PDA

View Full Version : JAR Class 1 Initial

Ben-Stoke
21st Aug 2013, 15:21
I've got a Class 1 medical booked in for 1345 hours and I wanted to know how long it will take to complete the medical?

Thanks

mad_jock
21st Aug 2013, 16:20
You can be pretty certain that everyone will be out the door by 5.

Mine took 3 hours and that was in the days of the flashy light brain thing with the attractive irish nurse. You don't get that any more and that took 40 mins to do.

Ben-Stoke
21st Aug 2013, 18:38
That's good then, I've heard from other people that there's a possibility that you could be there 6 hours.
Also, when I was about 10, I had a corneal laceration as when I was at swimming I accidentally let go of my goggles when cleaning them, however my eyesight has changed after this incident and I wanted to know whether this could infringe on me getting my medical?

Thanks

mad_jock
21st Aug 2013, 19:09
I could well be if you have something up. I don`t have a clue about any of the eye sight stuff

Ben-Stoke
21st Aug 2013, 20:05
Sorry, I wasn't meant to say that my eyesight HASN'T changed.

mad_jock
22nd Aug 2013, 11:49
I say again I am a pilot not a medic I don't have a clue if it effects you.

I have scaring on my eyes from welding and getting arc eye and it wasn't even mentioned when they examined me.

There is guidance on the CAA medical site on what is or isn't allowed. BUt until you go for the initial you wont know. Its not uncommon for people to go there worrying about one thing then fail on something completely different which they didn't have a clue about they were affected by it.

Don't worry about it just go and see what they say. They are actually pretty nice in the medical section its really not something to get scared or wound up by. If your good they will give you a medical if there are problems they will sit you down and tell you about the options. If you fail there really isn't anything you can do about it.

Ben-Stoke
23rd Aug 2013, 11:31
What does the running test at the medical consist of (what do I have to do)?

mad_jock
23rd Aug 2013, 12:07
Someone is pulling your plonker.

Ben-Stoke
23rd Aug 2013, 12:47
Haha, just had the confirmation letter and it says bring suitable footwear incase you need to perform a running test •_•

mad_jock
23rd Aug 2013, 13:10
There is a small possibility that you might have to do a stress ecg but its not running.

Its walking at a brisk pace on a treadmill. for 5-10mins.

The running up and down the stairs and the finger up your arse are pretty common windups to younger class 1 applicants by those that have been before.

GusHoneybun
23rd Aug 2013, 19:00
Not true MJ.

One my initial, they told me to run round the building 5 times so they could check my PeV function afterwards. I only managed twice before the paramedics were called. :\

mad_jock
23rd Aug 2013, 23:43
Thats cause your a shortarse and from the west country.

Every one thinks its funny seeing a dwarf with a funny accent running.

MaximumPete
24th Aug 2013, 09:00
Tell them about your eye when you get there and they may test that first so that you know where you stand for the rest of the examination.

MP

Radgirl
24th Aug 2013, 09:21
With all respect I think this is the worst thing you can do. You MUST declare, but simply put it on the form and go through the medical. The cost is the same!!

If you roll up saying 'I've got this problem and think you might fail me. Please look at it first' it merely augments the issue in the mind of the doctor. If a doctor is doing loads of tests and the patient seems young and fit and is passing all of them, he gets into a mindset of 'this guy is OK to pass'. He then gets to the issue test and is more likely to be lenient. Many eyesight tests are able to be 'borderline'.

If you start with a problem the doctor will drill down and most likely apply no leeway. He will then do the other tests, or pass you to another doctor, with the mindset of 'here is a possible failure'.

This isnt anything but normal behaviour. If you get in an aircraft with five defects, you spend the entire flight wondering when the engine is going to stop. If everything is technically perfect, and the engine stops, it is a big surprise and you may initially not believe it....

Although not an AME, if your vision is now OK I doubt an earlier abrasion will be an issue.

Ben-Stoke
30th Aug 2013, 15:25
What clothing should I wear and what do other people wear for the medical?

It's my initial so don't have a clue of what to expect.

mad_jock
30th Aug 2013, 15:46
What ever you like that's comfy.

Clean socks/pants wouldn't go amiss.

They get you into a socks pants and a gown pretty much straight after you come through the door.

howard500
2nd Feb 2014, 15:30
Can the initial EASA Class 1 medical be done in the US? I've read conflicting reports online....

Also, if I understand this correctly the British CAA is the one that issues an EASA medical which is then accepted throughout the EU?

Thanks!

Ulster
2nd Feb 2014, 16:04
Can the initial EASA Class 1 medical be done in the US?

The answer to that is "no". Initial issues of class 1 EASA certificates by the UK authority can only be carried out in three places :

https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1859&pagetype=90&pageid=527

A UK issued EASA certificate should be acceptable throughout Europe. :ok:

howard500
2nd Feb 2014, 16:35
Thought so! Thanks very much.