PDA

View Full Version : JUNE 2002 DEADLINE FOR UK LICENCES

Captain Spud
30th Jan 2002, 23:31
Any body in the same/similar boat as me.

I have all the UK ATPL exams passed inc Perf A but now are faced with a do or die situation.

I have to decide whether it is really sensible given the current climate to throw arround £10K (Iam elligable for unapproved courses) at the CPL/Twin-IR course - or just bin the lot and get on with the rest of my life - outside aviation. To cap it all I am 39 so not exactly destined for the big time anyway.

If I do move forward and "go for it" I would expect to have to join the back of the Q for a job - has anyone practical advice on the real time & cost of keeping a twin IR current.

Also another option I am considering is just doing the CPL course before the end of June and waiting until things pick up before undertaking the expense of the Twin /IR - anybody know if this is a practical way forward.

Finally has any body recentley done an un-approved CPL /Twin-IR course , how long did it take? what were the costs?

CS

chrishowley
31st Jan 2002, 22:39
I suggest the first decision you have to make is whether to stop or continue and then once you have made that decision you can decide on the best way forward.

Ultimately I think the decision is how much you want it. Or to put it another way which decision do you think you will regret more looking back in a few years' time -

1. Not having given it a go and being unhappy in your alternative career path.. .2. Have spent 10k and not having it work out for you?

For myself I moved to the US 2 years ago for an opportunity which I knew would be risky but which I thought I would regret not trying. It hasn't worked out and I am now looking to get back to Yorkshire - but I don't regret it because I had to give it a go at the time.

Hope this helps

ET

RVR800
1st Feb 2002, 13:40
CS check your e-mail

ILS27R
1st Feb 2002, 13:50
Captain Spud

I don't understand the national system- before my time but couldn't you do a single IR. It would be loads cheaper.

Polar_stereographic
1st Feb 2002, 13:56
CS,

How long ago did you take the exams? My understanding is that's the limiting factor, not the June 2002 date. I stand to be corrected mind you, and the Belgrano reserves the right to move the goal posts too.

PS

RVR800
1st Feb 2002, 16:27
Polar

If you did National then the end date is fixed at June 30 2002 regardless.

If its JAA ATPLs its 36 m

Polar_stereographic
1st Feb 2002, 16:56
RVR800,

I see where you are comming from. I presume that until June 2002 you can still get a CPL issued.

For myself, I know I cannot meet the ATPL hour requirements. I'm currently sitting on a National CPL/IR, so for me this does not apply.

It just means that when I meet the hour requirement (150 to go, inc 70 night), I will have to get a JAA ATPL (plus 500 hrs multi crew).

But as always, the goal posts can move back as well as forward.

PS

RVR800
1st Feb 2002, 18:00
Polar . .You have a fATPL valid for JAA ATPL upgrade. .with the 500 h multi-crew later on after 6/02 . .Have you revalidated your IR yet?

Polar_stereographic
1st Feb 2002, 18:15
RVR800,

Yes I have - did it last week. So, now my ATPL credits will hold for another 7 years.

Regards

PS

[ 01 February 2002: Message edited by: Polar_stereographic ]</p>

covec
2nd Feb 2002, 00:26
Captain Spud

I am 40. I completed the IR last year, converting my UK BCPL into a JAR CPL. I have also got the frozen UK ATPL with Perf A.

I intend to use Tayflite Aviation's FNPTII sim for IR renewals - alot cheaper than flying twins!

I will only renew the twin rating when its really needed.

Got a UK CPL or a JAR CPL? The latter can be done via 5 hrs differences training. If you already have the CPL then "all" you have to get is the IR tout suite!

dopeyhead
2nd Feb 2002, 03:20
i cant be sure, but i think that you can get a single ir which will allow you to hold atpl's, this will save a serious amount of money and even if your single ir lapses you still hold your atpl's for a further few years untill you renew your ir again so you should not have to do the exams again, so go for it

WangEye
4th Feb 2002, 01:01
Captain Spud

Try contacting Nick Davies at The Flight Centre, Wolverhampton Business Airport, 01384 221366.

My son got excellent service there (AFI course in ten days), they have a good set up, know their stuff re:licensing etc. and don't charge the earth.

(I have no other connection with them)

WangEye.

Touchdown
4th Feb 2002, 13:32
Can any one answer this for me,

I am on the national system, about to start the non-approved IR before I convert to JAR. Have completed all the national exams although I didn't complete Perf A (just did Perf E)

This means I have to complete the JAR Performance Exam - Does this have to be done before June 2002 for a JAR CPL Issue or can I use the Perf E for now?

RVR800
4th Feb 2002, 14:03
Touchdown...

You can do the JAR Perf Exam at any time. .there is no deadline

If you need verification

Try [email protected]

Touchdown
4th Feb 2002, 15:45
Thanks RVR, one less thing to worry about for now!!

Captain Spud
6th Feb 2002, 00:05
ET - I feel that I ought to finish and I want to finish, I just need to be realistic thats why Iam looking for alternative ways forward.

p.s whats stopping you coming back to Gods own county?

ILS 27R - You can do a single IR and it might be a way of gaining the FATPL on the cheap(er!) - Any one done this?

. .P.S. The rolling 7 year ATPL validity - does that mean that if you don't need the IR for anything else you only have to rennew it every 7 years in order to keep your ATPL credits valid?

You renewed your IR last week, what was involved and what did it cost?. .

Thanks for all the other replys, If I can obtain and maintain the FATPL at reasonable cost whilst things pick up I will go for it.

. .CS

Polar_stereographic
6th Feb 2002, 01:30
CS,

That is indeed the case. It's a rolling seven years too.

If you renew an IR within five years of expiry, I should allow about 2K to renew it.

If you go beyond the five years as I did, you need to pay another visit to CAAFU, training as required. I recon this will cost you between 6K and 16K depending on how it goes. Each test will cost areound 1200 pounds a shot (test fees 600, plus two hours a/c hire and approach fees)

HTH

PS

Skyjob
6th Feb 2002, 01:50
Have a look at the CAA SRG website, and look for General Information Document 7, or GID 7 in fight deck licencing section. This will explain the different cases and provide you with guidance to what to do.

chrishowley
6th Feb 2002, 17:27
CS don't give up.

And I'll be back just as soon as I get a job over there!