PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up...I infringed!

d192049d
16th Aug 2013, 13:53
Just a few words to highlight my recent ****up for the benefit of others.

I recently cut the NW corner of the EGBB CTA whilst flying over Lichfield...I was legal until I decided to climb a few miles too early and bust the floor by 200 feet or so. Did not know until I landed back and had the "please call the watch controller message". I immediately did so and apologised profusely but what did I learn?

Always know where you are...no really know where you are!
Think before you act...can I climb here...can I turn here?
At least be on the same QNH...I wasn't ...use the ATIS if flying the vicinity of controlled airspace
Be on the correct frequency...I was not...I should have made the effort to call...be identified...and shared my plans
Finally if you do screw up and you know it...fess up preferably via RT...or at the very least via phone as soon as practicable

Safe flying

Jonty
16th Aug 2013, 14:18
You made a mistake, your human. You did the right thing on landing.

The whole episode has probably made you a better pilot.

DavidWoodward
16th Aug 2013, 14:23
I've been there before. Started a descent, got distracted and levelled off and went about a mile into the zone 200ft too high. Soon realised my mistake and got rid of 400ft as quickly as I could. Didn't receive any messages but phoned the watch manager on the ground and apologised. They were fine about it but could have caused a few problems. Now I always make sure I'm speaking to someone or using a listening squawk if available.

soaringhigh650
16th Aug 2013, 14:36
That's why you should always call to transition the airspace several miles from the boundary.

If denied stay very clear laterally or go over the top if possible.

http://scottsasha.com/aviation/airspace/MHTsectional.jpg

Lagentium
16th Aug 2013, 15:25
Thanks for sharing, very honest! Had a bit of a moment the other day, didn't bust anything but I slowly looked to the gentleman on my right hand side and the silence was the loudest thing I've ever heard. En route LFAT to Cambridge and routing around the Stansted Zone under the London TMA for the first time, had the appropriate listening squawk displayed and monitoring the correct freq, but heard the radar controller vectoring an aircraft away due to an unknown contact in the area, it was at that point my blood ran cold, even though I knew we were ok, I still had that few seconds cross checking everything with my partner in crime and we decided it was some other aircraft. I'm sure you won't make the same mistake again my friend.

Cheers, Jim:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Aug 2013, 16:03
I write the max altitude for each leg on my plog (you could write it on the chart; I don't know what you'd do if using only a fondleslab). That doesn't mean I don't go above that level, but it does mean that if I'm thinking of going above it I first check carefully where I am.

And yes I have bust airspace whilst being too high, but not since I started using this system.

piperboy84
16th Aug 2013, 17:26
had the appropriate listening squawk displayed

What does that mean?

Armchairflyer
16th Aug 2013, 17:27
Just out of interest, are the borders of CAS really as potentially "trespassers-will-be-shot-immediately" in practice as these posts make it sound? Not to downplay airspace infringements in any way, but minor infringements as those described (100-200 ft too high and barely "on the wrong side") have happened to me at least twice so far(*) and a short reminder on the R/T (followed by conscience-stricken and immediate compliance of course) was all there was to it.

(*) With a potential third one recently, but either I was those 1-2 miles farther away or the self-correction was immediate enough for no one to notice and/or take any action; at least there was no R/T call by FIS (with who I am always in contact when leaving the aerodrome vicinity, not being so would indeed make me a lot more apprehensive of any potential infringement).

007helicopter
16th Aug 2013, 17:37
I don't know what you'd do if using only a fondleslab).

Maybe use Sky Demon that would show you the vertical limits, airspace and exactly where you are.

Glamdring
16th Aug 2013, 19:53
Just out of interest, are the borders of CAS really as potentially "trespassers-will-be-shot-immediately" in practice as these posts make it sound? Not to downplay airspace infringements in any way, but minor infringements as those described (100-200 ft too high and barely "on the wrong side") have happened to me at least twice so far(*) and a short reminder on the R/T (followed by conscience-stricken and immediate compliance of course) was all there was to it.

Depends entirely on the traffic situation and the controller on duty.

If it's quiet and you infringe by 200', if you happen to be lucky enough to have an understanding controller on the other end of the RT then you may get away with a polite warning.

If on the other hand, you infringe by 200' and we happen to be vectoring IFR traffic over the top of you, 1000' above the base, then after the avoiding action has been given, the witch hunt (aka tracing action) will begin.

Either way we are required, as controllers, to report all CAS infringements no matter how small.

Armchairflyer
16th Aug 2013, 20:03
That probably played a role in those infringements of mine having no major consequences (besides all controllers and FIS staff involved obviously not out for a witch hunt): I was never even halfway close to any incoming traffic and never a "stranger" to ATC. Maybe the regulations on pursuing and reporting all infringements no matter how small and inconsequential are different in our neck of the woods, too.

Glamdring
16th Aug 2013, 20:07
The thing that you must remember when you feel that a controller is being overly-harsh is that it your licence to fly that you are risking, but it is our licence to work, earn and stay out of a court room that is at risk :ok:

Primarily we "witch hunt" to educate, not to chastise :)

Armchairflyer
16th Aug 2013, 20:22
Hope I didn't give the impression of ever having been treated "too harshly" by a controller (or in my case FIS guy/gal). Quite the reverse, always felt and feel well "looked after", and during one of the abovementioned mishaps, the approach controller apparently even phoned my local aerodrome (correctly guessing by my transponder code and position) and made them tell me on the R/T to please descend somewhat or buzz off. So definitely no "chastising witch-hunt"-mentality.

While we're at it: what are the potential consequences of such "minor" CAS infringements (beyond apologising on the R/T or by phone afterwards)?

Lagentium
16th Aug 2013, 21:07
Sorry Piperboy, I should have explained a bit further, I meant transponding 0013, which will hopefully have been displayed on the radar controllers station.

dublinpilot
16th Aug 2013, 21:33
Hi d192049d,

Don't beat yourself up too much about it. There are those that have and those that will. Learn from it, and you'll hopefully never to it again.

Were you using a GPS of any sort? I take it not, or you'd have gotten a warning.

If not, you should have a look here
UK AirspaceAVOID (http://www.pocketfms.com/AirspaceAVOID/indexUKAA.asp)

This, NATS approved, free app which runs on iPhone/iPad & Android would have given you a warning before you entered controlled airspace, giving you the opportunity to avoid the bust.

dp

piperboy84
16th Aug 2013, 22:20
Jim
Sorry Piperboy, I should have explained a bit further, I meant transponding 0013, which will hopefully have been displayed on the radar controllers station

Why is it called a listening squawk?, does that mean you were not assigned that code but is a zone/CAS specific code that lets them know you are listening to them even though you are not receiving a service?

Update: sorry ignore my post, I just googled it, had never heard of this before, thanks

stevelup
17th Aug 2013, 08:30
Are you based in the UK?

Warped Factor
17th Aug 2013, 10:23

As an example, when landing on easterlies, the Heathrow arrival stream operates down to 500ft above the base of controlled airspace to the west of the London Zone.

So if someone pops up to 2,700ft in error just to the west of White Waltham, where the base is 2,500ft, they may find an A380 300ft above them.

Not recommended.

dont overfil
17th Aug 2013, 10:32
Are you based in the UK?

There are currently no listening squawks in Scotland.

D.O.

mad_jock
17th Aug 2013, 11:06
piper.

Some areas of the UK they have a squawk which means that it says you are listening to a certain frequency.

You just dial the freq in and the code and then don't say anything on it. If anyone wants to talk to you they get the controller on that frequency to identify you and then give you instructions/information to sort things out.

As you normally don't do anything but listen its called a listening squawk.

We have a better thing in Scotland Scottish info which not only you can listen to but you can speak to as well. And hear the chirpy tones of OUR friends in Prestwick.

Lagentium
17th Aug 2013, 11:35
MJ I've never flown in Scotland, but its on my list, I hope your friends will be willing to talk to me too, I realise I could have just put 7000 in and carried on but was once told it doesn't do controllers any favours just heading towards their zone without them knowing your intentions, so if they see the appropriate squawk they know you have a reasonable amount of situational awareness and should be on frequency, incase I do anything daft, I've been given traffic info also, but I don't think that's what the system was designed for.

mad_jock
17th Aug 2013, 13:14
You will have no problems with Scottish info and for that matter crossing clearances for any controlled airspace. Scottish info don't have the same loading as London and the people working the service some might say are slightly mad (well one of them certainly) this leads them to give quite a personal service which goes a long way to making people want to talk to them.

Keep 7000 and mode C on anyway there is a growing number of aircraft fitted with various anti-collision system which require it to work.

Its more than likely not required the traffic info but personally I think its a good compromise and keeps busy frequency's clear and gives you someone to instantly speak to if you have any problems.

I hope you enjoy your trip up north when you get round to it. Be warned though once you have been up once you will go again.

airpolice
17th Aug 2013, 13:47
D.O Today:
There are currently no listening squawks in Scotland.

D.O.

fisbangwallop on 17th August 2011:
I understand Glasgow plan to bring out an SSR monitoring code in the not too distant future for traffic not requiring any form of ATC service and flying close to their airspace.

Two years on and no sign of it. Got any news for us?

mary meagher
17th Aug 2013, 13:58
Way back in 1983 I made my first gliding flight at Wycombe. Which is slap bang against and under the Heathrow zone. It was the instructor who had to carry the can did we infringe, until I went solo 3 months later.

The following spring, made my Silver 50 kilomter distance flights, carefully plotting my proposed track on the half mil, and steering by motorways, railways, quarries, towns, racetracks, etc. Using farmer's stubble fires (since outlawed) to find lift. Then the usual excursion round Bicester/Didcot, using that last wammo thermal over the power station chimney. Smelled terrible, but climb rate was phenomenal.

Since then done a fair amount of flying in gliding competition, to say nothing of flying the tug, retrieving gliders from other airfields, etc. No magenta magic lines to follow, no computer kindly reminding us to stay below the base of the airway. Those were the days! I did get in trouble once for drifting over Marlow, noticed by the observer patrolling the airspace limits before the start. Maximum points deducted. And in the Interservices Regional, a freefalling parachute instructor not far from Hullavingdon was close enough to read my number! Lost ALL my points, and got told off in front of the entire congregation.

Now all is recorded on the dataloggers. I do not understand the mysterious ways of navigating by computer, and as I now have to fly with a safety pilot who bears all responsibility, don't have to worry about it either! These days, if a competitor is caught with a 50 foot excursion flagged up on the logger, there follows penalties, points deducted, tea and biscuits with the director, and if it happens too flagrantly dismissed altogether from the competition.