PDA

View Full Version : Twin Otter, Finlet, Floats

Ze_Veteran
16th Aug 2013, 09:00
Can somebody explain (in very simple language) why a Twin Otter (the 400 series being built by Viking) would need Finlets when it has floats attached?

Cheers,

Matt

Owain Glyndwr
16th Aug 2013, 09:07
Weathercock stability

sycamore
16th Aug 2013, 11:09
As noted by OG, floats reduce the directional stability on most aircraft,so ventral fins are usually fitted on single-engined aircraft,finlets are usually fitted on tailplanes of multis to also assist with the asymmetric engine-out case as well.

Ze_Veteran
16th Aug 2013, 13:40
Thankyou very much for the explanations.

Matt

Cosmo Beauregard
19th Aug 2013, 01:57
God I love Twin Otters! The very first Aircraft I ever worked on professionally. I remember flying from Macon to Atlanta straight up I-75 watching the Greyhound busses pass us underneath. Then running flat out )0 flap landing approaches in to Hartsfield listening to the approach controllers screaming at the 727's behind us to start flying S patterns behind us to keep from falling out of the sky. Usually at the last minute we were cleared for a Taxiway November landing just as one of those impatient 727s comes zooming past us before our wheels touched. Sniff...sniff The glory days of aviation were just beautiful.