 2013, 01:48
Read between the lines.

ATPL would mean you need 500 hours multi crew? Well you can get that on a beat up old J31 or a Metroliner. You don't need a JOC to fly one of those so a JOC is asked for. MCC? I'm not sure about that one.

So what the ad is asking for in a roundabout sort of way is someone with 500 hours multi crew (not specifically a jet) and a JOC. That doesn't sound like an entry level job.

Qatar Airways "Second Officer" still required 2000 hours I think but no jet time so maybe its similar?

Fast forward 10 minutes.

I have just done the unthinkable and emailed Jet2 for clarification of the minimum requirements for the Second Officer position. Hopefully I get an answer this year.

Regarding what TT said I think he is right. It will be massively over subscribed with Jet experienced people applying. Lots of people leave the UK to chase the "Big shiny jet" but when they finally get it, a lot just want to go home. This becomes evident when 330, 777, 737 etc Capt's and FO's are applying for entry level positions at many airlines in the UK. What hope does even a 2000 hour guy with 1000 hours 320/737 have when someone from the Middle East with double or triple that experience applies for the same job. Many of them have narrow/widebody command.

Yorkshire_Pudding
23rd Aug 2013, 05:32
I think you're mistaken pilot-chute. They already have adverts out for non type rated B737 FO's requiring min 500 hrs commercial aircraft experience (prop or jet) for the experienced folk out there.

Ab-initio is exactly that. Fresh out of flying school with 200 hours and no airline experience.

It's a fairly well known fact that they are in the process of setting up their own sim facilities and TRTO to ultimately do type ratings in house.

The requirement to have a UK issue EASA license/medical to apply is not unique to this advertised role. I believe airline instructors/examiners with a UK license can only sign other UK issued EASA licenses under the new rules.

clunk1001
23rd Aug 2013, 07:16
maybe the job ad was written by one of the apprentices a bit bitter at seeing ab-initios going past them

Nice one Magicmick!
:ok:

Dan the weegie
23rd Aug 2013, 07:41
Well you can get that on a beat up old J31 or a Metroliner.

And you would be far better equipped for Captaincy with that than 500 hours on a 737NG :).

And PC, you're just wrong but you wont listen. You'd be brilliant in the flight deck! :eek:

pilotchute
23rd Aug 2013, 08:36
Dan,

I am probably wrong but there is slight chance I could be on the money. Nothing wrong with a little healthy scepticism!

I just find it curious that everyone else here is positive that it must be a mistake. I would think that a company such as Jet2 would be a little more pro active in vetting a job advert before it went online.

But as stated I did email them for a clarification and I will let everyone know the outcome. I am standing by with humble pie.

olicana
23rd Aug 2013, 09:47
Never mind all this talk of eating humble pie which is just making me feel hungry. Does no one have any idea of the JOC requirements. Jet2 are proving difficult to get hold of to get an answer.

Planefan2981
23rd Aug 2013, 10:28
I did my JOC course (AQC) with CTC on the Boeing 737-300, which I am hoping will be acceptable criteria.

DumpingTheRat
23rd Aug 2013, 10:50
The advert was 99% positively written by some no mark in HR in exactly the same way that as of late J2 have had a very HR biased recruitment procedure . HR is like most companies , so far removed from the jobs for which they are involved in recruiting people for that they wont have a clue regarding fatpl/atpl etc . The compass test tells you this , they have recently turned down pilots with thousands of hours flying 73 cos they didn't do to well on compass test .This is what you are dealing with .
ATPL is not what is required it a Cpl/ir pure and simple , remember there is no such thing as a fatpl , as stated above it is just an accepted use of shorthand for the Cpl/ir

Dan the weegie
23rd Aug 2013, 11:36
Stuff like compass tests is just about whittling down the enormous numbers to a manageable size, it shouldn't be the deciding factor. I have no idea of course in Jet2 but it's a useful tool in understanding someones mental agility but fairly crap in demonstrating that the person is easy to get along with and has the right work ethic, which ought to be a deciding factor.

You can train nice people to be decent pilots, you cannot train arr-soles to be nice :).

contacttower118.2
23rd Aug 2013, 13:03
I thought Jet2 had ditched COMPASS or is it still used for 'ab-initio' applicants?

benish
24th Aug 2013, 07:38
I'm the same Jimmy.

Some of those maths q's in the compass tests are damn right hard! I also struggle with those timed tests where you work out how 3D shapes have changed, spatial reasoning I think!

I'm very likeable though, interview very well (I'm told) and Ill know ill work my arse off and have a great sim ride!

Planefan2981
25th Aug 2013, 07:54
Are there many guys/girls here who have also applied to Jet2 as Non TR FO? For a frozen ATPL holder, I feel I have a much better chance as an ab-initio...its working out the finances which is most complicating! Good revision for any compass tests :rolleyes:

Mikehotel152
25th Aug 2013, 09:01
I just took a peek at the Compass Test sample questions on the www. Why some of the questions are of the slightest relevance to aviation I'll never know. Yet another reason why pilot recruitment should be tailored to the needs of a line pilot rather than entry to an A-Level maths course. :ugh:

As for the debate over fATPL vs ATPL: come on people, it's so obviously a typo that the HR departments must be sighing loudly and bashing their heads against the office wall.

And with regards the UK-issued licence requirement, Jet2 have taken loads of FR pilots recently, all of which had Irish licences. It's not an issue. Within JAA-land (or is it called EASA-land now?) conversion is just a matter of paperwork. My UK-issued CPL/MEIR was converted to IAA when I joined FR and subsequently BA certainly didn't mind that I applied to them with an Irish licence. Relax.

jimmyjetplane
25th Aug 2013, 13:30
Mike Hotel...

How many have they taken?If there are all these type rated 500+ hour around then why would Jet 2 need to create a self sponsored 2nd Officer type rating scheme?

I was and others I am sure, rather hoping they are short of people!!

jimmyjetplane
25th Aug 2013, 13:35
Anyone know how soon the will be contacting suitable candidates to attend the selection process please?

Planefan2981
25th Aug 2013, 13:49
Jimmy,

If people still havent found out the result of the Non type selection, I think this one could also be another month to six weeks maybe?:ugh:

flying apprentice
25th Aug 2013, 14:42
am i being blind? I cannot see an application closure date.

jimmyjetplane
25th Aug 2013, 14:54
flying apprentice....

Why does that matter.If you are interested you should have already applied! This doesn't come along too often.Just drop everything and fill out the form!!

flying apprentice
25th Aug 2013, 15:00
i'd love to drop everything and get on the application, but I work shifts so when I'm next home, the first thing I'll do is go over my log book, get my CV updated, and cover letter sent.

The reason I asked, is to check if it will still be available then.

Planefan2981
25th Aug 2013, 16:14
Jimmy I still haven't heard back from Jet2 for the Non type rated 737 first officer application, which I applied for at the beginning of July, so I'm guessing this ab-initio process could take the same amount of time?

What do you reckon?

LVL_CHG
25th Aug 2013, 21:56
I just took a peek at the Compass Test sample questions on the www.

Does any have any links to suitable websites with compass test examples?

benish
26th Aug 2013, 10:48
Flying apprentice, I had the same 'approach' when the apprentice positions came about. By the time I found a bit of time to sit down and put together a decent revised cover/cv and the like, the job had gone.

Do not waste your time! The application only asks for cv and cover and then the usual equal opportunities / right to work stuff and that's it. It's not as in depth as the FO application or the Ryanair one. It'll take you a matter of minutes!

Artie Fufkin
26th Aug 2013, 18:41
flying apprentice,

benish is absolutely on the money here. I currently fall into the "experienced captain" recruitment category and am happy with the job I am in, with no plans to move on. However, my current CV and covering letter are regularly updated and my logbook is current moments after I shut my engines down. All are uploaded to a Dropbox file, just in case I have remote need of them.

Just in case.

This is an absolutely ruthless industry, and if you take a "I'll sort it out when I can" attitude, you will be usurped by more motivated and organised individuals more suited to playing the recruitment game.

clunk1001
27th Aug 2013, 13:08
The application only asks for cv and cover and then the usual equal opportunities / right to work stuff and that's it

:confused:

Anyone else think it's a little odd not to have any aviation related questions in the initial application? Just a CV and Cover letter?

It means someone has to read every single cover letter and cv (of which I assume there will be hundreds) to match whatever criteria they're looking for.

Taking key information (e.g total hours, P1 hours in the past 6 months etc) at the initial application stage would seem to be the norm and allow filtering of candidates down to a manageable number of applications to review, without having to read every single CV.

Would you rather read 700 CVs only to find 650 havent kept current, or just go straight to the 50 who have actually kept current based on the hours they entered on the application?

Seems odd.....

Golf--Lima--Papa
27th Aug 2013, 14:06
Or they will invite the 700 to complete the Compass Tests and they'll be left with around 10 hotshots who can actually do well in these tests...

benish
27th Aug 2013, 22:57
It'll be the same as the direct entry Aer Lingus job. Everyone one be invited to take the tests... I guess

Planefan2981
28th Aug 2013, 11:51
I found this interesting read online today: from Jet Flight Training....

With the boom in low cost air travel, many airlines have changed the way that they train and recruit new Pilots.
In an effort to cut costs many airlines are no longer prepared to train low hours less experienced pilots on their Jet aircraft. Many airlines now deem pilots at this level as a ‘Training Risk’ this is because pilots with low hours or new starters have no previous training history other than that of their respective FTO’s.
This creates a Catch 22 situation as one needs a way to gain that vital experience which in turn will enable them to prove themselves to the airlines.
Completing a Self Sponsored Type Rating (SSTR) is one way to prove to the airlines that you have what it takes to fly a medium or heavy jet.

It really does seem that if you are a fresh NTR cadet with around 250 hours TT that this is the only way to get into the cockpit. Shame really!

talktomegoose
28th Aug 2013, 12:26
Erm thanks for posting Planefan2981 but...

(A) This doesn't really have anything to do with this thread (ab initio recruitment specifically for for non-TR pilots)

(B) Your 'online read' has clearly been written by Jet Flight Training, who are TR training providers and is complete nonsense. It's just transparent sales talk trying to tempt you to do a self-funded type rating.

I have NEVER heard any professional recruiting captains call new pilots a 'training risk'. What better testmonial can you get other than a training report from your FTO stating that you successfully complete your CPL ME IR???

Head of EJ recruitment HAS openly said they will turn away any self-funded type rating if it comes with anything less than 500 hours on type. Try telling that to 'Jet Flight Training' and see what cr@p they come up with next.

Stick to the thread please.

Darth_Bovine
29th Aug 2013, 13:37
Anyone have issue with the following question not "remembering" your input:

*Do you have the right to work in the country where this role is based?

When I go back the radio button I selected is no longer selected. Is this a browser issue, or is everyone seeing this?

Phenom100
29th Aug 2013, 21:04
I applied to for the first officer position approx 6 weeks ago and had a reply saying l could expect a call to arrange a phone interview within 4 weeks. But heard nothing as yet.

Has anyone had the same and had the call yet? Ive checked on line and my application status says open.

P40Warhawk
29th Aug 2013, 21:30
Wow. Does it take so long? 6 weeks. Well hmm. Then I have to wait also. I also Applied for this job. Will see what will happen. Would like to work there :D .

jimmyjetplane
2nd Sep 2013, 11:50
Jet 2 2nd Officer portal has now closed today folks!!

Good luck to all who applied in time.

Planefan2981
2nd Sep 2013, 12:39
It wasnt open for long. Must have had enough applications!

jimmyjetplane
2nd Sep 2013, 12:47
Planefan

I think your right! At least no more can be added!!Imagine everyone with a F/ATPL low hours has applied!! So I don't know what criteria they are looking for?!

Mr-P
2nd Sep 2013, 13:00
I'm sure there were way more than expected. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were more than 3000 applicants.

The next stage will be interesting though that's for sure. How do you go through that many CV's? As the application process was so simple I can only assume it will be an online test much like Aer Lingus as that would be easiest filter to eliminate ~2900 of those. This then leaves ~100 or so for CV checking and then choosing around ~50 for interview.

I wonder how many positions there are for cadets, 20 or so??? :confused:

goaroundnow
6th Sep 2013, 14:39
Less than 8 but more than 2

Mr-P
6th Sep 2013, 15:10
Wow as few as that. I understand that jet2 will be looking for quite a few pilots for next year so that must be good news for all the experienced FO's out there looking to progress right?

flying apprentice
8th Sep 2013, 12:35
Goaroundnow

You state 'more than 8 but less than 2'...I'm not maths expert that would be any number 9+ or any number less than 2 :) If only it was the former !!

flying apprentice
8th Sep 2013, 16:10
Goaroundnow

You state 'less than 8 but less than 2'...

Is this information factual and reliable please?Hard to believe Jet 2 would create an avenue of training for just (possibly only 3-7) Pilots!

Unless this is fact I would respectfully suggest you don't post it, as it just demoralises many of us looking for a job! So after 2 edits from jimmyjetplane, they're now only recruiting 1.

I think with that level of attention to detail I won't be the one needing luck in the compass tests !

goaroundnow
8th Sep 2013, 19:51
Sorry, I was not meaning to be demoralising but, alas, it is factual.

schweizer2
10th Sep 2013, 17:55
my status just changed to under review

clvf88
10th Sep 2013, 19:08
Similarly here. How has everyone else fared? I applied for the FO position at Jet2 also and it never changed beyond 'App Received' before getting the rejection email so fingers crossed this is a positive thing.

schweizer2
10th Sep 2013, 20:03
It could just be a way they filter their applications and they either go from processing directly to rejected or to review where it gets a 2nd opinion.

Or just luck of the draw! who knows.

Mr-P
10th Sep 2013, 20:30
schweizer2 & clvf88

Hi folks, are you able to expand at all such as when did you apply, are you local to their bases and perhaps experience?

I would imagine it is on a first come first served basis for checking your application but wondered if perhaps there was a little more.

schweizer2
10th Sep 2013, 20:35
Hello Mr-P,

For your questions:

-In the UK but do not currently live within the area of one of their bases, I would say within a 1h30min drive.

- No previous airline experience, just few bonus hours in general aviation which helped increase my PIC time although not in a twin.

I don't think they would base their recruitment on a first come first serve, It would be crazy for them to leave out an application because they applied 5 minutes before they closed the job advert when they could easily hit the jackpot with that applicant.

clvf88
10th Sep 2013, 20:42
Exactly the same as the above Mr P. I wouldn't imagine you have anything to worry about at this stage, its early doors indeed and just wild speculation on our part.

cgwhitemonk11
11th Sep 2013, 07:24
Just wondering how people plan to pay for the TR if they are successful? I certainly don't have 20K sitting in the bank... Is a bank likely to give a loan if you had an offer of employment? :ugh:

flying apprentice
11th Sep 2013, 07:31
Still showing application received here.

At least its not showing unsuccessful.

Planefan2981
11th Sep 2013, 09:19
Changed to 'under review' yesterday. Also applied to the FO position and like someone said on page before, my application never changed from 'received' before getting a PFO...so hoping they are taking this one more seriously.

I live 35 mins away from a base!

jimmyjetplane
11th Sep 2013, 09:41
Planefan2981

Hi friend,

Would you mind stating your experience for us please?I know we have chatted before and I think you went for both entry levels?Did you have the rejection for the F O non type rated, but are you still waiting on the 2nd Officer ab-initio

Planefan2981
11th Sep 2013, 09:49
Hi Jimmy,

I applied for the NTR FO, ive got just over 250 hours so thought why not its worth a shot...but as predicted got rejected, so applied for the 2nd officer position with more of a chance.

I did my JOC course with CTC aviation down in Bournemouth on the 737-300 after completing a university degree.

Have you got a JOC and if so, where did you do yours?

P40Warhawk
11th Sep 2013, 10:39
Really that JOC. Another way to get extra money in the pocket. Anyone an idea where you can do a JOC in a short time. Not like most offer , 3-8 weeks, for only few hours sim and few days ground school.

jimmyjetplane
11th Sep 2013, 10:47
P40 warhawk

I 'THINK' JET FLIGHT TRAINING do it in 7 days (well its only 20 hours so)...

It's in the 737-300 so perfect.

schweizer2
11th Sep 2013, 10:47
I highly recommend European in Bournemouth.

Think MCC + JOC = 2 weeks. 1 week ground 1 week sim.

P40Warhawk
11th Sep 2013, 10:55
Thnx Jimmy and Schweizer. I will check those indeed.

Is this EPTA Still excisting? Can not find the link to their page :( . Because what you say is very interesting. Much better then what others offer. 8 freakin weeks for a JOC :( .

Any other suggestions, for a fair price? Not the 8k in CTC. With all due respect, but that is to much.

immelmann87
11th Sep 2013, 11:11
Just wondering how people plan to pay for the TR if they are successful? I certainly don't have 20K sitting in the bank... Is a bank likely to give a loan if you had an offer of employment? :ugh:

A good question of cgwhitemonk11, does anybody know if Jet2 is supporting loans for successful people, or they just wish to see the money regardless of its source? ;)

btw, my application is also "under review" from yesterday and I don't have a JOC in my papers, so I guess that chances for me are a little bit lowered

Good luck to all

Swept
11th Sep 2013, 11:26
I would recommend European in Bournemouth as well, experienced guys and great instructors.

Groundloop
11th Sep 2013, 11:32
Are European still running courses at BOH after their purchase by Cardiff Aviation?

Last time I was there (early June) the 737-200 and 747-200 sims were being dismantled. The only sims operational were the 747-400 and the S-61.

olicana
11th Sep 2013, 17:57
That is an interesting question cgwhitemonk11 (http://www.pprune.org/members/353552-cgwhitemonk11). I wondered if it was an obstacle for many people applying/joining.

I'm lucky that it is sat there in the bank. Probably one of the few times age counts for you in that I've had an opportunity to save up.

Planefan2981
12th Sep 2013, 07:08
Quick question guys,

How important do you think the result of a compass test could be to determine whether you will get through selection. You could be the perfect candidate and screw up a little on these.

Thanks ;)

flying apprentice
12th Sep 2013, 07:28
Is anyone else in 'application received' status or will i once again be in application limbo as I was with the pilot apprentice position.

I know I was a little late getting the application in so hoping its first come first served. Those folk under review, when did you submit your applications ?

And anybody know what 'job status date' is ? That's showing a different date to application status date? Being pessimistic, seeing that says sept 5th and my application status hasnt changed, I'm thinking they've looked at others and decided to leave mine alone for now.

Also anybody else notice that their job status date for the pilot apprentice is showing well after their PFO email ? Mine shows July 2013 even though I got PFO in march !

P40Warhawk
12th Sep 2013, 07:37
So hopefully someone could clear up if European is still excisting ? Because I can not find an working page, bacause the total time of that JOC training is quiet ok. Though Id rather pay a bit of my training costs from that money.

Thanks folkes ;) .

flying apprentice
12th Sep 2013, 08:11
looking at their website the other day, looks like european are doing everything on their 744 sim.

Have you called them ?

P40Warhawk
12th Sep 2013, 09:03
It is pretty hard to call them, If I can't find their site :D . Anyone a link? Thank you ;) .

schweizer2
12th Sep 2013, 09:12
European Group - Welcome (http://www.euroav.com/index.php)

P40Warhawk
12th Sep 2013, 09:34
Thank you ;) .

Very Reasonable price also . I have already MCC, so might only need JOC.

P40Warhawk
12th Sep 2013, 11:21
Thanks again for the Hint Mick ;) . But everyone is pretty enthousiastic about European. So will see. I am not gonna spend money just on something without a reason. I'd rather fly for fun a bit more on actual airplane. But If I get seriously considered or when I will apply for more positions in UK, then I can do JOC.

_ShIfTy_
12th Sep 2013, 11:22
The min for Jet2 was a 16 hour JOC.

ford cortina
13th Sep 2013, 10:19
3 hours flying a 747-400 sim.....
I don't wish to know the merits of that, but you really will be struggling with that.
If you want to fly a 737, you would be better off doing a JOC course on the 737, there are providers out there who use the sims at Gatwick (Gecat/Oxford), Heathrow(BA's Cranebank), these are the same type you will use in your career, they will help you in your first type rating.
Is the cost worth it? thats up to you.
best of luck.

P40Warhawk
13th Sep 2013, 11:11
I agree with that. An 747 is more complicated maybe. But does anyone know the actual time you will fly in this JOC course of European? Or is it really only 3 hourse, because then it is totally useless of course, since Jet2 wants to see atleast 16 hours.

P40Warhawk
13th Sep 2013, 13:41
Then the price is not so interesting anymore. I thought it will be around 20 hours. I found the price already low.

Anyone else any suggestions for JOC course? For reasonable price and between 16 and 20 hours? No need for Full motion I guess?

ford cortina
13th Sep 2013, 16:57
if you really want to do a Joc, you really need to do it in a Level D sim. This means Full motion. Fixed base will not give you enough insite. This is not a type rating, it is intended to help you understand how a jet aircraft behaves. You cannot do that on a fixed base.

I speak only as a experienced 737 FO.
Good luck

ford cortina
13th Sep 2013, 17:00
P40warhawk, a 747 is actually not as complicated as a 737. But it has a steeper learning curve.
I have had some fun in a 747 sim, but it is a bit more of a handful

P40Warhawk
13th Sep 2013, 20:01
I understand. Thanks for explaining. I really appreciate that. We are here to advise eachother I guess, so every little bit of help and advise is welcome. We are all in the same situation. Or we want something better, or we are searching for our first job in the cockpit.

But is really one huge mistery where to go then, because 1 hour full motion is around 400 euro. That times 20 is 8K. Then Some ground School. Expensive business. Well maybe devided by 2 because you are sitting in cockpit with someone else. So lets Say 5K.
So If anyone could put some links down. Its really some rimbu in the matter. I don't need MCC. Have that already.

Planefan2981
16th Sep 2013, 13:23
Anyone lucky enough to receive a call or email yet?

Planefan2981
16th Sep 2013, 14:13
Also does anyone know any good websites where you can practise compass tests free?

appfo09
16th Sep 2013, 19:05
Nothing is free nowadays my fellow ! If you want to buy some really useful material try google Skytest. I bought it, did practice with it in the past and i am very happy that I bought it because any other pilot selection that would arise hopefully in the near future i can use it.

Planefan2981
17th Sep 2013, 04:17
Thanks very much! :ok:

Mr-P
17th Sep 2013, 12:58
Hey has anyone heard anything at all yet, how about you folks where your application status changed from received to 'under review'...?

Has anyone else had their status changed recently?

P40Warhawk
17th Sep 2013, 14:52
Still Application Received :( . I don't expect anything anymore. Will see.

jimmyjetplane
17th Sep 2013, 17:26
I am not sure if they will be even looking at these yet.They were interviewing for the direct entry positions last week I am reliably informed.

biggles34
17th Sep 2013, 19:49
You are not alone, with no change to your application status, I guess no news is good news :)

P40Warhawk
18th Sep 2013, 07:53
Haha. That would be nice yes. Haha. That good old saying. No new is good news ;) . I love that one. We will see whats next.

The Dead Side
18th Sep 2013, 19:30
I received the PFO e-mail a couple of days ago - not entirely sure what that was based on as very little information was given out in the online application, if I remember rightly.

schweizer2
18th Sep 2013, 19:37
Did you go directly to PFO or was your application changed to under review before hand?

jimmyjetplane
20th Sep 2013, 10:16
Schweiser 2.....

Which position did you go for and what is your experience please?

Many thanks.

schweizer2
20th Sep 2013, 10:40
Applied for the Ab-Initio Second Officer.

I have just over 400 hours total time now.

jimmyjetplane
20th Sep 2013, 10:47
THE DEAD SIDE...

Thank you for sharing that and I am sorry you didn't have the chance this time.What is your flying experience so far please?

Never give up!

I think things are improving throughout the industry.You only need your first break to get your foot on the ladder!As the experienced Jet pilots move up to emirates and the like, it surely creates even more jobs lower down.As the Jet jobs are taken pilots will be leaving gaps in the regionals....

I check ppjn daily now and see lots of positive signs on recruitment.

Link here: Pilot Jobs Network - Recruitment news for airline pilots (http://www.ppjn.com)

Best of luck to you.

P40Warhawk
20th Sep 2013, 11:08
For me it is still very quiet. Still application received. Remain patient :D .

Is there already atleast one who has received an invitation?

schweizer2
20th Sep 2013, 11:08
I haven't been rejected yet!

I think you wanted to ask that to "The Dead Side"

jimmyjetplane
20th Sep 2013, 11:28
SORRY Schweiser2 !!!

I meant the post to THE DEAD SIDE!!

Have corrected the post now.

Good luck!!

benish
21st Sep 2013, 16:23
It is to my understanding that Jet2 have now approached and seen candidates they have selected for the SO position.

Mr-P
21st Sep 2013, 20:58
That would not surprise me at all, a few years ago they advertised for cadet FO's with a detailed application form and then simply did a deal with Oxford and took their cadets without interviewing anyone else. Perhaps they have done it again here.

Captain2b
22nd Sep 2013, 21:27
My application status still sits at received....I take it others are the same ??

Jwscud
23rd Sep 2013, 09:24
Magicmick - two from my flight school (S coast modular) went to Jet2 back in 2011 so I would have thought the OAA deal, unless concluded since then, is a goner.

Planefan2981
24th Sep 2013, 06:11
benish

I too have heard that applicants were interviewed last week...:*

B737900er
24th Sep 2013, 16:12
My friend has just been told the 5 positions have been fulfilled, expect PFO letters in the next day or so.

B737900er
24th Sep 2013, 18:56
Ive heard their experience is OAA.

LVL_CHG
24th Sep 2013, 20:00
I know of one that has passed interview and has sim session within a week.

olicana
24th Sep 2013, 21:07
Did your friend have to do compass testing etc?

Planefan2981
25th Sep 2013, 03:13
Compass test, one on one interview last week, and apparently sim testing next week...so he says

clunk1001
25th Sep 2013, 10:04
The application only asks for cv and cover and then the usual equal opportunities / right to work stuff and that's it

Anyone else think it's a little odd not to have any aviation related questions in the initial application?

Well I guess that answers the question posed at the start of this thread.

Good luck OAA grads. :ok:

Bad luck everyone else. :}

jimmyjetplane
25th Sep 2013, 11:38
I too am Oxford grad! But that was 10 years ago.I did go get myself instructor rating though, after following their great careers advice and now have 1,000 hours of teaching 'other' wanabees to fly.2000 hours total by now.Will I be called I wonder?!

clunk1001
25th Sep 2013, 12:20
Sounds to me like they already had the candidates for this role lined up before they even advertised it.

Not an uncommon practice - the Job advertisement gets published so the company are seen to follow normal recruitment practices and procedures.

Planefan2981
25th Sep 2013, 12:29
Im not sure they had applicants lined up before they advertised, more an idea of which attributes and training records suitable candidates covered; hence why the selection has taken place so quickly. Not everyone who was successful trained with OAA :}

schweizer2
27th Sep 2013, 12:57
Well my status has just changed to "Application Unsuccessful"

bummer :ugh:

luc753
27th Sep 2013, 15:04
Hello. How did you do to check the status on the website of Jet2. I have searched on the website but i didn't found. Thanks in advance

immelmann87
27th Sep 2013, 15:23
Go to Jet2 careers website, login and click "Application Status".

luc753
27th Sep 2013, 20:04
Thanks. I have found. Not working for me. Good luck for who are stil in the race..

cessna310
28th Sep 2013, 08:42
Got email saying unsuccessful !!!!!!
After having all the requirement with just above 1500 hrs and also close to base. Don't know what else I need to be consider.

Good luck to you guys

Regards,

flying apprentice
28th Sep 2013, 16:50
I don't have anywhere near 1500hrs nor live close to a base yet mine still says 'application received' and no PFO email.

Not getting my hopes us, as when they were recruiting for pilot apprentices everyone was getting PFOs but I didn't get mine 'til much later.

I think Jet2 like teasing me !!!

Wodka
28th Sep 2013, 18:14
Even Columbo would be baffled with this

plikee
28th Sep 2013, 23:24
flying apprentice you're in the same position as me. Last time they took long to send my PFO e-mail and for this position, I've got application received so far. let's see what the future has to give us !

OhNoCB
29th Sep 2013, 17:21
App received here too. NTR, <1000 hours with multi crew experience but not on jets.

P40Warhawk
30th Sep 2013, 13:45
SO unsuccesful, but First Officer still application received.

Have no hope anymore on Jet2.
Would be nice if I would get a chance, but you should be realistic.

flying apprentice
30th Sep 2013, 17:00
Plikee, I'm not holding out any hopes. Sounds like they've already got who they want and we've been left in limbo.

Just weird how some people get PFOs whilst others haven't. I think they might just have rubbish recruitment/application management software.

castlethorpe
30th Sep 2013, 18:19
I have been called for an assessment. I am not familiar with Compass tests. Are they multiple choice, basic maths?
I'm interested to hear from anyone that has sat them.

Planefan2981
30th Sep 2013, 20:51
Castlethorpe are you sure it's for the ab-initio programme. I have also heard that this position has been filled?

Skymaniac
11th Oct 2013, 20:08
Hi guys,

I've just heard Jet2 has carried out some interviews in Alicante few days ago. I'm sorry not to bring you more info, but that's all I've been told.

Does anyone know how many people are they hiring? Or where they are going to be based? Is that for its Alicante's base or any of its UK's?

So long.

Planefan2981
12th Oct 2013, 13:29
jet2 apparently only need around 5-6 positions for second officer...and it was to my knowledge that the interviews and sim checks have already taken place?

pudoc
12th Oct 2013, 14:35
and it was to my knowledge that the interviews and sim checks have already taken place?

Yeah they have. Whether there will be more interviews, I don't know.

benish
14th Oct 2013, 00:05
SO positions filled, and apprentice positions are at sim check stage having carried out interviews 10 days ago. Apprentice hopefuls were picked from those who applied for and short listed for the SO jobs. 6 positions going.

FO and captain interviews still ongoing.

flying apprentice
14th Oct 2013, 10:43
So my PFO email should be along shortly then.

They really need to update their recruitment software !

OhNoCB
14th Oct 2013, 13:53
I am just waiting until I get an official reaction from Jet2. Whether that is a change in application status, and email, a phone call, a letter I don't mind but I will wait for that.

The problem with having an anonymous forum in this instance is that each person with an update could very well be the one in charge of recruitment at Jet2, it could also very well be a bored 14 year old looking to cause a bit of confusion.

wardbjuk
14th Oct 2013, 17:32
I have heard information directly from Jet2 HR which is exactly inline with what Benish stated.
All the 2O positions were filled by OAA cadets, and PA places filled from applications for 2O.
Oh well. Onwards and upwards!

benish
15th Oct 2013, 12:30
I know because I was interviewed myself for the apprentice position on Weds 2nd in Glasgow along with 13 others. 6 positions in total going. The group consisted of I think 5 local to base Mod students (me included), 1 from FTE, and the rest from Oxford.
In total over 2000 applied for the SO jobs.

On that day the 'afternoon group' weren't able to complete the Compass tests due to technical issues so we were sent home. Although it was said a decision wouldnt be made untill everyone had the chance to come in and do the tests, I recieved my PFO/please apply next year email a few days later.
Hard to comprehend, especially when I was promised the chance to do the tests.

jimmyjetplane
15th Oct 2013, 14:00
Benish....

Apprentice position?

When was this advertised then.Don't remember ever seeing this....

packo1848
15th Oct 2013, 14:05
JJP

The apprentice candidates were selected from the SO applicants, no separate vacancy was advertised.

Mr-P
15th Oct 2013, 14:45
Hey jjp this has happened before and was described earlier in this thread. From the last time around I didn't receive any news and my profile was simply deleted. I think the same happened to many others.

I think with a different database system this time around we were all hoping it might be different but alas no.

packo1848
15th Oct 2013, 14:52
JJP, I wouldn't read too much into your application status, just checked mine and it reads application received when I know for certain it has been looked at.

jimmyjetplane
15th Oct 2013, 14:56
Packo 1848.....

How do you know that ?

Bealzebub
15th Oct 2013, 15:02
Jimmy,

Do you realize that you should leave a gap after a full stop, comma, or any punctuation mark. All of your posts seem to start the next sentence immediately after any punctuation mark. This makes them quite difficult to read.

The reason I mention this, is because if you are presenting this way on an application, it is unlikely to be considered at all. As you point out, companies have a great many applications to filter, and those that are poorly or carelessly written are invariably discounted at an early stage.

This isn't to pick on you particularly, as it seems to be an increasingly common practice. Internet forums are the last place you would go to search out examples of grammatical excellence, but there do seem to be a number of people who are unaware of how self defeating this sort of thing can be when it appears on their employment applications, as it quite regularly does.

packo1848
15th Oct 2013, 15:14
JJP, I was fortunate enough to be called for assessment/compass testing. There were a lot of people at the interviews (for all entry levels), I can only assume they are so busy with this stage of things that online application status's are the least of their worries right now.

RVR800
15th Oct 2013, 15:58
Often should be written as often because it's not a name, note the small case letter at the start of the word. :)

Mr-P
15th Oct 2013, 17:11
@packo1848

Hey that's interesting and well done, any news for you? Do you have anything to do with OAA? Were you integrated or modular, any info you can share?

Cheers

castlethorpe
15th Oct 2013, 17:25
Any idea how many pilot apprentice candidates have been taken through for sim testing? I am wondering if they have enough to fill the 6 places going or if they will have to re advertise.

benish
15th Oct 2013, 17:42
At the assessment they said they have a need for 180 pilots over the next few years as they expand the fleet to 70 a/c.

All's not lost, everyone keep their eyes pealed!

packo1848
16th Oct 2013, 11:50
Mr-P, no news yet, but hey no news is good news...right? :}

I'm a modular student, JOC at OAA though.

Skymaniac
16th Oct 2013, 14:50
70 aircaft?

Wow! That's a huge bet. Are they really bringing as much airplanes as they say? Or is it just another foolish gossip? I hope the market finally improves and more new companies arise.

Where did you guys send your CVs? Is there any specific address or just through its web page?

Planefan2981
16th Oct 2013, 20:08
I have passed all assessments for the second officer position which is in fact a Jr first officer position. Waiting to see what the outcome is.

Artie Fufkin
16th Oct 2013, 20:19
Skymaniac, 70 aircraft is not foolish gossip. That's the "current" expansion plan. Will probably get there by summer 2015 or 2016.

Jet2's entire existence has so far been expansion, so it'll be interesting to see what they have planned once the fleet reaches 70.

Mr-P
16th Oct 2013, 23:22
@Planefan2981
I have passed all assessments for the second officer position which is in fact a Jr first officer position. Waiting to see what the outcome is.

Well done! Can you elaborate on your training, are you integrated from OAA?

Thanks packo1848 so you do have a connection to OAA just not all your training.

Planefan2981
17th Oct 2013, 08:57
No I am not OAA, id rather not put too much on here but if you are already working for the company it's a massive plus. So I would suggest to people try and get a job with an airline at any level (dispatch, ground ops etc). It has hopefully worked for me!

castlethorpe
18th Oct 2013, 13:59
Any updates as to where Jet2 are at recruitment wise? Who are they putting through the sim at the moment?

Skymaniac
18th Oct 2013, 15:42
Yep!

I am glad that quantity finally become true in the next few years. I just meant that I hope this works and the aviation that we love continues to improve, I really feel like it.

Nice flights to everyone:ok:

OhNoCB
16th Nov 2013, 16:11
Hi,

Thank you for your application for the Second Officer position. The advertised vacancy has now been filled and will shortly be removed from our website. Please do keep checking our careers site for any new opportunities which could be of interest.

Kind Regards

The Jet2.com Recruitment Team

castlethorpe
16th Nov 2013, 16:43
Sorry to read your PFO.

I see on the Jet2 website that they have just put out an advert for pilot apprentices. They have specified that candidates must have completed a 16 hour JOC. At least that clears up any ambiguity.

I heard the JOC requirement caused lots of problems last time but in the end they were happy to have people who had completed a JOC with less hours. I wonder why they have changed their mind.

maxed-out
16th Nov 2013, 18:01
Same PFO here.

500tt. Some turbine.

G-GOLF
16th Nov 2013, 19:05
Just received the same PFO, as expected. Low hours no TR.

At least the Pilot Apprentice has reopened, another shot at that!