PDA

View Full Version : What's your best Mess?

clicker
15th Aug 2013, 17:21
I managed to get a few years in as a adult staff member of the Air Cadets and in that time helped at a few annual camps.

As a result I spent some time in the Sgt's Mess at Lyneham x 2, Wattisham, Swanton Morley, West Raynham and Finningley.

My favourites were Lyneham and Swanton Morley but the others not far behind.

What's your best Mess and why?

Both of mine were because the folks there supported what we did with the kids and joined in, very friendly and a few decent evenings propping up the bar. I had heard that some in both Officer's and Sgt's Messes didn't speak to the cadet folk and that made the camps unpleasant at times. Glad to say I never found one of those stations.

Good way of telling if you fitted in was by the bill at the end of the week. One year only got charged for a daily paper :ok:

lj101
15th Aug 2013, 17:53
Coltishall and Binbrook.

Coltishall because I lived there for about 2 years, diverse mess with lots of young officers who lived in, a mix of Jaguar aircrew mixed with Fighter Controllers from Neatishead - great memories.

Binbrook albeit at the end of its life, with that fantastic cellar bar, I would love to have seen that place in its hey day.

air pig
15th Aug 2013, 18:07
Brawdy Sgts mess with the yanks.

Jumping_Jack
15th Aug 2013, 18:39
Northolt late 80's or Akrotiri early 90's. Both awesome with a fantastic group of 'Livers In'.

SOSL
15th Aug 2013, 18:44
Salalah, in 1974/5. I had a room in the RAF block of the SOAF officers' mess.

We used to be invited to the sgts' mess from time to time - the best barbecues I've every had in my life: goat kebabs, crayfish tails, Dubai prawns, pork chops, fillet steaks, roast vegetables (delicious but unidentifiable), rice, various sauces and fantastic salads plus a lot of the lager that reaches the places...

We were also invited to the Indian workers mess occasionally - without doubt the best curries I have ever experienced, also the most painful (both ways).

Rgds SOS

ICM
15th Aug 2013, 18:53
The Officers' Mess at RAF Hospital Wegberg was closed and amalgamated with the HQ Mess at Rheindahlen on/about 1 July 1993. Despite initial misgivings, the result of mixing the nursing officers with the RAF at large worked exceedingly well and the living-in experience became hectic beyond words. A remarkable time .... says the ex-Senior Living-In Member!

SOSL
15th Aug 2013, 19:25
Wyton in 1973 was pretty good as well because:

a. All the rooms were occupied by livers-in so the mess was alive 7 days a week.

b. There was a respectable number of multi-crew sqns based there so lots of air and ground crew and banter.

c. Every 4 months or so there was a new intake of students for the Joint School of Photographic Interpretation (JSPI) usually including a number of young WRNS, WAAC, WRAF and overseas female students (the Israelis were particularly spectacular).

d. We had a disco in the bar most weekends (see item c. above).

e. Health and safety hadn't been invented and after the weekend disco when we invaded the kitchens and fried our own chicken and chips no one became hysterical (only mildly disapproving).

f. It was my first tour out of training.

g. There was a swimming pool in front of the mess and in the summer (remember when we had summers?) the young ladies from item c. above used to take advantage of it!

h. Cambridge was only a few miles away down the A604 and my favourite undergraduate had a flat (that her parents had bought for her) in De Freville Avenue, near the Fort St George pub.

I could go on but I don't want to bore you.

Rgds SOS

Wander00
15th Aug 2013, 19:33
The pool at Wyton was not far from the front door of our MQ. I moved there when Master W was about 2, and by the time we left he could almost swim. There were tennis courts right outside the door - I recall at a Pathfinder Reunion Ly Bennett (Widow of AVM Don Bennett) telling me she had played tennis there during the war with Anthony Eden. Best night in the Mess - Taranto Night, including the Band of HM Royal Marines playing in the dining room.

drustsonoferp
15th Aug 2013, 19:43
A swimming pool by the Mess at Wyton? That must have been long gone by the time I got there. By then there were very few living in at all: a small number of baby pilots and the very small number left from the largely empty Pavilions. Not particularly exciting by then.

I liked Kinloss a lot. There wasn't the rush away come the weekend that's happened anywhere else I've been, so the social side was good, the Mess staff were friendly - it still felt like a home in a way that nowhere else I've been a LI member have, all of which have been post contractorisation.

Wander00
15th Aug 2013, 20:30
Best mess - Binbrook early 80s despite the internal tensions amongst the higher echelons. Neatishead was pretty good too, especially under Aunty Joan.

TomJoad
15th Aug 2013, 21:03
I think it all comes down to the folk that you are with at the time and the stage of your career. For me it was definitely Kinloss and Lossie, fantastic memories, excellent messes and great part of the country.

sharpend
15th Aug 2013, 21:06
Now come on..... OK so Coltishall in the late seventies, with 3 Jaguar Squadrons, was fantastic, one simple could not beat Akrotiri in the late Sixties. One Lightning Sqn, three strike/attack Canberra Sqns, a Hastings/Argosy outfit and some Whirlwinds, not to mention rock apes and nurses.

Oh, and I forgot, loads of free booze.

There again, RAF Wildenrath in the very late sixties with cheap cars, cheap petrol and free schoolies was heaven.

Cows getting bigger
15th Aug 2013, 21:11
Gutersloh seemed pretty fine to me, especially when the Rinteln Rhinos or the Munster Monsters pooped over for a pint and a poke.

fantom
15th Aug 2013, 21:15
Well, obviously none of you went to Decci early 70s.

Breakfast in the Yanks' mess; lunch from the pizza waggon and dins in the Italian mess.

No-one ever ate in the British mess.

Ever.

Blacksheep
15th Aug 2013, 21:36
Garrison Sergeants Mess at Aldershot. [Once we got over the extreme formality in their dining room and they got over the shock of having Royal Air Force "guests".]

air pig
16th Aug 2013, 00:08
Lived in Nursing Officers Mess at Halton 5 guys the rest ladies, what more is there to say, some of the most fantastic people in the world.

MrBernoulli
16th Aug 2013, 03:07
I quite enjoyed RAF Church Fenton Officers' Mess, when the station was still 7 FTS. Small but very friendly and lively.

Tankertrashnav
16th Aug 2013, 08:44
Catterick in the mid 60s. Loads of livers-in, lovely oak-panelled bar with Thompson of Kilburn bar stools! Nearly all the marrieds lived in nearby OMQ (nobody bought houses in those days) and they came in and swelled the numbers quite regularly. Very lively atmosphere with regular dining-in nights and parties which everyone attended.

All part of an RAF which if what I read on here is true seems to have gone for ever.

Worst one Gaydon - soulless barn of a place.

(I liked Church Fenton too, Mr Bernoulli :ok:)

Wyler
16th Aug 2013, 08:46
Coltishall.

Great Mess, very lively and fantastic location. Lived there as a singly and in MQs.

Very happy memories and still try to go back once a year for a look round. Bit sad now though :(

1.3VStall
16th Aug 2013, 08:48
The OM at Gutersloh. Goering's Room and the Kellar Bar: happy memories!:)

Warmtoast
16th Aug 2013, 09:13
Sgt's Mess at Abingdon 1959 who let Bridgette Bardot have a drink in their mess after the Abingdon Officer's Mess refused her entry - improperly dressed perhaps?

BB was making the film "Babette Goes to War" part of which was shot at Abingdon.

News cutting below:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/BabetteGoestoWar-PressCuttings5_393.jpg

SOSL
16th Aug 2013, 10:31
What MrB and TTN said. It was a great little mess in the early eighties.

Rgds SOS

Wrathmonk
16th Aug 2013, 10:32
Wyton Officers Mess, late 80's, cocktails on the roof, proper scruffs bar for when the grown ups insisted those in uniform leave the bar on a Friday night at 7pm (with an honesty system that made a profit rather than a loss!) - all a bit of a haze really! Swimming pool was nearer the main gate (other side of the sports pitches) than by the Mess and was still there then (though being outdoors didn't get used much if I recall).

langleybaston
16th Aug 2013, 10:38
RAF Mess Rheindahlen was a centre of excellence until the forced merger with the army to become "Churchill".

The behaviour of the brown jobs, and of their teen-age children, was totally beyond horse-play and high jinks ........... an Oktoberfest c. 1995 was the last straw for many RAF members and thereafter few of us voluntarily attended any functions ........... it was just a place to stick your visitors in, and a place to pick up your duty-frees.

Sad

DeepestSouth
16th Aug 2013, 10:42
Definitely Church Fenton 1971-72 - my first Mess and great people. Up there as well is Kinloss 1975/76 - again, a great bunch and lively 'livers in' who made it a joy to live there.

Most unusual - Fylingdales 1976>78 where there were only 2 livers-in, me and P*** H*********. There were more staff than livers-in!

DS

Basil
16th Aug 2013, 11:03
Well, banned from the bar at Shawbury for being improperly dressed (not helped by supporting friend referring to SDO as "Jack-booted thug!"), 'spoken to' at Cottesmore re entertaining lady friend in room so, perhaps, Thorney Island or Wyton with its location, mix of mess occupants* and brandy Alexanders at Alconbury.

*Recollect French & Portuguese PI students being less than congratulatory re Brit cuisine :}

SOSL
16th Aug 2013, 11:43
Mentioned my best mess at #7 so this isn't strictly an answer to the OP, because it doesn't refer to my best mess just a bl00dy good one.

I had quite a few good experiences in all sorts of messes at all stages of my RAF career:

Back in the summer of 1972 I spent 3 months at the Rehab centre, RAF Headley Court, living in the officers' mess and being tortured, daily, in the gym.

One of the other inmates was an ex-RAF Victor pilot who had been shot down while flying for SOAF. He had good contacts with the hosties working for an airline based at Gatwick and he suggested that we (e.g. him, me and an Ethiopian QFI (back injury following ejection) who had all become friends) should have a small dinner with 3 of these hosties.

He invited the girls and spoke to the Flt Sgt Mess manager. We three pooled the money that we hadn't been spending for the past few months and organized a taxi for the ladies to and from.

They arrived after the normal dinner, for the other mess members, had finished and we had a great time having pre-dinner drinks in the mess bar (believe it or not one of the girls had Babycham). Then the Flt Sgt appeared, wearing his full Mess Kit and invited us into the dining room.

It was dark and all the tables had been moved to the sides of the room, except for one in the middle of the room which was beautifully set with crisp linen, a few pieces of mess silver, some flowers and a silver candelabra. The ladies were stunned.

The Flt Sgt (bear in mind this was in his own time) supervised our meal throughout, which consisted of Prawn Cocktail (well it was 1972!), the best Tournedos Rossini I remember and Baked Alaska.

We repaired to the bar and chilled out with brandy and liqueurs and choclates.

The girls finally left and I reflected on what might have happened if I hadn't had a plaster cast from thigh to ankle on my left leg and my arm in a sling.

I will always remember the generosity of the mess staff for creating such a magical moment for the six of us that evening.

The air round here is getting a bit dusty, best I log out.

Rgds SOS

MRAF
16th Aug 2013, 12:50
Wittering: 1997 - Good fun, plenty of boozing & banter, used to put a card on your door with wake up time and brew order and a member of mess staff would bring you a cup of tea! :ooh:

Wyton: 1998 - Half empty, used as a spill over Mess for Brampton as well as for DLO in the Pavs. Scruffs bar was great. Still had the old outdooer pool just over the field out the front, ideal for summers evenings, bloody freezing most of the time.:cool:

Brampton: 1999-2000 - Beautiful old building, not a classic RAF Mess. Great days were had in the bar. Top mess staff, average food though.:D

Aldergrove: 2000 - Very, very drunk! Amazing prizes at the Xmas Ball, a car! Parties all the time. Food was outstanding.:)

Bruggen: 2001 - End of an era but what a place. Great times, non-stop closure parties and a very active bar scene. Most accomadation looking very tired and no money for works services. Handed over to the Army :{

Marham: 2001-2003 - Best Mess ive lived in, great food, very active social scene, MONGA ruled the roost. MONGA 'cocktail parties' that always got out of hand, this was the true end of the fun days of the RAF Mess before the fun police stepped in.:O:E:yuk::}

High Wycombe: 2003-2006 - Last Mess that I lived in and only for 6 months. Stuffy, average and very formal food, depressing. I got the hell out of there and bought a house.:confused:

Chicksands: 2006-2009 - Army mess. Amazingly beautiful building full of history. Terrible food. Spoilt by fun police and Army stuffyness. :\

Waddington: 2009 to date - Used to be the most fantastic food ... until PAYD came in, now its below average. Never had the life of a Mess like Marham (back in the day) but getting worse. Poorly atteneded functions, no fun or shannanigans, dull. Terrible shame. :sad:

Melchett01
16th Aug 2013, 14:21
Bentley Priory circa 1999/2000. Happy hours with beer at 35p / pint, cocktails in the Italian gardens over looking London, a mad dog that scampered down the corridor but always forgot about the 90 degree turn so every evening you heard woof woof woof, scampering paws, thud, whimper whimper whimper, a Mess steward (Sandy IIRC) who was ex Royal Yacht and for whom nothing was too much trouble and Battle of Britain cocktail parties where there were more DFCs in one room than I've ever seen in the rest of my career. :D

Boulmer was an interesting place. Middle of nowhere, a beautiful beach and a lot of alcoholics (FC studes), one of whom (f) had clothes that always seemed to lose the battle with gravity and end up on the floor after some drunken dare. :p

Marham - contrary to MRAF's recollection, I thought it sucked. Middle of nowhere and very cliquey. When I was posted back in 2008 it had got even worse as the cliques that had propped the bar up had all gone, half the sqns never even made it round the peritrack to the other side of the stn and happy hour was commonly known as slightly less miserable hour. :uhoh: I lasted 6 weeks there before I bought a house and got out of dodge.

Not a Mess as such, but the VIP block in Baghdad was a rather nice place to be quartered for a war. Coffee, cake and internet on tap 24/7 and veranda overlooking the lake where you could sit out at night and watch the light and sound show courtesy of the Mahdi Army and Spectres / Spookies

pontifex
16th Aug 2013, 14:42
Wittering 1959 - A mixture of us youngsters and the last few war time warriors. The bar was always full, both at lunchtime and in the evening (that is before we all decamped to "Jim's Lemonade Shop" in Ufford). A bunch of real characters many of whom would be seen with grey parrots on their shoulders. These came from visits to Lagos where they were plentiful in the market and there were no import restrictions. In addition to his parrot one guy also had a siamese cat and an alligator in his room. He eventually went on an arabic course and was last heard of rushing around the Radfan on a camel. Would love to know what became of him, he was a good friend. The other best mess was Headly Court in 1966 - lots of parties and organised visits to London and superlative food. Pity about the necessary daytime torture!

Opsbeatch
16th Aug 2013, 15:20
Gutersloh seemed pretty fine to me, especially when the Rinteln Rhinos or the Munster Monsters pooped over for a pint and a poke.

What he said!

OB

Tankertrashnav
16th Aug 2013, 17:05
'spoken to' at Cottesmore re entertaining lady friend in room

A little tale to show what a different world we live in now from that which existed when I was serving in the so-called "swinging 60s".

After the summer ball in the officers' mess at a FEAF station in 1967 a young pilot decided he would "entertain" a WRAF officer, who happened to be his fiancee, in his room. Said WRAF was observed leaving the room by an officious RAFP who reported the incident. To cut a long story short the pair were formally interviewed by the C in C, no less, reprimanded and docked a year's seniority each, a punishment which was subsequently Gazetted. So much for being "spoken to"!

Anyone under the age of 50 will probably find that story incredible, but it is certainly true. Anyway I for one am very happy that in this respect, at least, standards have been relaxed since those priggish days.

SOSL
16th Aug 2013, 17:28
One weekend on a large UK base, early 70's.

At 0 dark.00 hrs, Fg Off SOS and then girlfriend tiptoe down upper wing of the mess headed for the fire escape.

Once we are fully committed, the door to the suite next to the fire door slowly opens, we freeze.

OC Ops Wing steps into corridor ..... shortly followed by WRAF Sgt from Flight Planning. We waited until they had exited through the fire door and then after a few minutes we carried on.

I don't know if he spotted us and I don't know if he knew that I knew etc etc.

He never mentioned it and I never mentioned it.

Rgds SOS

SPIT
16th Aug 2013, 17:28
Waddington Sgts Mess in 80s

Old Ned
16th Aug 2013, 17:50
Probably the Nursing Officers' Mess at Halton in the 60s. Much (proper) fun and the members always made visitors welcome. Halton House Mess paled into insignificance by comparison. Went past the old building, many years later. Sad, but I though I could hear the laughter on the wind!

The Old Fat One
16th Aug 2013, 18:10
The No 2 Sgts Mess RAF Finningley 1975-1976. As two nurses fought over me (literally) I mused..."enjoy this, it will never get any better". I was right.

Haraka
16th Aug 2013, 18:12
Gutersloh OM. 77-78 for me, following the move from Wilders.
Happy carefree days as a "singlie"
We were so lucky.

lsd
16th Aug 2013, 18:22
Riyan officers mess 1967: the walk across the sand, past our parked Wessex within the wire, to the evening meal was always a time for anticipation and pleasure for another satisfactory day. Total number of mess members was 4, the senior a Flt. Lt. and the food interesting,the beer flowing and the company fascinating. Fortunately the building was only one storey high and it was not painful when I stepped off the flat roof on the opposite side to the external steps.(my 21st birthday and maybe associating with G Sqn 22 SAS had something to do with it)Acklington 1969: Andy the chef would check on Friday how and when you wanted your steaks done over the weekend - and would put out a crate of Newcastle Amber in the TV room to keep you going when the bar/pubs were closed.

Lima Juliet
16th Aug 2013, 18:32
Best Mess?

3. Halton House Officers' Mess...:)

2. Bentley Priory Officers' Mess...:{

1. Filton Block RAF Finningley Officers' Mess...:E (oh, what drink and debauchery!)

LJ

Wensleydale
16th Aug 2013, 18:38
Anyone under the age of 50 will probably find that story incredible, but it
is certainly true

I heard that on the morning after a mess function (possibly a summer ball at the end of the 1970s?) the head batty went around a wing of the Filton Block accommodation at Finningley and locked any Nav Student who was "entertaining" into his own room in order to provide evidence for the PMC. Much was said from both sides, but I recall that it was hushed up and no further action was taken.

Was anyone on this thread there?

smujsmith
16th Aug 2013, 19:12
I remember a summer ball at Machrihanish, early 1980s. I was a member of the station golf team, as we're several other Sgts Mess members. Due to its northerly location, midnight arrives and the WO Golf team manager suggests a night stroke play match. Over the crash gate we go and do a full 18, in Mess Kit, from 10 to 18, then back to 9. Wives, in ball gowns were caddies and no one lost a ball. About an hour after arriving back at the Mess a small trophy was awarded at the Champagne breakfast.

Machrihanish was a great little Sgts Mess, around 30 members maximum, a connecting door for the few living in Officers to come through to use the bar, we often insisted that stay and join whatever was going on. But the Golf match was great fun, I left before the next Summer Ball, but I believe there was a plan to continue it as a tradition.

Basil
16th Aug 2013, 20:20
at the end of the 1970s?) the head batty went around a wing of the Filton Block accommodation at Finningley and locked any Nav Student who was "entertaining"
I'm astonished for two reasons:
1. That happened even at the end of the 70s - when Bas was safely and happily ensconced in civil aviation.
2. That a batman would do such a thing. Even in the 60s/early70s the great batmen seemed to 'know' when one had company and two cups of tea would be left discreetly OUTSIDE one's room.

Union Jack
16th Aug 2013, 20:55
Mess steward (Sandy IIRC) who was ex Royal Yacht and for whom nothing was too much trouble

Which reminds me to say that the Wardroom on the Yacht would be very hard to beat as the best mess.

Jack

Pontius Navigator
16th Aug 2013, 21:11
Cottesmore 1966.

Walk to the pub in Greetham in less time than it took to getb your car of out the garage and drive there.

Full livers in including 2 of the 3 seco huts.

Good batting staff.

Good parties - if livers out moved in livers in moved out. Sometimes two parties in the mess. Livers out with lights on and livers in with lights off.

The Ball. None of your allocation of rooms to sqns. Jeff Grubb (35 I think) said he would organise all the decoration. Took over the front hall and had entrance through a side door - head to head with the staish and he won.

And great bunch of blokes on all the sqns. TEL Jarron for one and many others.

Basil
16th Aug 2013, 22:39
Cottesmore 1966.
Walk to the pub in Greetham
Used to go to the RamJam. Vick & Eraine King running it at the time.

L J R
17th Aug 2013, 00:37
Cadets Mess RAAF Pearce - well in the '80s anyway!....Can't do what was done then now...(Dress :mad: of 'guest' serving staff on the occasional 'members only' evenings was of particular note.)

DON T
17th Aug 2013, 09:27
Changi Airmen's Mess 67-69.

Counted 56 different choices on the menu one lunchtime.

Notice at breakfast one morning, 'Sorry we have run out of tinned grapefruit, you'll have to put up with fresh.'

sisemen
17th Aug 2013, 09:39
Wittering 85-87. Probably because I was the senior liver-in and between wives.

And in response to the OP there was one particularly delectable Air Training Corps pilot officer who we made feel very welcome. Caused me to be late for work one morning - well, I couldn't go in the state I was in :E

Benson was rather good at times - particularly when I was PMC :ok:

Honington - because Mike Shaw allowed the strippers in for "entertainment" one happy hour. :ok:

BBadanov
17th Aug 2013, 09:42
Laarbruch O'Mess weekends in the early 80s, the "Aussie breakfast"
- steak, eggs, bacon, mushrooms.

Even after I moved out, I would go there for breakfast... oh, and for the beautiful serving wenches !

Wander00
17th Aug 2013, 10:44
Anyone remember the dining out of DC by Binbrook Sgts' Mess in 82 - OCAW, OCPMS and I were advised to leave before the entertainment - rumour is that the photo of the stripper on DC's lap was through the letterbox at his MQ (trying to remember the names of the houses - I know OC 11's was Eagles Eyrie and OC 5, Maple Manor) before he was home.

SOSL
18th Aug 2013, 12:50
RAF Leuchars, late 70's when the old HMS Ark Royal was being de-commissioned and 892 RNAS was being stood down. There were more section do's, beer calls and farewell parties in a few short weeks than you could shake a stick at on a wet Sunday.

Final, final beercall in the OM. Matelots install loudspeakers and clear the central area in the bar, loudspeakers start blaring out "The Stripper" music small blond lady wearing chiffon cloak, high heels and little else dances in the cleared floorspace. Matelots gently nudge RAF Staish to the front of the crowd (funnily enough his name rhymes with Staish).

Next morning in mess reception there is an A0 size (I know A0 didn't exist then but that sort of size) of the Staish licking beer off the young lady's mammaries. Courtesy of the RN Photo G trade.

Rgds SOS

si.
19th Aug 2013, 01:33
Boulmer was always an interesting place, despite almost all the regular personnel going home on Friday, just as we arrived to run courses for local Air Cadets / adult staff. The bar was rather quiet with just half a dozen of us, but the duty crew from 202 sometimes joined us for lunch. (I think they took pity on us, surrounded by all our friends!...:rolleyes:)

I vividly recall my first evening in the bar at Machrihanish one weekend, as a rather junior Pilot Officer (with a note from home allowing me to stay out that night), when staffing an Air Cadet Summer Camp. A member of mess staff came in asking for me, requesting I contact the guardroom asap. One phone call later, and I was informed the SDO had been injured, and was on route to Campbelltown hospital."Who did I want to inform?" "What action did I want to take?" I suggested the Gaurdroom contact the most senior officer available, who would be able to either deputise for the SDO, or appoint another. "We just did...!"

Attending camps or courses were often enjoyable, simply because the messes were full during the week...:ok:

Robert Cooper
19th Aug 2013, 01:49
RAF Seletar West Camp (Aircrew) Sergeants Mess in 1962. The bar had a VHF fit for ordering dinner prior to landing. Loud underpants nights, loud tie nights, etc. Was eventually closed down by the staish because we never held a formal function.

Bob C

NutLoose
19th Aug 2013, 18:51
Bruggen Airman's, more bars than you could shake a fist at, steak bar, omelette bar, outside barbecue, and if you wanted alcohol have one of the sweets they did, you could have got drunk on the trifles.

If you had the best chef on who was practising for when he came out ( Jag era ) Bruggen on Q

Fatjoff
19th Aug 2013, 19:15
"Wittering 85-87. Probably because I was the senior liver-in and between wives. "

I was a liver-in then too. I seem to remember the senior liver-in being OC Ops. That wasn't you, was it???

smujsmith
19th Aug 2013, 19:50
I was a very lucky boy, well, a very lucky C130 Aircraft Ground Engineer. Allocated to a route that had all the looks of " something to be forgotten very quickly". Our task, take some "boffins" to Ascension Island so that they could observe something. On completion of their observations, bring them home. Nothing special, ASI would give us the opportunity to uplift some South African Port, and Castle beer to bring home. Off we went.

The usual, night stop Dakar southbound, with a planned Banjul night stop on the way back. It was only on arrival at ASI that OC Ops, at the time an Albert Captain, explained the reason for our visit, and the presence of all the American reconnaissance hardware on the pan. The latest phase of British Trident missile was about to be tested, before acceptance into the British Nuclear arsenal (or was it Man Utd)? Anyway I diverge, as usual, ASI was in fact the target for the trial and the missile was fired as I remember from the Carribean.

Come the night and all of the crew, including my non commissioned self, were invited to witness the event from the Officers Mess. What a night. The place was full of people who knew every in and out of Nuclear warfare that I had ever heard. Certainly several G & Ts were quaffed, during briefings and advice from experts, but sitting watching the "dummy" warheads "MIRV" over our heads, exactly on time, was the most sobering thing I have ever seen. If you ever see it, all you can think is "Jesus, if this was for real, I'm a goner". The post apocalypse party was tremendous, as one of the survivors I was able to claim my extra ration. A sight I will never forget, people I will never forget. An Officers Mess I will always remember with respect and gratitude for an experience I could never dream of having.

Smudge

kintyred
19th Aug 2013, 20:25
Farnborough 1984

Barely a dozen officers, amazing history on every wall, staff who couldn't do enough for you and a set of mess rules that basically left things to the discretion of the individual. They don't make 'em like that any more!

sisemen
20th Aug 2013, 01:46
I seem to remember the senior liver-in being OC Ops. That wasn't you, was it???

Nope. OC PMS

Canadian Break
20th Aug 2013, 15:45
Troodos (280 SU) - Do I need to say more.

Boulmer - best kept secret in the Air Force (well done Tom Gray and (nearly) all who went before.:ok:

navstar1
20th Aug 2013, 17:34
RAF Sharjah 1966 :ok:

MPN11
20th Aug 2013, 18:59
I am deeply shocked that nobody has yet mention … RAF Tengah, 67-70.

The last gasps of 64 & 60's Javelins, 74's Nings, 45 & 81 with Canberras (B and PR), 20's Hunters and their FAC Flight of SEPs. Mega Dets from Aussies at Butterworth with the Mirage IIIO, innumerable visitors. Then the embryo RSAF.

Huge Officers Mess, Posh and Pigs Bars with the Mess plumbed for cold Tiger, lunchtime steak sarnies on the Patio, the croquet lawn with a tree in the middle, the Station pool, down-town Singapore before Bugis Street got cleaned up, other Officers Clubs and swimming pools everywhere (Army and RN). Sun-tanned daughters.

You could even visit RAF Seletar and see the Bar shutters come down precisely at 2300, even in mid-order, and then drive home again, cursing the miserable stn cdr of the day.

Last Days of Empire, chaps. Glad I got to see it. Some of you may recognise some others who were there in the Pigs Bar [which was hosed out for cleaning around 1930] - including a couple of future Air Mshls [and another not in those photos, who became CAS] >>>>

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm468/atco5473/PPRuNe%20ATC/scan1.jpeg (http://s319.photobucket.com/user/atco5473/media/PPRuNe%20ATC/scan1.jpeg.html)

I won't elaborate on the close-down Ball, where the massive Mess Funds surplus from a long Det of 3 and 75 RAAF had boosted the coffers. Just accept - it was an amazing and unforgettable night.

Spikey CFI
21st Aug 2013, 13:58
Officers Mess Scampton was quite good in the 80s. Cottesmore even better during the early 90s as a TTTE mess with lots of Italian & German money.
Ascension mess had one of the best views with an open air bar and bouganvileau over the top.
Best for food and atmosphere was at HMS Drake (RN wardroom) and the worst (in my opinion) was a RM Mess (Chivenor) which had been better in the old RAF days of the early 90s.
Happy days as a liver-in...

cuefaye
21st Aug 2013, 20:05
MPN
Lucky you- I had to endure my second sandpit (war-goers pse note terminology) tour in Bahrein at that time. I think I recognise one or two in those piccies. Are you sure there isn't a future CAS amongst them? And is one a bROOMstick? And the moustachio-ed chappy from Chivenor who became the daddy of the SAF (name tempo eludes me).

Amazing times - but say it quietly, less we upset today's war-goers!