PDA

View Full Version : Vegas to Grand Canyon air trip for the day for VFM?

nivsy
13th Aug 2013, 13:08
On our way to Vegas for a short time in November. There are plenty of options available on the net for day trips to and at the Canyon and all at differing budgets....although some of the trips no matter who you choose are basically the same.

So the question is - who offers the best do you think? Twin Otters or the Dorniers 228's is it? Helicopters - are they the best? Obviously a good flight and then opportunity to be taken to view and photograph the canyon all within a day is the aim.

wub
13th Aug 2013, 14:35
I did a trip with Heli USA a few years ago. There was a 'convoy' of four helicopters, each taking a different route to the canyon but landing next to each other on the banks of the Colorado River. On the way we orbited the Hoover Dam and flew at low-level across Lake Mead. On landing we enjoyed the supplied picnic lunch and sparkling wine before heading back. Some of the helicopters flew down the river but our pilot gave us what he called "the IMAX tour" where we flew, seemingly, close to the wall of the canyon about half way up for many miles, before popping out and transiting at low level back to Vegas.

It was a trip I'll never forget, well worth the money. The only snag is getting a sense of scale, everything is so vast that it is hard to comprehend what you are seeing. In this photo the top of the canyon is about 5,00 feet up! Go for it, is is a trip to treasure.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/heliUSA_zps9673a494.jpg

purplehelmet
13th Aug 2013, 14:51
hi nivsy.
I did a helicopter trip in april this year, cost was around £220 and worth every penny, we had a "free" limo service from our hotel to the airport, the flight was about 45mins each way and took in the hoover dam and flew low along the Colorado river before landing and having a champagne picnic in the canyon. took loads of photos before flying back to las vegas along the strip.
enjoy vegas and the canyon, its awesome.

TCXCadet
13th Aug 2013, 15:29
Hello,

I did the trip a few months ago. I read lots of reviews before going and decided I would prefer to go to the south rim. It was absolutely incredible and I totally agree with all the people saying it's the "proper" Grand Canyon.

The package I chose flew us across to Canyon airport where a bus was waiting to take us round a few of the best vantage points. You could add a heli flight around the south rim for extra. I don't want to be accused of advertising, but PM me if you would like more details. It was $344 and took 7.5 hours from door to door.

It's a long day out, but well worth it.

http://pdphoto.org/jons/pictures5/roadtrip_10_bg_041606.jpg

The only possible downside is that helicopters aren't allowed to land on the canyon floor as it's the National Park.

Hope you enjoy!

Akrotiri bad boy
14th Aug 2013, 09:07
Helicopter without a doubt.
Choose a departure time that will bring you back along the strip at dusk. Did this listening to Tom Petty on the headset, "I'm Learning To Fly But I Ain't Got Wings".
Absolutely :mad: brilliant!

nivsy
14th Aug 2013, 17:11
thanks for the advice and the super pic of the chopper at the grand canyon wub!

I think will go for the tour that includes flights to south rim, helicopter rie for 20 mins or so and vantage points around the south rim. Yes looking forward to the trip.

Nivsy:)

V800
14th Aug 2013, 17:24
The only possible downside is that helicopters aren't allowed to land on the canyon floor as it's the National Park.

I did a helicopter trip to the canyon floor in 2001 where we landed in the bit that is an Indian Reservation not the National Park.

vespasia
19th Aug 2013, 07:02
Did this trip with Sundance last month, helicopter is the way to go whether it's the landing or the South Rim. Maverick and HeliUSA also operate from McCarran and Grand Canyon Helis from Boulder City, so take your pick of the bunch - I couldn't fault Sundance but haven't used the others.....whatever you choose, you'll love it!

Steve

http://vespasia.smugmug.com/Holidays/Las-Vegas-2013/i-fVtvPz7/0/XL/DSC_8432-XL.jpg

http://vespasia.smugmug.com/Holidays/Las-Vegas-2013/i-xfbR5gt/0/XL/DSC_8415-XL.jpg

http://vespasia.smugmug.com/Holidays/Las-Vegas-2013/i-XZkHG8m/0/XL/DSC_8368-XL.jpg

:ok:

EastMids
19th Aug 2013, 07:34
There are, essentially, two types of tour offered from the Las Vegas area - either from Las Vegas airport itself, or from North Las Vegas Air Terminal or Boulder City airport.

Firstly there are the helicopter-only trips from Las Vegas to the West Rim which take two or three hours. Secondly there are the fixed wing flights from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon airport that are usually linked with either a ground trip to the rim or a helicopter flight over the South Rim that take most of the day.

If you're short on time or money the West Rim tours are undoubtedly the best option. The West Rim isn't the "famous" Grand Canyon of most pictures though - that's the South Rim. I'm not suggesting that the West Rim is not a spectacular trip, but if you really want to see what most people's vision of the canyon is you need to go on the longer trip and combine the fixed wing flight from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon airport with a trip over or to the South Rim.