PDA

View Full Version : crashworthiness

Ultralights
16th Aug 2013, 13:23
you have to admire Jabiru for the pretty much indestructible airframes.

not many aircraft can cut through a tree that thick and hold up pretty much intact.

ASN Aircraft accident 16-AUG-2013 Jabiru J230-D 24-5353 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=158322)

VH-XXX
16th Aug 2013, 13:37
That will fly again, which is good. I've seen worse damage to a Jabiru that has been repaired successfully and quite quickly too.

Dexta
16th Aug 2013, 23:35
Jabs certainly are strong, but when ours was repaired it gained around 20 odd kilo's, empty weight went from 362 to 384, which makes a major dent in the useful load.

Perspective
17th Aug 2013, 02:49
XXX,
It could fly again, but Should it fly again,
Not knowing exactly what damage the airframe
Has sustained, maybe prudent to retire this particular
Aircraft. It has done its job well, in maintaining a
Survivable outcome, but other than probable weight gain
As is usual with such composite repairs, not sure you can be
Sure there isn't unseen damage that will cause a problem down the
Track!

VH-XXX
17th Aug 2013, 11:27
The factory and others like Cliff Banks would have that flying in no time. The factory simply puts them back in the mould to repair them, easy peasy.

There are plenty of aircraft both composite and otherwise that have survived far worse than this crash and are flying again.

We had one that flew straight into the side of a shipping container at 50 knots. The only injury was a cut finger from the windscreen on disembarking. Another mate dropped full flap accidentally in a go around, the entire front of the aircraft literally fell off, including the firewall; she is back up and running again.

Perspective
17th Aug 2013, 11:39
I have been involved in rebuilds where the only original part of
The plane is the Data plate, my point being, you can rebuild anything,
But is it worth it, as you say, they put the Aircraft back in the mould and presto,
But could you whip up a new fuselage/wing just as quick?
There's no right or wrong, I just think its better with that particular type
Of aircraft, after Flying (gliding) into the scrub, to replace rather than repair.
I know the aircraft with which you refer, (shipping container V plane), a saying
Comes to mind, Planes only fly straight when they are Bent!
Cheers.

anothertwit
19th Aug 2013, 07:43
That'll buff right out! :hmm:

come on, someone had to say it! :O