PDA

View Full Version : Can Hellfire missiles be mounted over skids?

RadicalDisconnect
17th Aug 2013, 01:06
I'm wondering why the old AH-1s, up to the AH-1W, don't carry any kind of guided weapons like the TOW or Hellfire in the inner pylon. Is it the lack of space? I also noticed that on the AH-1Z, the stub wings are enlarged substantially, to the point that a 4 pack of Hellfires on the inner pylon is clear of the landing skids. This makes me a bit curious; do they not mount Hellfires over skids?

Harry the Hun
17th Aug 2013, 07:30
Does't sound to clever to block the seeker-head-window, or portions of it, with skids, does it? That might be the reason.

JohnDixson
17th Aug 2013, 13:10
RD, do a Google search re Tow Missiles at Kontum.

Bravo73
17th Aug 2013, 15:15
RD, do a Google search re Tow Missiles at Kontum.

http://www.vhpa.org/stories/UH-1BTOW.pdf

LRP
18th Aug 2013, 00:08
The TOW and HELLFIRE missiles require an articulating pylon for the missile to move into pre launch constraints. On the AH-1Q and S the outboard pylon from the G model was replaced with a hydraulically articulated (#2 SYS) pylon. These are the only stations that can be used by the TML. I have not flown the AH-1T or W but I believe the wing is configured the same way (modified from the J model).

DSquadron
19th Aug 2013, 15:05
What He said!.;)

skiddriver
4th Sep 2013, 16:00
The inboard hard points on the AH-1W eject at an angle outward to clear the skids and therefore carry the stores at an outward angle. An HML mounted on an inboard rack would have been tilted outboard and cause a physical interference with the outboard 4-shot TML or HML and so the helicopter wasn't cleared to carry Hellfires on the inboard points and the system wasn't wired to control PGMs on the inboard stations. You can only carry FFARs and other dumb munitions on those stations.

If you had to jettison the inboard station the system logic would dump the outboard station first, so you had to remember to try and use your PGMs first and save the FFARs for later.

Additionally, with full Hellfire loads on the outboard mounts and 600-650 rounds of 20MM in the can the AH-1W was almost at max dry mission weight anyway. You had to download 2.75" on the inboard stations to be able to get a reasonable amount of mission fuel onboard.

The AH-1Z moves the stations outboard so that inboard racks don't overhang the skids and the racks hang straight down, and the aircraft can lift more (higher MGW and bigger engines) - so it is set up for Hellfire across the board.