PDA

View Full Version : VIH KA32 Engine Failure

Mongo Bongo
15th Aug 2013, 09:02
Occurence Summary Narrative:
“UPDATE TSB Report A13P0163: The VIH Helicopter Kamov KA32A11BC, Registeration C-GKHL, s/n (31594)8891/03, was carring out fire supression operation with a water bucket. Just after lifting a load of water out of a high level mountain lake, there was a bang and the helicopter began to shake violently. The flying pilot headed the helicopter to an emergency landing site, while the non-flying pilot released the external load (line and bucket) with difficulty. They could not get the helicopter to point in the direction they were tracking and while there were no caution lights the shaking was such that they could not see the instrument displays. The helicopter contacted the ground going sideways and rolled on its starboard side. The main-rotor blades contacted the ground and broke. The crew was able to shut the engines off and exit with minor injuries. There was no fire.

Does anyone have more info on this ?

John Eacott
15th Aug 2013, 09:35
Photo off BookFace, from Oceania Aviation:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5580-1/KA32+bingle.jpg

skadi
15th Aug 2013, 10:09
That doesnt really sounds like an engine failure, does it?
More like a mechanical malfunction of a dynamic system.

skadi

Mongo Bongo
15th Aug 2013, 12:55
Thanks John!

Skadi
As you probably already know? with low/flat pitch on the KA32 you have little yaw control- little differential pitch- and too slow for the rudders to work. So if you lower the collective sharply to regain RRPM it would be difficult to get the machine lined up before touchdown. High hovering auto descent rate is startling in comparison to say a Puma or 61.

I had an engine failure in the KA32, but at around 40 knots - yaw control was no issue - but lack of yaw control at low pitch is something I'm always aware of in tight areas like dipping water, trying to line up early with the best spot available, just in case!:eek:

The vibrations could be anything really as the KA is not the smoothest machine around and I get weird vibrations at times that just come and go. The pilots were apparently very experienced on type and I guess I'm just thinking it was a tough job well done by the crew.

It will be interesting to hear the full report when published.

ps- I just realized that it doesn't clearly say it was an engine failure
but I had an email from a friend saying that he heard it it was an engine failure with vibration. But it's 3rd hand.

Shawn Coyle
15th Aug 2013, 21:11
Any details of time and place?

Ian Corrigible
15th Aug 2013, 21:20
August 5th, Bella Coola Valley, BC. Full details on CADORS (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/cadors-screaq/m.aspx?lang=eng) (#2013P1171).

I/C