PDA

View Full Version : Doors off external load ops

Bitmonx
15th Aug 2013, 15:28
Will taking all doors off in an AS350 improve the lift capability while slinging?
Some pilot told me that it actually will have a negative effect on performance since the downwash will push on the cabin floor, therby nullify or even lessen the benefit of the weight removed from the AC which I believe is about 200 lbs. I would estimate the two front doors, 2 pocket doors and seat cushion will weigh about 150 to 200 lbs,?

Ready2Fly
15th Aug 2013, 15:33
I have no idea to your question in detail but take it this way: If it did, you'd expect to see much more of them operating doors off, wouldn't you?

In general: If you are working that close to the limits of an AS350, you should probably consider a different helicopter for the job.

But maybe the question is meant more theoretically.

500guy
15th Aug 2013, 16:00
Downwash induced drag is real but I dont believe it is nearly enough to compensate for the weight lost. We sling with our Astar with the right side doors off 24/7 365, for visibility more than weight.

As someone else said, if that small amount of weight is the difference between you being able to pick a load or not, you likely need a medium.

Bitmonx
15th Aug 2013, 17:58
24 hours a day, I would like to see that.....

500guy
15th Aug 2013, 23:19
The doors are off 24/7. Even when its in the Hangar. :)

Fun Police
15th Aug 2013, 23:41
doors and seat cushions weigh nothing close to 150-200 lbs.

i do external load work in the B2 constantly (seismic) and find the advantage that doors off provides with increased visibility to far "outweigh" any performance degradation resulting from downwash hitting the floor which if you were to ask me, i'd say is negligible.

do you have the chinook longline window installed? it really is a must for repetitive (sp?) lift operations.

regards,
fp

RVDT
16th Aug 2013, 09:45
Doors off in the hover probably makes very little if any difference, apart from the lower empty weight of course.

Climb performance and speed in forward flight is more than likely reduced or limited.

If there is a performance penalty it will be in the basic RFM or supplement for any additional equipment or configuration.

Flyting
16th Aug 2013, 10:57
Visability
Slight weight reduction
............and the big one....... you don't sweat your balls off on a hot day :ooh:

Try find someone slinging with doors off in freezing conditions.
When I've done survey flying with a bird hanging underneath, I kept the doors on just for the comfort of not having the wind blowing at you all flight. Some pilots can't sling with the door on. Takes a bit of getting used to