PDA

View Full Version : Non-Flying jobs...best to omit flying experince?

micro_burst
20th Aug 2013, 11:56
Whilst applying for flying positions I am also on the lookout for non-flying jobs within the airline industry (operations, maintenance etc...). Does anyone know if it is best to include or leave out qualifications (eg. CPL MEIR) and flying experience to date?

On the one hand it shows knowledge and interest in the industry, but on the other shows that I am ultimately aiming for a flying job and may not be fully committed to the job.

Thanks

benish
20th Aug 2013, 13:19
This is an issue I always think about too!

Yeh on the one hand its great, it shows you have something about yourself, your clever, and you achieve what a lot of others can't. But then on the other hand they may fear you'll walk.

I've been going for all types of jobs recently. One was to work for a company in the motor industry. I didn't mention holding an fATPL, just that I have a PPL in case they think I'll walk out for a high paid job. I worked in a crap job part time throughout my training, which I took around 3 years doing, and now when asked at interview's why I want this career change they all seem to think I'd be better staying where I am and working my way up. Thats opposed to letting them know it was only a 'stop-gap' job and that I'm highly skilled and fairly clever as I hold an commercial license!

Catch 22!

TeaTowel
20th Aug 2013, 14:11
I have 2 CV's, one tailored for the airlines, highlighting my hours and other relevant stuff and another for non-aviation jobs which has a more simple description of flying and goes into more detail regarding my previous jobs.

FANS
20th Aug 2013, 14:59
If it's for an airline/industry job, put it down as it's the truth and shows interest. Also explains what you've been doing for months.

If unrelated, I'd try to steer clear - if possible!

Bloated Stomach
20th Aug 2013, 15:54
I thought I'd share my 2 pennies worth -

After completing my CPL/IR, I decided to go back into my previous working sector until I was placed by my school.

I was moderately experienced in my previous work so I thought it would be best to inform my next employer what I had been up to in my 2 year gap. Boy was that a silly thing to do....

These were the actual words from the interviewer -

" See Mr Bloated Stomach, we have no doubt that you are an articulate young man, however please do see our view. When we recruit, there are risks we would take. The first one is that the individual is unable to satisfactorily pass his probation due to any circumstance and the second is that the individual is very high calibre and decides to leave the business within the year. I'm sorry Mr Bloated Stomach, you are a no-win situation"

At this point I decided to lie on my CV, not inform my next employer what I was qualified in and work with a dark secret.

Sometimes, truth never pays.

FANS
20th Aug 2013, 16:14
I think that's a fair comment from an employer, but if you've got a two year gap on your CV, it's tricky to hide. Spent time travelling around Oxford, then Arizona, then back to Oxford!

Parson
21st Aug 2013, 13:41
All CVs should be tailored to the job you are applying for. Even flight crew positions should be aimed at that particular operator. If you aren't able to do that, you probably haven't done enough research into your potential employer.

If you think having a f/ATPL is a hindrance then just say you hold a pilots licence. If I had told my previous employer that I had a frozen ATPL, he would probably have suggested seeing a doctor.