PDA

View Full Version : 18 AUG 66.....Long Tan, Vietnam

SASless
18th Aug 2013, 13:41
For all of you who do not know what happened that rainy day....I suggest you read up on the gallantry and sacrifice our Australians experienced in a pitched battle against overwhelming enemy forces at a place known as Long Tan.

There are recordings of radio transmissions and several documentaries about the battle. There exists a monument to the Soldiers who fought there at the spot the battle took place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4

Paul C
18th Aug 2013, 14:01
Thanks for posting SASless

SASless
18th Aug 2013, 15:05
When your "Enemy" honors your Courage that is the ultimate compliment.

http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/vietnam/images/cross02.jpg

Vietnam - The Long Tan Cross (http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/vietnam/ltcross.html)

500N
18th Aug 2013, 16:51
SaSless

Thanks for posting.

It was Vietnam day all over Oz today with lots of services etc

500N
18th Aug 2013, 17:06
I have seen a video where some Aussie vets met a few of the Commanders
of D445 and they talked through the battle. Respect was clearly evident
on both sides.

It was a close run action and thanks to a few RAAF Officers
who disobeyed orders to fly and deliver ammo plus some
smart thinking of how to get it to the troops on the ground.

SaSless
PM sent.

Ascend Charlie
19th Aug 2013, 03:58
One of the B model Hueys involved is now perched on a stick outside the Caloundra RSL, looking good. At the dedication ceremony were 3 of the 4 pilots involved, and the boss with many of the army group on the ground at the time.

Great service.

500N
19th Aug 2013, 05:04
A Huey, a Medevac one is perched on a stick outside the Dandenong RSL.
It's been there years.

Here it is
"The memorial's centre piece is a UH1H "Huey" helicopter, which was donated by the US Army and which the
Dandenong RSL paid $120,000 to ship over."

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/06/05/2409597/ipad-art-wide-545735648-420x0.jpg

500N
19th Aug 2013, 06:05
Thanks for that, bad mistake to make !!!

When I was typing it, I had to think, Army or RAAF,
remembered the change occurred after Vietnam then
made that mistake :(

Buster Hyman
19th Aug 2013, 08:16
Always buy a badge for the Vietnam Vets. My uncle was with the AATTV during the war.

onetrack
19th Aug 2013, 08:48
A mate is one of the 1st APC lads who drove an M113 into the firefight. He still starts to shake anytime you ask him anything about the experience.
Anyone who has been in combat knows that's it's nothing like the movies - the dust, the smoke, the tracers, the flying lead, the explosions, all leave one in a stupor as to what is actually going on, and what to do next.
In addition, the skies opened in a torrent that only SVN can do, in the late afternoon of the battle. Talk about getting everything thrown at you at once.

One must never forget that all the Aussie grunts, not just the Long Tan heroes, effectively won the war in Phuoc Tuy province, due to their skills and effective patrolling.
I recall reading an interview many years ago, with a surviving NVA D445 Battalion officer - and he let on that the Aussies were such an effective force, that they decimated D445 to a total strength of just THREE men, by 1971.

500N
19th Aug 2013, 08:53
A signal was picked up in that AO that effectively said
to stay out of it because the Aussies were so good at
patrolling and taking the fight to them.

At one time the unit 2IC I was in was one of the Phantoms over there
and he didn't say much but by Christ when he did it was very to the point.

TBM-Legend
19th Aug 2013, 09:17
The remarkable H for Harry Smith was the Company commander. Excellent fellow and still fighting to right some wrongs for his boys.

exMudmover
19th Aug 2013, 09:51
The Battle of Long Tan

Excellent book by Lex MacAulay

gr4techie
19th Aug 2013, 18:41
Thank you for posting a link to the video Sasless, its a well made documentary, maybe the best made I've came across.
I quite like military history and its good to learn about the experiences of ANZACS in Vietnam, something I didn't know about until now.

gr4techie
19th Aug 2013, 18:44
Thank you for posting a link to the video Sasless, its a well made documentary and maybe the best documentary I've watched.
I quite like military history and its good to learn about the experiences of ANZACS in Vietnam, something I didn't know about until now as I've never seen it well publicised or talked about.