PDA

View Full Version : Caen (LFRK) and Colmar (LFGA) and Ostend (EBOS)

proudprivate
20th Aug 2013, 10:01
... three fantastic destinations to fly to, or a long week-end round trip from the UK.

1. Caen has two runways (23 and 31), costs 5 EUR to land and park. Then grab a taxi (18 EUR) to visit the War Memorial (18 EUR), which an excellent and gripping presentation of WW II, from its origins after WW I and the collapse of the German economy to the liberation. Displays on the Sino-Japanese war, the resistance movement, collaboration and the persecution of Jews.
When arriving VFR, you can stay on the radio and chat with Deauville approach while overflying the landing beaches, point de Hoc and (although I didn't) the American War Cemitary.
Plenty of good places to eat and stay, although you can also do a day trip out of the UK, Belgium or the Netherlands. Instrument approach and departure available.

2. Colmar (Houssen) is somewhat hidden behind hilltops but has a very nice and long runway 19. A taxi into town (20 EUR) lets you visit the Museum Unterlinden, which holds the famous "Issenheim Altarpiece", a true gem for those interested in 16th century painting. The symbolism is quite striking. I didn't know this, but apparently virgins are always painted surrounded by a pallisade or walls, as if somehow inferring that if they weren't, they would soon cease to be virgins.
In town, the borough "Little Venice" is very nice and shows beautiful Alsacian city architecture. Again, plenty of places to eat and sleep.
Instrument Approach is available and the landing fee is 10 EUR.

3. Ostend (Mariakerke) is about 600m from the beach. The runway 26 can handle 747s. Landing fee is around 20 EUR but they also charge around 5 EUR per departing passenger. Take a towel with you and lie down in the sun.
Car rental is available, or Bus 5 brings you to the City Centre. The Leopold Park contains the "flower clock" with about 20,000 plants and flowers in it. Being in the city centre gives you the extra option for a 20 minute train ride into Bruges.
Both Ostend and Bruges have a gazillion places to stay and some of the restaurants are very good.